Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertinegirl96)
    Well let's hope that we're not, and that you end up at Oxford haha!

Let us know how it goes!
    Haha, I don't know, I'm excited to study at any of my choices (although obviously Oxford is just- wow. It feels like more of a fantasy than something that will become a reality though).

But I'll definitely keep posting, that goes for everyone else as well!

Oh, I just received a conditional offer from Royal Holloway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca_Kathleen)
    Haha, I don't know, I'm excited to study at any of my choices (although obviously Oxford is just- wow. It feels like more of a fantasy than something that will become a reality though).

Well, my friend has just started at Oxford for Chemistry and only really applied half-heartedly... and she got in!

Congratulations! I love Royal Holloway, it's beautiful and has such a lovely atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca_Kathleen)

Good luck with your application I was wondering what you were deciding about balance of the questions in the exam? My school doesn't have any experience of philosophy and theology at oxford so the test has left us a bit stuck! I know that half the time is on each question, but in question 1 the sub questions seem to differ in that one is more descriptive and the other evaluative. Do you spend more time on the evaluative or equal on both? And also, what college are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi12)
    Good luck with your application I was wondering what you were deciding about balance of the questions in the exam? My school doesn't have any experience of philosophy and theology at oxford so the test has left us a bit stuck! I know that half the time is on each question, but in question 1 the sub questions seem to differ in that one is more descriptive and the other evaluative. Do you spend more time on the evaluative or equal on both? And also, what college are you applying for?
    The Oxford entrance exam is only a Philosophy exam, there's no theology in it. The first question is a comprehension task, it's less about being "descriptive" and more about showing that you can understand a text given.

The second question is an essay question so you just write for your life! XD Personally, I'll probably spend more time on question 2, having already completed a full A Level in English Language I find comprehension relatively easy.

I'm fairly certain 2014 is the first run for the philosophy test, so there won't be many schools who are able to fully prep their students. The way me and my teacher have decided to go about it is to do the three essay questions from the example paper in turn. Today we went through a plan for it, had a really good discussion and then I'm going to write it over the week with as much access to notes/the internet I like. The next one I'm going to spend less time on with no notes and then practice the final question in time restraints. I'd aim for about half an hour for each question.

But yeah, my philosophy teacher has no idea because there's no detail on what they're actually looking for in the essay. Just write something that reflects you, don't worry too much about the examiners

I've put down Lady Margret Hall. It was less about finding one college that I fell in love with and more about there being a couple that I don't want to go to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertinegirl96)
    Well, my friend has just started at Oxford for Chemistry and only really applied half-heartedly... and she got in!

Congratulations! I love Royal Holloway, it's beautiful and has such a lovely atmosphere.

Wow, that's amazing, well done her! I'm trying my hardest with my application, but I'm not going to be absolutely crushed if I don't get accepted

Thank you! RH is so beautiful. I fell in love with it for its aesthetic appeal and then realised that the course is awesome as well XD

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a post A level applicant, originally got an offer for psychology at warwick but realising I hate the course and uni since moving in, so I'm going to reapply this year for philosophy. I got A*AB (A* In philosophy ) but I'm not sure if it's too risky for me to apply to unis that require AAA? Bristol asks for AAA and Exeter for AAA-AAB, which are my top two choices at the moment; I'll retake my maths exams (the B) if I have to, but I don't want to do it if I don't have to. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys only just seen this thread!

I'm a Philosophy applicant for 2015 entry!

Applying to Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Warwick - only got an offer from Warwick thus far!

My particular interests at the moment are; theories of property, libertarianism, scepticism, logical positivism and, although I'm embarrassed to admit it, I'm really enjoying investigating Objectivism at the moment.

(Original post by Pejic)
    Hi, I'm a post A level applicant, originally got an offer for psychology at warwick but realising I hate the course and uni since moving in, so I'm going to reapply this year for philosophy. I got A*AB (A* In philosophy ) but I'm not sure if it's too risky for me to apply to unis that require AAA? Bristol asks for AAA and Exeter for AAA-AAB, which are my top two choices at the moment; I'll retake my maths exams (the B) if I have to, but I don't want to do it if I don't have to. Thanks!
    I'm applying below the entry requirements for Bristol too! My A-Level predictions are A*A*A* but I'm below their grade B maths threshold at GCSE (and they said in an email I'd have no chance! ) - not too fussed though if I don't get a Bristol offer. Good luck!

Hi!
    I am applying for Philosophy and Theology at Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham, Nottingham and Exeter.
    I have 4A* and 6A's at GCSE
    I have AABB in AS Level Maths, Theology, Economics and Physics. My school do not declare your grades until the end of A-Levels, so I am retaking my Econ module.
    Predicted AAA or A*AA with the A* being in either Economics or Theology.
    I am a bit worried, Bristol's average UCAS Points for admissions to Phil and Theo is 480, same with Durham. I am dyslexic and terrible at exams, I am not sure that I can compete with people who are apply predicted A*A*A*!
    Is anyone else applying? There are so few places it is freaking me out...

ReputationRep:
    What offers are people getting?

ReputationRep:
    So far I've got an unconditional from Birmingham, an AAB from Nottingham, an AAB from Southampton and an offer from Sussex. I don't know what the Sussex offer is yet though because they emailed and said they can't send it through UCAS yet :/ just waiting on King's but they're notoriously slow to reply. Have you got any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cameron.clark95)
    So far I've got an unconditional from Birmingham, an AAB from Nottingham, an AAB from Southampton and an offer from Sussex. I don't know what the Sussex offer is yet though because they emailed and said they can't send it through UCAS yet :/ just waiting on King's but they're notoriously slow to reply. Have you got any?
    I got an AAB from Warwick, an AAA from Bristol and an unconditional (but only if I firm - if not then AAB) from Nottingham Well done having 4 already! What's your first choice? I'm waiting on Durham and Oxford which I wont hear anything for till January I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi12)
    I got an AAB from Warwick, an AAA from Bristol and an unconditional (but only if I firm - if not then AAB) from Nottingham Well done having 4 already! What's your first choice? I'm waiting on Durham and Oxford which I wont hear anything for till January I think
    Well my first choice probably would've been Nottingham just because I love the campus so much, but the unconditional from Birmingham has really made me think so I'm going to go look at the uni. What's your first choice? And good luck for Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cameron.clark95)
    Well my first choice probably would've been Nottingham just because I love the campus so much, but the unconditional from Birmingham has really made me think so I'm going to go look at the uni. What's your first choice? And good luck for Oxford!
    Oxford on the off chance that I get it, but if not then either Durham or Warwick Yeah the unconditional makes it really tempting, right? Like I hadn't really thought much about Nottingham, just had it as I wanted to put in a 5th option, but suddenly it's so tempting!

ReputationRep:
    I've finally found the philosophy thread!

I'm applying to
    Oxford: Philosophy & Theology
    King's College London: Philosophy, Politics & Law
    UCL: Philosophy
    York: Philosophy (got an offer AAB)
    Exeter: Philosophy & Theology (got an offer AAB)

Kind of scared of applying Oxford with such weak GCSE's but I figured I'd give it a shot. 2A*s 4As 2Bs 1C AS: AAAB
    WHY IS THERE ONLY ONE SPECIMEN PAPER?!? *heart palpitations* How are people practicing and feeling? I applied to Regent's Park College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pirateangel)
    I've finally found the philosophy thread!

I'm applying to
    Oxford: Philosophy & Theology
    King's College London: Philosophy, Politics & Law
    UCL: Philosophy
    York: Philosophy (got an offer AAB)
    Exeter: Philosophy & Theology (got an offer AAB)

Kind of scared of applying Oxford with such weak GCSE's but I figured I'd give it a shot. 2A*s 4As 2Bs 1C AS: AAAB
    WHY IS THERE ONLY ONE SPECIMEN PAPER?!? *heart palpitations* How are people practicing and feeling? I applied to Regent's Park College
    I'm applying to Regents too!!! Fell in love with the place.
    Don't worry, I have weak GCSEs also 10As 1B and for AS I got AAAA

To revise... doing nothing really... because I don't know how to!!

Just going to 'rely' on my ability. If it works, yay, if not, then oh well, off to Exeter I go!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    I'm applying to Regents too!!! Fell in love with the place.
    Don't worry, I have weak GCSEs also 10As 1B and for AS I got AAAA

To revise... doing nothing really... because I don't know how to!!

Just going to 'rely' on my ability. If it works, yay, if not, then oh well, off to Exeter I go!!
    Your GCSE's are so good, so just be quiet please, and they like upward trajectories (do I need to remind you that you got AAAA) so stop shooting yourself down. I think I've applied just to say I've tried really, as well as to see what cool abstract question I can ramble at in Part B. York was beautiful as well as Exeter. There is more to life than Oxford, but it would be amazing to get in . Keep your chin up and give it your best shot :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pirateangel)
    Your GCSE's are so good, so just be quiet please, and they like upward trajectories (do I need to remind you that you got AAAA) so stop shooting yourself down. I think I've applied just to say I've tried really, as well as to see what cool abstract question I can ramble at in Part B. York was beautiful as well as Exeter. There is more to life than Oxford, but it would be amazing to get in . Keep your chin up and give it your best shot :P
    Speaking of upward trajectories... 2A*s 4As 2Bs 1C to AAAB? Don't tell me that's not a clear sign of improvement! Who knows though, we may meet in Oxford, or Exeter!!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Nottingham, Bristol, Kings (all philosophy) UCL (History and Philosophy of science) and Birmingham (Political Science and Philosophy). I got ABB at AS level (A in psychology, B's in History and RS) with a D in Economics :mad: (but I've now taken up AS critical thinking to get my UCAS points up)... Really not sure what my chances are of getting offers but I am hoping for 2, but I've been predicted ABB (even though I got 90% ov. in psych and 3 ums off an A in RS) because my school are cruel

Oh and I got 2 A*s 2 As and 7 Bs for my GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got offers from the London universities yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm another phil applicant!
    I got 7A* and 3A's at GCSE
    Then I went a bit downhill to ABBB at AS
    But I'm predicted A*AB or A*AA so fingers crossed
    I'm applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham and Nottingham
    Not sent off my personal statement yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.