Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What will universities look at when we no longer have AS grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but I am so glad that this won't be the case for me, as my GCSEs are not up to standard for where I'm applying to because I didn't work for them. ><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    On 22 January 2013, the Secretary of State wrote to Ofqual to outline changes to A level structure from September 2015.
    The changes mean that the new A level will be linear, with all assessment at the end of two years of study. Although the AS level will be retained, it will be redesigned as a high quality stand-alone qualification as opposed to a means of progression to A2.
    The Secretary of State also confirmed plans for leading universities to be more closely involved in developing the content of the new A levels, starting with those subjects which are most commonly required for undergraduate study - maths and further maths; English (literature); physics; biology; chemistry; geography; history and languages (modern and classical).
    The first of the new A levels will be introduced for teaching in schools from September 2015, with first exams being sat in 2017

^^^Someone explain? It says the first exams of sixth form starting in 2015 will be in 2017, but it says AS will be a stand-alone qualification. How can we do our AS without sitting them? :confused:
    The first full A level exams for the new syllabus will be 2017.
    There will be AS exams for these subjects in 2016. As much as possible, examiners are designing a syllabus where the AS and first year A level content are coteachable. A school has the option to allow students to sit the AS though the result doesn't count towards the final A level grade.

If candidates don't do AS exams I guarantee schools will still do end of year progress exams that will enable them to predict their final A level grade exactly as they do now.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    XD Wow this thread exploded
    Yeah, I heard about it at school
    my physics teacher likes to threaten us by telling us our GCSEs actually count

ReputationRep:
    get revising, year 11s. your gcses count now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    The first full A level exams for the new syllabus will be 2017.
    There will be AS exams for these subjects in 2016. As much as possible, examiners are designing a syllabus where the AS and first year A level content are coteachable. A school has the option to allow students to sit the AS though the result doesn't count towards the final A level grade.

If candidates don't do AS exams I guarantee schools will still do end of year progress exams that will enable them to predict their final A level grade exactly as they do now.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oooh okay. So we don't sit any exams in year 12? I'm quite slow getting this aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Oooh okay. So we don't sit any exams in year 12? I'm quite slow getting this aha
    I think I said exactly the opposite
    You may still sit AS exams for which you would receive an AS QUALIFICATION. whether this would be your choice or a decision taken by the school is unclear. If not you will definitely sit end of year 12 progress exams.
    Note also that not all subjects are changed from first teaching in 2015, for some it's 2016 and others in 2017. So it depends on which subjects you choose for A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vd12345)
    I'm doing RS As in year 11.. So it won't count? Wtf
    You sure it wont count?
    I was thinking of doing an AS in year 11, I have a few more months to decide....

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades, scholarships, GCSE results, other academic awards, admissions tests. Unfortunately I also think they'll look more at which school you went to, as well, which can only lead to more elitism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    I think I said exactly the opposite
    You may still sit AS exams for which you would receive an AS QUALIFICATION. whether this would be your choice or a decision taken by the school is unclear. If not you will definitely sit end of year 12 progress exams.
    Note also that not all subjects are changed from first teaching in 2015, for some it's 2016 and others in 2017. So it depends on which subjects you choose for A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for helping!

ReputationRep:
    labor has clearly said that if they win they will push back the changes until 2017 to let students first experience the new GCSE's , i just really hope labor wins because i am in year 11 right now and think it is totally unfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STUDYREVISE)
    You sure it wont count?
    I was thinking of doing an AS in year 11, I have a few more months to decide....
    Ohh it was a question btw I'll ask my RS teacher. I'm unsure also

ReputationRep:
    ridiculous if they're just gonna look at GCSEs, I mean most kids that age aren't really motivated to do hugely well, and it's a shame for those who haven't been encouraged to take responsibility for their own work and until the end of year eleven a lot aren't independent at all and their GCSEs are their first qualifications so in reality there'll only be a small proportion of students whose results will accurately reflect their ability as well as an AS exam would.

ReputationRep:
    the only way to stop the reform is to vote labor i guess, http://labourlist.org/2014/08/labour...level-reforms/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astronomical)
    Predicted grades, scholarships, GCSE results, other academic awards, admissions tests. Unfortunately I also think they'll look more at which school you went to, as well, which can only lead to more elitism.
    That can only work to the favour of students who have attended the worst schools.

ReputationRep:
    Omg ... I'm so glad I'm in year 13 atm... Don't think I could cope with doing everything in year 13 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how I'm going to cope! It sounds too difficult, and I am in the first year to be affected!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, just recently GCSE exams became linear and now they want to make A levels the same. It's just too much pressure and unnecessary stress, honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STUDYREVISE)
    I don't know how I'm going to cope! It sounds too difficult, and I am in the first year to be affected!
    same , and i don't understand how we can do 6 maths modules all in year 13 summer along with our other exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humzaawan123)
    same , and i don't understand how we can do 6 maths modules all in year 13 summer along with our other exams
    Sorry but it's not that hard. I did all 6 modules of maths in year 12 and got a high A. People in my class got A* alongside getting As in 4 other subjects.

You just need to work hard and work early.
    Once you've done the content for C3 and C4 getting 90+ in C1 and C2 is no issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridann)
    Sorry but it's not that hard. I did all 6 modules of maths in year 12 and got a high A. People in my class got A* alongside getting As in 4 other subjects.

You just need to work hard and work early.
    Once you've done the content for C3 and C4 getting 90+ in C1 and C2 is no issue.
    oh ok thats a relief but along with other A2 subjects i am really scared

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.