Turn on thread page Beta

Will Labour ever do anything about immigration and long term benefit claimants? watch

ReputationRep:
    The only problem I have with voting Labour are the these two things.

We can't obviously do anything about EU immigration but surely we can do something with non-EU.
    And being someone who's looking likely to be in a low paid job, why don't I just laze around and just claim benefits?

But by the looks of the conference it seems the public service promises they are making are excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Promises to public services are amusing given that they have to be cut so much to fix the economy.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they'll do something about unskilled immigrants and people who willingly live off the state due to laziness.

They'll continue to support them financially in exchange for votes. They used to fund this by borrowing, now they'll fund it by taking money off any demographics deemed irreversibly Tory (enter mansion tax).

ReputationRep:
    No, they will never do anything about mass immigration and the destruction of (mostly) England, not because they especially love foreigners but because they hate their own country.

Yet people continue to vote for these disgusting traitors... wasn't Einstein's definition of madness to continue to do the same thing and expect a different outcome?

ReputationRep:
    It'll be fine.

Labour ended Boom & Bust, remember?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

They'll give them more.

ReputationRep:
    Who are these long term benefits claimants? What percentage of the welfare bill do they receive? We need some stats in this debate?

and why do we need to do anything about immigration? immigration is a good thing. immigrants prop up the system and pay the taxes that fund our pensions, without them we'd all be ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcd1230)

We can't obviously do anything about EU immigration but surely we can do something with non-EU.
    And being someone who's looking likely to be in a low paid job, why don't I just laze around and just claim benefits?

But by the looks of the conference it seems the public service promises they are making are excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go on then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Who are these long term benefits claimants? What percentage of the welfare bill do they receive? We need some stats in this debate?

and why do we need to do anything about immigration? immigration is a good thing. immigrants prop up the system and pay the taxes that fund our pensions, without them we'd all be ****ed.
    No high skilled immigrants do- Eastern Europeans are not high-skilled!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    No high skilled immigrants do- Eastern Europeans are not high-skilled!

a) yes they are, and
    b) they still work hard and pay tax anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    a) yes they are, and
    b) they still work hard and pay tax anyway
    a) High skilled in what?
    b) Low-skilled people pay minimum wage, £800 a year in tax...... contributing sod-all to the public services investment they cause.

ReputationRep:
    I love threads like this.

The answer is pretty much obvious.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The amount of money which is paid to Job Seekers is small.

The majority of single parents do not laze about all day. They are either at college/university while their children are at school or they have part time jobs working 16 hours a week & claiming tax credits.

The majority of long term out of work people are disabled.

So you should of rephrased your question on the welfare. Have a bit of courage. Grow some backbone. And say what you meant. But I'll give you a clear answer to your question.

Question.
    Will Labour do anything about long term out of work disabled people?

Answer.
    The answer is no they won't. They will continue to be a party which acknowledges the needs of disabled people and treats them like human beings.

............... Next

Question
    Will Labour cut immigration?

Answer.
    Our ports have some of the best equipment to stop immigration and a lot of it was installed when Labour was in Government. The majority of immigration has came though the EU but leaving the EU has a big price and that is not being part of the EU court of human rights.

Labour are a workers party. They will not abandon the EU court of human rights
    because the protection it gives to workers stops Tories from making draconian policies which effect the most vulnerable in society.

................. EU REFORM NOT UK INDEPENDENCE.

Lets be clear. The EU enables corporations to pitch workers against workers. This is the fundamental flaw in the EU which degrades the poor and enables the rich.

This is why we need reform. I'd encourage people to join Labour and talk about how corporations have the upper hand in this flaw and how we need to protect workers because the Labour party is suppose to be about protecting workers instead of corporations.

We need a end to New Labour. We want Old Labour back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    The amount of money which is paid to Job Seekers is small.

The majority of single parents do not laze about all day. They are either at college/university while their children are at school or they have part time jobs working 16 hours a week & claiming tax credits.

The majority of long term out of work people are disabled.

So you should of rephrased your question on the welfare. Have a bit of courage. Grow some backbone. And say what you meant. But I'll give you a clear answer to your question.

Question.
    Will Labour do anything about long term out of work disabled people?

Answer.
    The answer is no they won't. They will continue to be a party which acknowledges the needs of disabled people and treats them like human beings.

............... Next

Question
    Will Labour cut immigration?

Answer.
    Our ports have some of the best equipment to stop immigration and a lot of it was installed when Labour was in Government. The majority of immigration has came though the EU but leaving the EU has a big price and that is not being part of the EU court of human rights.

Labour are a workers party. They will not abandon the EU court of human rights
    because the protection it gives to workers stops Tories from making draconian policies which effect the most vulnerable in society.

................. EU REFORM NOT UK INDEPENDENCE.

Lets be clear. The EU enables corporations to pitch workers against workers. This is the fundamental flaw in the EU which degrades the poor and enables the rich.

This is why we need reform. I'd encourage people to join Labour and talk about how corporations have the upper hand in this flaw and how we need to protect workers because the Labour party is suppose to be about protecting workers instead of corporations.

We need a end to New Labour. We want Old Labour back!
    Yeah mate, you might want to change your attitude especially since I'm actually a Labour supporter. Wouldn't vote for anyone else. Though outside of London, the majority may be EU. I can tell you in London, it most definitely isn't. The number of people who overstay their student visas are absurd. Why not have an Australian system?

When did I say anything about out of work disabled people? They can't even claim JSA since they won't be actively looking for work. Don't expect them to work at all and so they shouldn't.
    And how do you know these out of work parents are at uni/college?
    Most of my relatives are actually living off the state and have been for years. They don't study or do anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most of my relatives are actually living off the state and have been for years. They don't study or do anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good on them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    Good on them
    Can't do ****. I'm already hated by most members of my family. Wouldn't want to alienate the rest of them. I could probably name a lot of other things as well e.g. illegal immigrants, under the table work and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if you take a low paid job you might be able to get tax credits. So why would you prefer to "laze around and just claim benefits"? Are you aware that people who claim benefits are also students and workers who don't laze around? I guess not.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1) Mass immigration is the result of global economic inequality which is perpetuated by the current economic model championed by incompetent leaders. If you want to stop mass immigration, you must solve the issue of economic inequality.

2) You don't ask why the difference between benefits and 'low wage work' is so insignificant. The fundamental cost of living is high. Housing as a proportion of your net income is more than half your earnings. If the government caps rent and reinforces regulations, living costs will drop by around a quarter, minimum. This will have three affects. One, the amount of housing benefits paid out will be less. Two, the amount of disposable income you have will be more. This will mean the previously low wage you earned is now a moderate wage that enables you to live an enjoyable life as well as clearly showing the gap between claiming benefits and working. Three, it will act as an incentive to benefit claimants since you can earn at least a quarter more per month if you work.

The above disregards the issue of generational disillusionment which is a more difficult issue to resolve.

3) Don't be fooled by the Tories. They want to cut taxes and maintain spending. Where will they get the difference from? Why do the like to appease the people by giving them insignificant policies which are overrated. Tax revenues are going down and will go down further if they do what they say they will do. lol I won't be surprised if VAT goes up to 22.5%.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.