Turn on thread page Beta

Do you have a lock on your room door? (private accomodation, not halls) watch

• View Poll Results: Do you have a lock on your room door?
    Yes - I can lock it from inside and outside
    75.00%
    Yes - I can only lock it from the inside
    10.00%
    No - my room door doesn't have a lock
    15.00%

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if people typically have locks on their room door in the flat/house they're sharing with other students.

I've suddenly realised that the flat I'll be moving into may not have locks on the individual room doors, which might be a problem. Because I think content insurance would be more expensive, and when I go away for some weekends, I don't want random drunken people my flatmates invited in to trash my room or even steal my stuff, although that might just be my paranoia.

If there aren't locks on the door, how do you get round this? Is it not too much to request the landlord put them in? Or would you just not bother?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much you trust your housemates

I don't have a lock on my door, but I could ask the landlord if I can have one put in, but I think it'd have to be removed at the end of the tenancy... all paid for by me of course.

Not really worth it I think; so long as you keep your valuables hidden away.

ReputationRep:
    my room was the only room without one. Wasn't too bothered but annoying when flatmates burst in when you're with a girl or they're pissed and decide to wake you up. yolo

ReputationRep:
    It definitely depends on the landlord and what they want. Some obviously rent the rooms in a house individually and therefore need locks. Others rent it to groups and trust that you all trust each other. I lived with 2 guys and a girl and kind of trusted them.

Last year, I didn't have a lock and key for individual rooms in my house. However, we were able to lock it from inside the room with the type of locks you get in bathrooms. My best mate on the other hand who lived elsewhere in Canterbury had locks on all the bedrooms that was in the house. So it really depends on the landlord on whether they feel like providing it.

It was annoying because they all came to use my stuff when I went home for the weekend and the only girl I was living with ended up squirting brown foundation on my cream sheets because she was playing with my makeup collection. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I live in Canterbury and we have locks on all our doors.. Im sure if you ask your landlord it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    When you look on the market for places to rent out, the places which are advertised for students usually have locks for the rooms.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't, but then again it wasn't a large student house, just shared with 3 people.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than have a lock on your door get hold of a filling cabinet or money box and put valuables in there. But it depends on how much you trust your flat mates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had one last year but you could only lock it from inside. However you could unlock it from the outside with a coin even though it wasn't designed to.

ReputationRep:
    I always had a lock, but I rarely actually bothered to use it tbf

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.