Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

List of "tacky" tech such as Apple, Dr.Dre etc watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Very handy when you have a seat on the tube and a 40 minute commute. Great for watching things in bed. So much more portable and useable in so many situations than a laptop. Tablets are not tacky tech.
    Personally, I would disagree when most of the time the phone is about as practical and likely already in the mix and is more portable still, it actually fits in your pocket. It's not totally impractical on the tube (and I would rather be one of those ********s with a paper anyway, personally) and when in bed I should think most people will have their phone close while charging overnight, a talet largely fills the role that a smartphone held. Personally, I probably will get a tablet, but just a shield tablet which won't be used a great deal, mostly when home from uni for the weekend or visiting my girlfriend for the gamestream feature and beyond that a good bit of horsepower when running on its own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Personally, I would disagree when most of the time the phone is about as practical and likely already in the mix and is more portable still, it actually fits in your pocket. It's not totally impractical on the tube (and I would rather be one of those ********s with a paper anyway, personally) and when in bed I should think most people will have their phone close while charging overnight, a talet largely fills the role that a smartphone held. Personally, I probably will get a tablet, but just a shield tablet which won't be used a great deal, mostly when home from uni for the weekend or visiting my girlfriend for the gamestream feature and beyond that a good bit of horsepower when running on its own.
    Most people have bags they need to bring to work with papers in, a tablet fits nicely into that space. Size does not matter as they are limited to a certain size anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byakko)
    I know girls make fun of people who buy all designer clothes and pay the ridiculous premiums and call them tacky.

But it is lesser known with technology.

Could anyone add more to this list:

1) iPhones (2x price of other phones /w same features
    2) Dr.Dre Beats (3x the price of same quality headphones)
    3) Macs (2x price of pc with same specs)
    4) 4K TV's (no content supports 4k yet)
    5) Any "Gaming" branded peripheral
    6) Alienware PC's/Laptops
    7) ...
    I dissagree with some things on this list, For example, Apple, yes they're over priced. But they're some of the best designed and well made phones around. At the time of the iPhone 4, they were the only ones with a "Premium" design (The metal body with glass back" and it felt awesome! Other phone makers are only just ditching the plastic tacky crap on their phones....

Macs. Again, Amazingly built and great design. Go find me a windows All in one that is that thin, Made of complete aluminium and just amazingly crafted, You can't.

4K Tv's - Wrong! There are now 4K blu-ray palyers + a decent ish number of 4K movies. 4K upscalling AV recievers that actually work remarkably well, You can definitley tell the difference. Even Netflix and Youtube can stream certain content in 4K now....

I'll let you have the other 3, But I truly feel that you get what you pay for.... Feel free to correct me if you feel im wrong guys...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ryan-Slade)
    I dissagree with some things on this list, For example, Apple, yes they're over priced. But they're some of the best designed and well made phones around. At the time of the iPhone 4, they were the only ones with a "Premium" design (The metal body with glass back" and it felt awesome! Other phone makers are only just ditching the plastic tacky crap on their phones....

Macs. Again, Amazingly built and great design. Go find me a windows All in one that is that thin, Made of complete aluminium and just amazingly crafted, You can't.

4K Tv's - Wrong! There are now 4K blu-ray palyers + a decent ish number of 4K movies. 4K upscalling AV recievers that actually work remarkably well, You can definitley tell the difference. Even Netflix and Youtube can stream certain content in 4K now....

I'll let you have the other 3, But I truly feel that you get what you pay for.... Feel free to correct me if you feel im wrong guys...
    I think you're wrong
    Done.
    For the apple stuff there are/have been countless threads, no point in derailing this thread over that, for the 4k: Pixel densities (vs cost)

ReputationRep:
    No gaming peripheral is more suited than its higher quality counterpart. Unless you love useless gimicks like programmable keys, macros, a million extra keys, lightup effects, unnecessary amounts of DPI etc

Just throwing money away - and gaming mice have cheap build qualities for example and are almosy always riddled with problems such as clicks wearing off and registering a single click as multiple ones or none at all.
    I agree with Gofre....programmable keys isn't a gimmick, its extremely helpful for those who play seriously particularly in real time games like strategy or fps for a quick reload or complex games with multiple possible actions. Light up system is extremely helpful, I tend to use my computer in the dark at night, so having a backlight helps me out so much.

