Turn on thread page Beta

Should parents help you out with finances while studying? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a second year student, currently living with my mum. I am wondering if it is compulsory for my dad to help me out financially whilst I am studying? As currently he does not.

All answers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's not legally compulsory for anybody to help you out financially after the age of 18 - why would it be? You're an adult.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Unless they forced you to go uni then yeah else find a job.

ReputationRep:
    Its not compulsory, but maybe you could try speaking to him and asking for some help?

ReputationRep:
    If they care about their children, it wouldn't hurt for parents to offer some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    If they care about their children, it wouldn't hurt for parents to offer some help.
    Rubbish. A parent can care about their adult children perfectly fine without needing to provide financial support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Rubbish. A parent can care about their adult children perfectly fine without needing to provide financial support.
    that's 'not caring', unless they can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    that's 'not caring', unless they can't afford it.
    It's caring about, not caring for.

Personally I see situations where the parents financially support their adult child entirely as being somewhat cruel. They havn't prepared their children for adult life at all.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you stop being a kid doesn't mean you're not their kid.

ReputationRep:
    If his income isn't taken into account when assessing your student finance, then in this situation I'd say no.
    Whether or not you think parents who are assumed by the government to help should do so is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on their finances I suppose. If they're low earners and you're receiving a grant then I'd say fair enough, but if they earn too much for you to receive a grant then I'd say they probably should provide at least some financial support, otherwise its unfair on their child that they don't receive any extra financial support just because their parents earn too much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2014
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.