Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have recently been informed that all I can graduate with is an ordinary degree in history, so no honours or classification. I really want to be a teacher or a lawyer and hoped to go onto further study. Is there anything I can do to turn this around? Can I top up my degree? Transfer to a new uni? What can I do career wise with an ordinary degree? Any help would be most appreciated. Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanisha_history)
    Hi there,

I have recently been informed that all I can graduate with is an ordinary degree in history, so no honours or classification. I really want to be a teacher or a lawyer and hoped to go onto further study. Is there anything I can do to turn this around? Can I top up my degree? Transfer to a new uni? What can I do career wise with an ordinary degree? Any help would be most appreciated. Thankyou
    I think anyone venturing advice would need to know more about your circumstances. What stopped you graduating with honours? What opportunities did/do you have for resitting modules? Could you retake your whole final year? Which uni is this?

ReputationRep:
    It's unkversity of gloucestershire and they said I reached my maximum fail so can't resit any modules, I'm going to meet careers on Friday and I didn't graduate with honours because I was suffering with depression quite badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanisha_history)
    It's unkversity of gloucestershire and they said I reached my maximum fail so can't resit any modules, I'm going to meet careers on Friday and I didn't graduate with honours because I was suffering with depression quite badly
    Are you saying that they awarded you an Ordinary degree? Or was it what is called an 'aegrotat' degree?

If you are contending that depression caused you to fail certain modules, has this been diagnosed officially? Was the university informed? If so, when? Did they properly apply their own procedures laid down in the regulations? See http://insight.glos.ac.uk/department...al%2014-15.pdf

One option is to ask your SU for help. They will have experience of challenging university decisions such as this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You could transfer your credits to the Open University and finish your honours degree there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.