The Student Room Group

I need YOU.... TO HELP ME... I AM FREAKIN OUT....

Okay, so if you guys opened this post thank you very much .

In Short: I am girl from third world country who did entire O Level (6 As) without a teacher due to lack of resources. I am doing A Level now in math, business and Economics. I completed O Level in 3 Years and A Level in 2.5, since I had to completely self study. I am also working part time as business content writer. And I am dying in my heart to go to a good university as Cambridge or Harvard. Please tell me my chances.

If you have time - Details: Guys, I am a case of academic amazement really. I was a topper in my local school. Have so many shields. But then I felt that I absolutely couldn't hold up the turtle speed and sub-standard quality of education. I wanted to jump into Cambridge qualification but my single mother couldn't bear the costs. And so I decided to take up the burden on my own shoulders.

It was a big jump. I knew no word of English. The difference in standard was of miles. In frst year of O level I got A in Urdu, B in Pak. Studies and C in Islam. Second year, A* in Economics, A in Business, A* in Commerce and Third year, A* in Math, A in English.

Now i am giving A level Business, Math and Economics. I personally expect As if I give them in 2016 June, at age of 18 and 9 months. I could have given them earlier even if i had to study without a teacher, but i got involved in assignments. In first year of A level I was practically doing two jobs. Working as content writer and manager for local firm, and also doing online assignments of masters - level students. So i didn't get much time to study.

What will universities think of me. Will they get me for my hardworking and potential nature. Or reject me on some lousy basis. I can get a proof of my first job, but the students whop made me write their assignments won't give me certificate for it. I don't have O level School. But my local school teachers had me as their favorites ( will they be eligible to have a say in application form) and my employer and can give some excellent review and reference of me.

Please help

You have got to help me. Or if i die out of frustration my ghost will haunt you for centuries you know...
Original post by AreebaKausar
Okay, so if you guys opened this post thank you very much .

In Short: I am girl from third world country who did entire O Level (6 As) without a teacher due to lack of resources. I am doing A Level now in math, business and Economics. I completed O Level in 3 Years and A Level in 2.5, since I had to completely self study. I am also working part time as business content writer. And I am dying in my heart to go to a good university as Cambridge or Harvard. Please tell me my chances.

If you have time - Details: Guys, I am a case of academic amazement really. I was a topper in my local school. Have so many shields. But then I felt that I absolutely couldn't hold up the turtle speed and sub-standard quality of education. I wanted to jump into Cambridge qualification but my single mother couldn't bear the costs. And so I decided to take up the burden on my own shoulders.

It was a big jump. I knew no word of English. The difference in standard was of miles. In frst year of O level I got A in Urdu, B in Pak. Studies and C in Islam. Second year, A* in Economics, A in Business, A* in Commerce and Third year, A* in Math, A in English.

Now i am giving A level Business, Math and Economics. I personally expect As if I give them in 2016 June, at age of 18 and 9 months. I could have given them earlier even if i had to study without a teacher, but i got involved in assignments. In first year of A level I was practically doing two jobs. Working as content writer and manager for local firm, and also doing online assignments of masters - level students. So i didn't get much time to study.

What will universities think of me. Will they get me for my hardworking and potential nature. Or reject me on some lousy basis. I can get a proof of my first job, but the students whop made me write their assignments won't give me certificate for it. I don't have O level School. But my local school teachers had me as their favorites ( will they be eligible to have a say in application form) and my employer and can give some excellent review and reference of me.

Please help

You have got to help me. Or if i die out of frustration my ghost will haunt you for centuries you know...

That's an interesting way to ask for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP: I doubt anyone on TSR has enough experience of people in your situation to say. I suggest e-mailing the universities you are interested in to see whether they would consider admitting you.

I suspect the greatest limitation will be your poor English skills.
Reply 3
Original post by PythianLegume
OP: I doubt anyone on TSR has enough experience of people in your situation to say. I suggest e-mailing the universities you are interested in to see whether they would consider admitting you.

I suspect the greatest limitation will be your poor English skills.

Oh boy. You got me wrong dear, this is a huge limitation that I overcame. Again on basis of self study, I acquired an A in English. I am a regular online blogger, poet and story-writer now.
Oh boy. You got me wrong dear, this is a huge limitation that I overcame. Again on basis of self study, I acquired an A in English. I am a regular online blogger, poet and story-writer now.

And as a native English speaker, I'm telling you that your English isn't great. It's very impressive that you taught yourself to the standard you are, but from reading your posts, your English isn't that good. But if you can pass the tests they give to second-language speakers, then it's all good.
I just don't like the bragging. Telling a bunch of strangers on the internet how wonderful you are won't get you anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
And as a native English speaker, I'm telling you that your English isn't great. It's very impressive that you taught yourself to the standard you are, but from reading your posts, your English isn't that good. But if you can pass the tests they give to second-language speakers, then it's all good.

Oh..Alright..got it...
THANK YOU :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Coffeetime
I just don't like the bragging. Telling a bunch of strangers on the internet how wonderful you are won't get you anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for replying
I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for replying

You're welcome. And as already suggested, definitely get in contact with some universities. They will be best equipped at helping you out. Also check the international pages of the universities. Often they do visits to other countries for prospective students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As far as I'm aware, universities in the UK require non-native speakers to achieve a certain band in the Academic IELTS (International English Language Testing System). American universities require a certain score in TOEFL, their version of IELTS.
The standard of IELTS is pitiful.
Does giving A level in 2.5 year instead of two make its value decreased near the university? If you have some part time experience alongside the 2.5years,will it still be not accepted at Cambridge. Because I have heard that :frown:
Does giving A level in 2.5 year instead of two make its value decreased near the university? If you have some part time experience alongside the 2.5years,will it still be not accepted at Cambridge. Because I have heard that :frown:

You're the sort of case where only the university can tell you. Your situation is extremely specific to you so contact them and see what they say.

Swap 'giving' for 'taking' as you take your a levels, not give them.

Good luck with everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending