Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oharasmo)
    Just got offers from UCL (History and Philosohy of science) and Nottingham reduced offer for Philosophy (ABC conditional for AAB course). Couldn't be happier 😀
    Congratulations! What sort of stuff in philosophy of science did you talk about in your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    Straight Philosophy at KCL, UCL, Heythrop and Birkbeck. Philosophy, logic and the scientific method at LSE.

I'm predicted A*A*A for RS, History and Geography and I already have an A-level in English Literature (Grade A)

KCL gave me an offer for AAA and Birkbeck for 300 UCAS points. Heythrop is sadly not taking any undergrads this year

UCL and LSE left (If UCL give me an offer it will be tough to decide whether to firm it or go for KCL instead, both look really good!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion103)
    Straight Philosophy at KCL, UCL, Heythrop and Birkbeck. Philosophy, logic and the scientific method at LSE.

I'm predicted A*A*A for RS, History and Geography and I already have an A-level in English Literature (Grade A)

KCL gave me an offer for AAA and Birkbeck for 300 UCAS points. Heythrop is sadly not taking any undergrads this year

UCL and LSE left (If UCL give me an offer it will be tough to decide whether to firm it or go for KCL instead, both look really good!)
    What about LSE, would you take UCL/KCL over it? Also, how soon did KCL give you an offer after you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    What about LSE, would you take UCL/KCL over it? Also, how soon did KCL give you an offer after you applied?
    I applied on the 15th of October and Kings gave me an offer on the 25th of November.

I'd much rather go to KCL/UCL than LSE for Philosophy as the Philosophy in LSE is weird not least because it largely focuses on analytic philosophy. There are modules such as the LSE100 that have nothing to do with Philosophy that you HAVE to take, and the social life is much better at KCL/UCL (From what I've heard)

ReputationRep:
    I applied on the 15th of October and Kings gave me an offer on the 25th of November.

I'd much rather go to KCL/UCL than LSE for Philosophy as the Philosophy in LSE is weird not least because it largely focuses on analytic philosophy. There are modules such as the LSE100 that have nothing to do with Philosophy that you HAVE to take, and the social life is much better at KCL/UCL (From what I've heard)
    So they took some time, alright. And yeah, I see your point regarding LSE! Between KCL and UCL, what advantages/disadvantages do you see in each? Personally what I like about UCL is that is has continental philosophy modules such as existentialism and philosophy&literature. King's, on the other hand, has excellent exchange opportunities.

Oh, and one more question - did KCL give you an AA offer or AAA?

ReputationRep:
    Who attended this weeks Lecture at the Royal institute of Philosophy (in UCL) on Nietzsche? They're starting them again after Christmas - Its free for all with no booking, but seats do fill up quickly :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    So they took some time, alright. And yeah, I see your point regarding LSE! Between KCL and UCL, what advantages/disadvantages do you see in each? Personally what I like about UCL is that is has continental philosophy modules such as existentialism and philosophy&literature. King's, on the other hand, has excellent exchange opportunities.

Oh, and one more question - did KCL give you an AA offer or AAA?
    That's precisely why I'm leaning towards KCL, UCL is a little too continental and it doesn't do advanced logic in year 3, something that I'm really keen on doing for three years, which KCL does.

KCL gave me an offer provided that I obtain three As after August. Since I already have one then I guess the offer is for two As this year

ReputationRep:
    That's precisely why I'm leaning towards KCL, UCL is a little too continental and it doesn't do advanced logic in year 3, something that I'm really keen on doing for three years, which KCL does.

KCL gave me an offer provided that I obtain three As after August. Since I already have one then I guess the offer is for two As this year
    In that case KCL is perfect for you since they have so many logic and philosophy of language modules. Only 2 As - sweet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    Congratulations! What sort of stuff in philosophy of science did you talk about in your personal statement?
    Thank you! I spoke about my interest in ethics revolving around pre-determination and linked that into genetics + scientific method. In addition to that, I spoke about the evaluation of science and how it is perceived as 'fact' within it's time-period but this of course changes as time moves forward, so science should be evaluated from a philosophical perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from UCL and Leeds for Philosophy and Economics. A*AA from UCL. AAB from Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oharasmo)
    Thank you! I spoke about my interest in ethics revolving around pre-determination and linked that into genetics + scientific method. In addition to that, I spoke about the evaluation of science and how it is perceived as 'fact' within it's time-period but this of course changes as time moves forward, so science should be evaluated from a philosophical perspective.
    Nice! I, too, briefly mentioned Kuhn in my PS

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I hadn't seen this thread!

I'm applying for Philosophy at Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Warwick. A*A*A* predictions, had offers from the last two - Durham and Edinburgh are taking an age!

(Original post by benq)
    Nice! I, too, briefly mentioned Kuhn in my PS
    Hey guys - I did too! Feels a bit disingenuous - I've never actually read any of his work - but it just seemed relevant because I was speaking about conceptual schema. Kind of crapping my pants if my interviewers ask about the Political Philosophy part of my statement, I've self-taught that so I'm not as confident as I could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)

I'm applying for Philosophy at Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Warwick. A*A*A* predictions, had offers from the last two - Durham and Edinburgh are taking an age!

Hey guys - I did too! Feels a bit disingenuous - I've never actually read any of his work - but it just seemed relevant because I was speaking about conceptual schema. Kind of crapping my pants if my interviewers ask about the Political Philosophy part of my statement, I've self-taught that so I'm not as confident as I could be.
    Hi and welcome! How is the thing going with Cambridge so far? What is your second choice? I got an offer from Warwick myself, for a joint degree with literature though.

Lol! Let's hope the admission tutors don't hang out on TSR so that they don't find out about your little Kuhn secret! Political philosophy seems to be a big thing at Cambridge, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do! Therefore - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Just thought I would say that I graduated from Nottingham this year in Philosophy and it was amazing

Go there... its challenging but also there are so many amazing lecturers and the university is fantastic

Changing paths a bit now and am going to study graduate medicine (yes they love the analytical side) but out of my friends they have gone on t do lots of different things ranging from 50k analyst job to business masters to law to advertising

You are very highly sought after if you do well and nottingham is best uni career wise

just a little food for thought...

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Just thought I would say that I graduated from Nottingham this year in Philosophy and it was amazing

Go there... its challenging but also there are so many amazing lecturers and the university is fantastic

Changing paths a bit now and am going to study graduate medicine (yes they love the analytical side) but out of my friends they have gone on t do lots of different things ranging from 50k analyst job to business masters to law to advertising

You are very highly sought after if you do well and nottingham is best uni career wise

just a little food for thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)

We applied to three of the same - Durham, Warwick and Bristol when's your Cambridge interview? I'm going up to Oxford for mine this afternoon and I'm terrified!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    Hi and welcome! How is the thing going with Cambridge so far? What is your second choice? I got an offer from Warwick myself, for a joint degree with literature though.

Lol! Let's hope the admission tutors don't hang out on TSR so that they don't find out about your little Kuhn secret! Political philosophy seems to be a big thing at Cambridge, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do! Therefore - good luck!
    Alright I think! My application is quite strong as far as UMS goes, so I'm feeling sort of confident, however part of me feels like I have absolutely no chance at all, so we shall have to see. My second choice is Durham, if I get an offer! Other than that I'd be unsure between Edinburgh and Bristol.

Haha yes I can hope thank-you! I hope you are offered places from the rest of your choices dude.

(Original post by Naomi12)
    We applied to three of the same - Durham, Warwick and Bristol when's your Cambridge interview? I'm going up to Oxford for mine this afternoon and I'm terrified!
    It's on the 10th, so this wednesday! :eek: I know this is a bit belated, but good luck/I hope it went well. I'm sure you will be fine Have you heard from Durham yet?

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer to study Philosophy at ABB at the Royal Holloway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenEmblem277)
    I got an offer to study Philosophy at ABB at the Royal Holloway!
    Congratulations! How long did Royal Holloway take to make you the offer? They said they would take up to 4 weeks for me, and so far it's only been 16 days but the majority of people I've seen that have applied to RH have already received offers!
    I got my first offer today, from UEA, so at least somewhere wants me... I know that Durham will probably take a while, and York too, but Sheffield seems to have given out a lot of offers for Philosophy... I'm getting worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertinegirl96)
    Congratulations! How long did Royal Holloway take to make you the offer? They said they would take up to 4 weeks for me, and so far it's only been 16 days but the majority of people I've seen that have applied to RH have already received offers!
    I got my first offer today, from UEA, so at least somewhere wants me... I know that Durham will probably take a while, and York too, but Sheffield seems to have given out a lot of offers for Philosophy... I'm getting worried!
    I put mine in about 11 days ago? And thank you!
    I also got an offer from Cardiff to study Philosophy!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2015

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.