Again that's not always true, that is the biggest generalisation in the world, there are even more people out there who have never had a problem and are happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're wrong
    Done.
    For the apple stuff there are/have been countless threads, no point in derailing this thread over that, for the 4k: Pixel densities (vs cost)
    True, There will always be arguments over Apple products. But the post said "Tacky" the one thing you have to give them credit for doing pretty well is the construction, I'd say a plastic casing on a phone that's flimsy like the Samsung Galaxy SIII is tacky...

As for 4K, just because something is exspensive doesn't technically make it tacky.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    True, There will always be arguments over Apple products. But the post said "Tacky" the one thing you have to give them credit for doing pretty well is the construction, I'd say a plastic casing on a phone that's flimsy like the Samsung Galaxy SIII is tacky...

As for 4K, just because something is exspensive doesn't technically make it tacky.
    Last I checked the SIII doesn't permanently bend if you put it in your front pocket
    And if you extend tackey a bit further into "waste of money" then at this time it's very hard to argue 4k isn't tackey, in TVs at least.

ReputationRep:
    Last I checked the SIII doesn't permanently bend if you put it in your front pocket
    And if you extend tackey a bit further into "waste of money" then at this time it's very hard to argue 4k isn't tackey, in TVs at least.
    Conisdering 4K TV's are hitting the sub 1K price margin now, Which many 50" 3D ones still enter the high end of, They're remarkably becoming more and more Viable.

Ahhh yes, That little snippet of news kinda destroyed my entire point

ReputationRep:
    Conisdering 4K TV's are hitting the sub 1K price margin now, Which many 50" 3D ones still enter the high end of, They're remarkably becoming more and more Viable.

Most 4k TV's are IPS - find me a cheap VA 4k.

You'd be better off buying an OLED 1080p screen than 4k for that price (excluding the crappy IPS ones). Pixel density is only high if you hace the video or signal to make use of it. 4k is for the future, but right now we're no where near making use of it.

We'd need everyone on very fast broadband speeds - as well as TV companies completely revanlmping their cable to be fa st enough for 4k content - only some videos on YouTube is 4k and no one is seeing the benefit of having 4x the file size and 4x the upload duration for only a few people with 4k tv's. Some people still use 720p.

Consoles won't be able to handle 4k for at least 3 more generations IF that. They'd need a breakthrough cheap fast processor and gpu whilst still running cool.

There is no point in 4k, and there won't be any point till 30 years from now at least.

ReputationRep:
    Most 4k TV's are IPS - find me a cheap VA 4k.

You'd be better off buying an OLED 1080p screen than 4k for that price (excluding the crappy IPS ones). Pixel density is only high if you hace the video or signal to make use of it. 4k is for the future, but right now we're no where near making use of it.

We'd need everyone on very fast broadband speeds - as well as TV companies completely revanlmping their cable to be fa st enough for 4k content - only some videos on YouTube is 4k and no one is seeing the benefit of having 4x the file size and 4x the upload duration for only a few people with 4k tv's. Some people still use 720p.

Consoles won't be able to handle 4k for at least 3 more generations IF that. They'd need a breakthrough cheap fast processor and gpu whilst still running cool.

There is no point in 4k, and there won't be any point till 30 years from now at least.
    Valid point, Ish.... I agree, Decent 4k's are cheap, but neither are OLED's.... True, We're nowhere near making constructive common use of it, But for those people that have adopted 4K, there are things that can push those pixels, I know of 4K blu-ray players, 4K recievers that boost 1080P signals up to near 4K (Not quite I know) and there is hardware around that can push 4K pixels, Not very well I admit. But even to push games at 1440P you need pretty serious hardware.

