Do you need 4G? What do you use 4G for? Watch

New Slaves
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, so leave aside any discussions about geographical factors and availability.

What I'm wondering is, is if 4G is actually necessary or useful in any way, apart from just 'sped up browsing'.

On my phone, I occasionally download some songs, and more often use snapchat/whatsapp. I browse a fair amount whilst on a data connection too. I can't see 4G having much of a benefit for just these purposes?

One thing I can think of is streaming from iPlayer/Youtube/Skysports Mobile etc, but is there anything else where it's actually much of a necessary upgrade over 3G/3G+?

What do you use 4G for?
Pickles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by New Slaves)
Okay, so leave aside any discussions about geographical factors and availability.

What I'm wondering is, is if 4G is actually necessary or useful in any way, apart from just 'sped up browsing'.

On my phone, I occasionally download some songs, and more often use snapchat/whatsapp. I browse a fair amount whilst on a data connection too. I can't see 4G having much of a benefit for just these purposes?

One thing I can think of is streaming from iPlayer/Youtube/Skysports Mobile etc, but is there anything else where it's actually much of a necessary upgrade over 3G/3G+?

What do you use 4G for?
Personally 4G is unbelievable, but you have to live/work in a 4G area. Luckily I do. Browsing is so much quicker, even apps (on IPhone).

The only thing about 4G that is a huge pain is that it drains data VERY quickly. I can get through 1GB in about 2 weeks, just casually browsing the net, so yeah. But it obviously depends how much you use your phone I guess?
New Slaves
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Jeanlucpicard)
Personally 4G is unbelievable, but you have to live/work in a 4G area. Luckily I do. Browsing is so much quicker, even apps (on IPhone).

The only thing about 4G that is a huge pain is that it drains data VERY quickly. I can get through 1GB in about 2 weeks, just casually browsing the net, so yeah. But it obviously depends how much you use your phone I guess?
So for you, just the speed of browsing is the main thing?

And yeah for me personally that's a bit of the drawback of 4G, that I'd have to get a 2GB internet allowance if I wanted to use it properly, but that's minor if it's really good.

Right now though, I'm looking at phones in the £100-175 price range and I just don't quite see the need for 4G personally, so I thought I'd just make a thread and see if the possibilities with 4G are worth splashing out a lot more.
bibliboo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by New Slaves)
So for you, just the speed of browsing is the main thing?

And yeah for me personally that's a bit of the drawback of 4G, that I'd have to get a 2GB internet allowance if I wanted to use it properly, but that's minor if it's really good.

Right now though, I'm looking at phones in the £100-175 price range and I just don't quite see the need for 4G personally, so I thought I'd just make a thread and see if the possibilities with 4G are worth splashing out a lot more.
You get 4g at no extra cost with three network, just make sure three has 4g coverage in your area first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd rather just have decent coverage, 3G theoretically supports upto 42mbps, I can pull 15mbps on my 3G which is nearly double the speed of a lot of peoples home broadband and easily enough for HD, it's just rare I actually ever have decent coverage, normally have to have my phone set to 2G just to get a decent signal, no point getting faster if you can't actually get a signal.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bibliboo)
You get 4g at no extra cost with three network, just make sure three has 4g coverage in your area first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd recommend doing this too, considering the 4G coverage is pretty patchy on all networks at the moment there's no point buying a dedicated more expensive plan for when you occasionally get to make full use it. Three has it included in all their plans which is a good start.
princechromey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I can't seem to get my S4 to connect to Three's 4G, how do you do it? (I tried this in Leicester which is a 4G area)
bibliboo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by princechromey)
Well I can't seem to get my S4 to connect to Three's 4G, how do you do it? (I tried this in Leicester which is a 4G area)
It just happens automatically, I didn't need to do anything. I now have 4g in my area but it only works in certain spots in my house. Try asking either at your local three shop or the customer services.
princechromey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It just happens automatically, I didn't need to do anything. I now have 4g in my area but it only works in certain spots in my house. Try asking either at your local three shop or the customer services.
I asked at one of my local 3 stores (Highcross, Leicester) and they said at first it was my phone not supporting 4G... then they said it was an issue with my phone and that I should contact Samsung! :mad:

I think that, actually, a software update would do it... but I'm not touching Kitkat with a barge pole... so I'm not going to risk it.

I might try another Three store in Leicester; otherwise I'll email them - if nothing works then I'll just use the 4636 menu (4G will still work; it just doesn't officially show up under settings)
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by princechromey)
I asked at one of my local 3 stores (Highcross, Leicester) and they said at first it was my phone not supporting 4G... then they said it was an issue with my phone and that I should contact Samsung! :mad:

I think that, actually, a software update would do it... but I'm not touching Kitkat with a barge pole... so I'm not going to risk it.

I might try another Three store in Leicester; otherwise I'll email them - if nothing works then I'll just use the 4636 menu (4G will still work; it just doesn't officially show up under settings)
It could be that you don't have the latest carrier settings, so you'll need to do that software update to access the 4G network.
princechromey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
It could be that you don't have the latest carrier settings, so you'll need to do that software update to access the 4G network.
Or you could just install an app that gives you a shortcut to the 4636 "Phone Testing" menu. From the aforementioned testing menu, I can then go to device information and find an LTE mode.

I find it strange that the LTE mode appears under the normal settings on Virgin, but not on Three (the LTE mode appears under the 4636 menu in all networks).

So unless it's to do with the SIM card, looks like I'll be staying with Three, but using the 4636 menu to access LTE as I am NOT even touching Android Kitkat.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's the one thing that would make me consider upgrading my iphone 4S. I sometimes use my personal hotspot for work, and 3G can be infuriatingly slow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (20)
22.99%
Unconditional if firmed (4)
4.6%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (1)
1.15%
No unconditional offers (62)
71.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed