Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi12)
    Personally I loved NCH, and if I hadn't got my Oxford offer would have been likely to go. But you're right that it's a risk, although you would get a city of London degree just like you would at UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At NCH you get a Birkbeck international degree, which is still good but not really equivalent to a UCL degree.

This isn't that important I realise . I might end up going to the NCH after all, seems like a good opportunity esp. after a full remission of fees!

ReputationRep:
    Right decision time - anyone got any opinions on single honours philosophy - Sheffield, KCL or Glasgow? Can't decide - there are pros and cons to all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hertyme)
    Right decision time - anyone got any opinions on single honours philosophy - Sheffield, KCL or Glasgow? Can't decide - there are pros and cons to all.
    I didn't look at kcl or Glasgow but really liked Sheffield can't see many cons for it tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    KCL has a world renowned Philosophy Department from where people go on to do PhDs at Ivy League schools. Other two don't. That factor alone would be enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreshGarbage)
    I didn't look at kcl or Glasgow but really liked Sheffield can't see many cons for it tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I attended an offer holders' event at KCL in Feb and was very impressed. The lecturers were almost ridiculously knowledgeable, as well as being interesting and engaging. KCL is my firm choice, and it was an easy decision for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloopster)
    I attended an offer holders' event at KCL in Feb and was very impressed. The lecturers were almost ridiculously knowledgeable, as well as being interesting and engaging. KCL is my firm choice, and it was an easy decision for me
    Thanks - I'm hoping to attend offers day later this month for KCL and Sheffield. What are your thoughts on modules at Kings? That's my main issue - Sheffield and Glsgow modules seem broader with a better choice for doing "other" things whilst Kings seems very, very focused.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I'm hoping to attend offers day later this month for KCL and Sheffield. What are your thoughts on modules at Kings? That's my main issue - Sheffield and Glsgow modules seem broader with a better choice for doing "other" things whilst Kings seems very, very focused.
    KCL focus is very much on analytical philosophy. The 8 first year modules are all compulsory, and are pretty much what I expected. Epistemology, metaphysics, ethics, logic, etc.
    My main areas of interest are metaphysics, political philosophy and ethics. For me the degree programme is absolutely fine.
    I imagine that it's all to do with personal preference at this point - I can't fault KCL so far, though.
    Attending the post offer open days is the best thing for you to do - you'll just have to get a feel for the place, I think. :-)

ReputationRep:
    There has been some philosophical debate as regard to how to categorise or rank respective philosophy departments. Needless to say, the same subset re-occur on most filtered rankings at the top echelons of research intensive departments.

Wolff and Weatherson had some ideas...

http://robert-williams.org/2008/12/1...e-gourmet-etc/

ReputationRep:
    What did everybody on here firm and how are you feeling about meeting your offers guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    What did everybody on here firm and how are you feeling about meeting your offers guys?
    Firmed oxford and insured warwick, I'm sure I got 2 of the A's that I need but not sure about the last one.. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi12)
    Firmed oxford and insured warwick, I'm sure I got 2 of the A's that I need but not sure about the last one.. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which course at Oxford? I firmed LSE and also insured Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    I firmed York and insured Royal Holloway, although my York offer is AAB and my Holloway offer is ABB which I'm sure York would drop to anyway.

How does everyone think they did in the exams? I'm fairly confident that I haven't met my grades. Both my English Literature and my French were awful exams :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beidniz;[url="tel:53704711")
    53704711[/url]]I'm currently living in Central America on my gap year, and have a deferred entry offer from Sheffield University to study Philosophy & Hispanic Studies starting September.

I originally applied to Newcastle, Nottingham, Birmingham and Keele University to study straight Philosophy. However, after living abroad for a few months, it became clear that I wanted to further my knowledge of Spanish after my gap year. So, I dropped the Sheffield Hispanic Studies department an email and they were happy to take me on.

I was predicted AAB in Philosophy, Photography and English Literature and recieved conditional offers from all the universities in which I applied.
    For AS, I achieved BBC in English Literature, Photography and Philosophy respectively.

I required ABB in English Literature, Philosophy and Photography... I misjudged an essay question on the topic of Metaphysics, but that is now history.

Any Sheffield firmers, hit me up! And if anyone has any questions about the general application process, please do not hesitate to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiya, I'm just wondering if you're still doing this course? You're the only other person I've found who is doing PhilHis at sheffield

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.