True, Internet can't handle 4K, neither can Sky or Virgin, but what do we expect, it hasn't been around long enough, It took ages for 1080P to become mainstream enough for everyone to adopt it...

I'm not even getting into that conversation, I see consoles dieing out soon, I don't think anyone will be able to argue the console much longer, The specs of this current gen were rather poor for what is available, They don't exactly run cool now do they....

No point? There is always point, It just isn't supported enough for everyone to adopt it yet, To some, no, it isn't worth it, yet! Although I think 30 years is exagerating a tad, don't you...

ReputationRep:
    4K TVs/displays with no real content are sort of a necessary evil- if not enough people buy them then content creators will be more reluctant to adopt the format if there's nothing to gain from it. I wasn't particularly interested in technology that far back, but I'd wager it was a similar situation with the advent of 1080p.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

But until either 4k is a pretty standard resolution (so as to avoid having to mess around downsclaing) or 4k is VERY competitively priced against 1080p in the TV market and 1440p in the monitor market considering other features and the panel itself I would say they're still too much, especially given pixel density arguments start to break down when transitioning from 1080p to 4k, especially when it comes to moniors (TVs not so much because you get the extra size to the screen, but that isn't always particularly viable).
    If the feature set on 4K were better and if GPUs weren't barely able to drive them and the bandwidth on the cables is barely enough to manage even 60Hz I would have more interest, as it is I would rather have 1440p but with higher refresh rates and more features in the monitor market

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Apple products are VERY good and it's a fact. Before apple, I had to replace laptops at least every 2 years because they would just break. Not to mention Windows is terrible, and you have to restart it million times per year because it constantly freezes and has glitches. Comparing to that, my macbook NEVER did. And I've had it for 6 years! Same with my iphone, still have my 4c. Never had a single problem with it, comparing to samsungs, nokias etc, they'd break after a year or two. I guess you've never owned an Apple product.
    You do realise laptops have come very far in 6 years, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Apple products are VERY good and it's a fact. Before apple, I had to replace laptops at least every 2 years because they would just break. Not to mention Windows is terrible, and you have to restart it million times per year because it constantly freezes and has glitches. Comparing to that, my macbook NEVER did. And I've had it for 6 years! Same with my iphone, still have my 4c. Never had a single problem with it, comparing to samsungs, nokias etc, they'd break after a year or two. I guess you've never owned an Apple product.
    Then you're buying the wrong laptops. Buy a high quality >£850 laptop, run Linux: Boom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UkeHarvey)
    You do realise laptops have come very far in 6 years, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that could be argued, Yes they have come far, but at a price, We now have laptops that are thin and light, a big advantage, But we sacrifice quite a bit for that, Small storage space, Most have between 240GB - 512GB SSD's now, not a big problem but still... Smaller screen sizes, I miss the 15.6" screen now that I have a 13.3".... Still rather ****ty sceens, most are still 720P.... So not a big advancement there... and of course intergrated graphics with less powerful CPU's. admittedly the battery life is getting better but still not good enough, Macbook airs have had 9hr + Battery's for years, Windows? still only managing 5hrs tops in most cases

Yes they have come far, but not as far as they could've.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    x
    what are your thoughts on the new Blackberry Passport?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What's your definition of tacky? Apple products aren't tacky. They may well be overpriced, but they are very good robust products. Tacky suggests something that is bad quality.

I agree about Beats though. They are tacky (i.e. bad quality) and overpriced.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Not really, my friends, employers and family always complain about theirs.
    To say they haven't is foolish, but if the power increased 2x but the requirements increase 1.9x you will barely notice a thing on those applications, but they are A LOT better, especially now SSDs are starting to become more and more common as standard (and if you don't think SSDs are worth it you have clearly never used one). But, just like 6 years ago, the problem is with batteries, I wonder just how much better laptops will be in a few years when we get the next revolution in battery technology. If we look at the mobile GPU market, since Nvidia entered the market 4 years ago the processing power has increased almost six fold (and power has only increased by about 20%, and that's on a relatively inefficient architecture, the next mobile GPUs will probably have a lower TDP than the ones in 2010).

So on the hardware front we have come a long way, but that doesn't really seem to be the problem. Either you are neglectful with your hardware or your OS to get what you described, or alternatively you bought cheap **** and expected it to do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarly)
    what are your thoughts on the new Blackberry Passport?
    This is going to be a loooong rant.

I think it's going to be a failure for three key reasons;

*It's a weird, poorly thought out concept: The phone is absurdly wide, 20% wider than the OnePlus One and about 15% wider than the Galaxy Note 4, two phones that the majority of the people rule out for being uncomfortably big already and width is the key factor in this. This width is supposedly a benefit for productivity focused uses, but that's a minuscule market and the OPO/Note and other phablets get about 50% more screen real estate by not being stupid squares and making proper use of their footprint, which I'd wager businessmen would rather have than a few extra characters per line. I think Blackberry have literally just decided to create a productivity-oriented and look for any possible ideas of what could make sense on such a phone, even when it actually doesn't.

*Blackberry have taken a bad concept and delivered an even worse execution: There's so many things about the design of this phone that I think are stupid it's not even funny;
    -As above, it's stupidly wide, and the bottom chunk of the phone is occupied by a keyboard (more on that later). Even with a touch overlay on the keyboard this thing is going to be a nightmare to use one-handed for any task even for things like web browsing, because a huge chunk of the area your thumb can cover one-handed is occupied by a keyboard and not webpage to click on. Stupidly wide + sharp corners equals a nightmare for pockets too.
    -The keyboard is stupid. It's once again overly wide making one-handed typing impossible yet at the same time they've squished it together- they've removed the number bar and demoted it to a contextual on-screen row, probably making it horribly disjointed, and shoehorned the spacebar into the middle of the bottom row completely disrupting the typing experience for the 100% of people who have typed on keyboards where it gets a separate row. No shift key, no markings for alternate options for each button, and from what I've read in reviews it's not the same fantastic tactile typing experience that it used to be, even overlooking the physical/touchscreen split. Blackberry have taken keyboards, the one thing they do well, and ruined it.
    -A square display is stupid for nigh on everything. Stock apps, web browsing and other apps which can adapt to different screen sizes should be ok but the overwhelming majority of mobile content is designed for 16:9 or 16:10 ratios these days and I highly doubt games and things will look particularly smashing or will at very least have horrible letterboxing, as will be the case for video. They've also invested way too much value into a 1440 x 1440 resolution when 4.5" displays are more than fine with 720p or 1080p, and that sort of resolution is something that barely makes sense on Android, nevermind on an obscure platform developers have no incentive to cater to- BB10 is looking about as fragmented as early Android in terms of the sheer range of display sizes and specs with an OS that barely holds together on standard form factors.

*Blackberry OS isn't good enough to pull off this concept and isn't going to be getting any better: Gone are the days where Blackberries were the businessman's phones of choice, Blackberry OS lost all of its advantages over iOS and Android, started falling behind in new features, and lost all edges it held over security and reliability. Blackberry 10 did nothing to change that, and is still inferior to iOS and Android from a productivity standpoint. A lot of basic tasks are overly convoluted to execute, key software like Google Docs isn't available and the app ecosystem isn't likely to improve while Blackberry are a sinking ship, something the Passport has zero chance of resolving. There's literally no unique software features or exclusive apps to draw people away from the bigger operating systems and the awkward form factor will drive off the mainstream userbase. They've haemorrhaged as much market share as they can and now it's just a case of bottom feeders like Windows Phone picking the last sinews of meat off the carcass.

Blackberry needed a new phone that could meet mainstream demand and be desirable in some way to stabilise even a tiny userbase from which it could hopefully start rebuilding itself. Instead they've released a poorly executed niche device that might attract the occasional ageing CEO who read that "Blackberries are the best phones for professionals" on AOL back in 2008. For a company that's been fighting off bankruptcy and has as little as sub-1% market share according to some sources, I can't believe this is what they chose to release.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    This is going to be a loooong rant.

I think it's going to be a failure for three key reasons;

*It's a weird, poorly thought out concept: The phone is absurdly wide, 20% wider than the OnePlus One and about 15% wider than the Galaxy Note 4, two phones that the majority of the people rule out for being uncomfortably big already and width is the key factor in this. This width is supposedly a benefit for productivity focused uses, but that's a minuscule market and the OPO/Note and other phablets get about 50% more screen real estate by not being stupid squares and making proper use of their footprint, which I'd wager businessmen would rather have than a few extra characters per line. I think Blackberry have literally just decided to create a productivity-oriented and look for any possible ideas of what could make sense on such a phone, even when it actually doesn't.

*Blackberry have taken a bad concept and delivered an even worse execution: There's so many things about the design of this phone that I think are stupid it's not even funny;
    -As above, it's stupidly wide, and the bottom chunk of the phone is occupied by a keyboard (more on that later). Even with a touch overlay on the keyboard this thing is going to be a nightmare to use one-handed for any task even for things like web browsing, because a huge chunk of the area your thumb can cover one-handed is occupied by a keyboard and not webpage to click on. Stupidly wide + sharp corners equals a nightmare for pockets too.
    -The keyboard is stupid. It's once again overly wide making one-handed typing impossible yet at the same time they've squished it together- they've removed the number bar and demoted it to a contextual on-screen row, probably making it horribly disjointed, and shoehorned the spacebar into the middle of the bottom row completely disrupting the typing experience for the 100% of people who have typed on keyboards where it gets a separate row. No shift key, no markings for alternate options for each button, and from what I've read in reviews it's not the same fantastic tactile typing experience that it used to be, even overlooking the physical/touchscreen split. Blackberry have taken keyboards, the one thing they do well, and ruined it.
    -A square display is stupid for nigh on everything. Stock apps, web browsing and other apps which can adapt to different screen sizes should be ok but the overwhelming majority of mobile content is designed for 16:9 or 16:10 ratios these days and I highly doubt games and things will look particularly smashing or will at very least have horrible letterboxing, as will be the case for video. They've also invested way too much value into a 1440 x 1440 resolution when 4.5" displays are more than fine with 720p or 1080p, and that sort of resolution is something that barely makes sense on Android, nevermind on an obscure platform developers have no incentive to cater to- BB10 is looking about as fragmented as early Android in terms of the sheer range of display sizes and specs with an OS that barely holds together on standard form factors.

*Blackberry OS isn't good enough to pull off this concept and isn't going to be getting any better: Gone are the days where Blackberries were the businessman's phones of choice, Blackberry OS lost all of its advantages over iOS and Android, started falling behind in new features, and lost all edges it held over security and reliability. Blackberry 10 did nothing to change that, and is still inferior to iOS and Android from a productivity standpoint. A lot of basic tasks are overly convoluted to execute, key software like Google Docs isn't available and the app ecosystem isn't likely to improve while Blackberry are a sinking ship, something the Passport has zero chance of resolving. There's literally no unique software features or exclusive apps to draw people away from the bigger operating systems and the awkward form factor will drive off the mainstream userbase. They've haemorrhaged as much market share as they can and now it's just a case of bottom feeders like Windows Phone picking the last sinews of meat off the carcass.

Blackberry needed a new phone that could meet mainstream demand and be desirable in some way to stabilise even a tiny userbase from which it could hopefully start rebuilding itself. Instead they've released a poorly executed niche device that might attract the occasional ageing CEO who read that "Blackberries are the best phones for professionals" on AOL back in 2008. For a company that's been fighting off bankruptcy and has as little as sub-1% market share according to some sources, I can't believe this is what they chose to release.
    I own shares in Blackberry

Valid points nonetheless, Wall Street Journal was also not impressed. I lol'd at 'There's so many things about the design of this phone that I think are stupid it's not even funny' :lol:

nonetheless the stock is up some 3% today, and their future lies in the internet of things not handsets, so not overly concerned.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.