The Student Room Group

Bullying Feminists Is Not The Answer

Scroll to see replies

I liked Emma's speech. Some of it was of her words, and some of it is because I am a Harry Potter geek...

I consider myself a feminist but not an extreme one. I am feminist due to my views of middle-eastern girls not allowed an education because they're not male. Situations like that.

I agree with comments such as
'Issues such as domestic violence are mainly woman focused'.
Men definitely need to be included in these types of issues (others may include eating disorders etc).
Original post by MorganA07
I liked Emma's speech. Some of it was of her words, and some of it is because I am a Harry Potter geek...

I consider myself a feminist but not an extreme one. I am feminist due to my views of middle-eastern girls not allowed an education because they're not male. Situations like that.

I agree with comments such as
'Issues such as domestic violence are mainly woman focused'.
Men definitely need to be included in these types of issues (others may include eating disorders etc).

100% this. men in domestic violence, eating disorders, depression and suicide rates for men (i did an essay once on the reasons for russia having the world's highest suicide rates, especy for men) definitely need more awareness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
abolishing feminism won't bring equality, lol. do you think we're less equal now than we were in the 1800s? if so, i's strongly recommend you don't go into politics or law or anything that involved voicing these warped views (but assuming you went to herts, that shouldn't be a problem for you).

Posted from TSR Mobile

so bigoted :laugh:
Original post by ChickenMadness
so bigoted :laugh:

i'm just relieved you're never gonna get into politics and your words will not be weighted in society because of the ignorance they radiate. you can call me bigoted all you want, i'm still very happy about this fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by andrew2209
There is a cultural issue in these countries, and that does need to be dealt with. In these countries, there are legitimate problems with gender equality and feminism is needed.

However, in a first world country, such as France which my point was about, there is no need for Western feminism to try and promote "gender equality", by forcing males to pay for their adulterous wife's offspring.

And where has western feminism "promoted gender equality by forcing males to pay for their adulterous wife's offspring"? From the link you provided, the law was made on the advice of French psychologists, not feminist activists, on preservation of family peace. Futhermore, paternity testing is not banned in France, but banned without a court order. This is hardly some feminist conspiracy to entrap husbands into paying for children that aren't theirs.
i'm just relieved you're never gonna get into politics and your words will not be weighted in society because of the ignorance they radiate. you can call me bigoted all you want, i'm still very happy about this fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm happy theres a growing trend of women and men against feminism who want to achieve real equality. Feminism's (as it is today. Sexist) days are numbered.
Original post by apitchfork
Would you care to provide some evidence of where DNA testing has been made illegal expressly to help women 'commit paternity fraud'?

Sure. Broadly speaking, the definition of "paternity fraud", or is when a mother names a man to be the biological father of a child, when she knows or suspects that he is not the biological father.

The reason provided by the French government for the ban on paternity testing in France is to "preserve the peace" within French families (see http://www.ibdna.com/regions/UK/EN/?page=paternity-testing-ban-upheld-in-france and also http://murderbymedia.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/paternity-testing-in-france/ ); that is, to prevent the unrest caused when people find out that their child or father is not really theirs, or that their spouse has been unfaithful to them.

The way in which this law prevents said unrest is not by making it illegal for women to misattribute paternity in the first place. It is by preventing people from finding out that they have committed paternity fraud, enabling them to continue to do so.

Of course, the French government does not use the exact phrase "help women commit paternity fraud" in their justification for the law, they use the phrase "preserve the peace". But helping women to continue committing paternity fraud is the method they choose, of ensuring that the peace is preserved.
I'm happy theres a growing trend of women and men against feminism who want to achieve real equality. Feminism's (as it is today. Sexist) days are numbered.

You've yet to explain how feminism is sexist.
Original post by tazarooni89
Sure. Broadly speaking, the definition of "paternity fraud", or is when a mother names a man to be the biological father of a child, when she knows or suspects that he is not the biological father.

The reason provided by the French government for the ban on paternity testing in France is to "preserve the peace" within French families (see http://www.ibdna.com/regions/UK/EN/?page=paternity-testing-ban-upheld-in-france and also http://murderbymedia.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/paternity-testing-in-france/ ); that is, to prevent the unrest caused when people find out that their child or father is not really theirs, or that their spouse has been unfaithful to them.

The way in which this law prevents said unrest is not by making it illegal for women to misattribute paternity in the first place. It is by preventing people from finding out that they have committed paternity fraud, enabling them to continue to do so.

Of course, the French government does not use the exact phrase "help women commit paternity fraud" in their justification for the law, they use the phrase "preserve the peace". But helping women to continue committing paternity fraud is the method they choose, of ensuring that the peace is preserved.

So basically you're putting words in their mouth, while making the assumption that married women are just rife with illegitimate children. And still, paternity testing is not illegal in France! Only illegal without a court order.
if you believe that oppression of all kinds should be corrected, this includes oppression against women, and you don't support feminism therefore you do not support the correction of this oppression. where's the equality in that?

Incorrect. I do support the correction of oppression against women and men (i.e. equality) but I do not support feminism, which is not the same thing (don't try and pretend that it is).

i'm happy that feminism is really gaining momentum right now and will continue to until gender equality is reached.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apitchfork
You've yet to explain how feminism is sexist.

I've done that many times. And given numerous examples.

Even the new HeForShe campaign. Notice it isn't HeANDshe. or HeORshe
Original post by tazarooni89
Incorrect. I do support the correction of oppression against women and men (i.e. equality) but I do not support feminism, which is not the same thing (don't try and pretend that it is).

well i'm relieved that you support the correction of oppression against women and men :biggrin: congratulations, you're an inadvertent feminist and i applaud you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then you wouldn't mind humouring me by explaining it once more. I couldn't find anything substantial from you in this thread.

still, the word He is before She. that must make you happy, right? seeing as you've basically proved that equality for you is putting men first at all costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
still, the word He is before She. that must make you happy, right? seeing as you've basically proved that equality for you is putting men first at all costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

SheAndHe, then. It doesn't matter. The reason he put them in that order is because he's just changing the word in the middle... And before it was HeForShe, implying it's all being done for the benefit of women.
Original post by Dandaman1
SheAndHe, then. It doesn't matter. The reason he put them in that order is because he's just changing the word in the middle... And before it was HeForShe, implying it's all being done for the benefit of women.

what is wrong with action being taken for the benefit of underprivileged girls in africa? why are you being so sexist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is wrong with action being taken for the benefit of underprivileged girls in africa? why are you being so sexist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't fabricate things that were never said or even implied. Action should indeed be taken for the benefit of underprivileged girls in Africa. However, there are also a hell of a lot of underprivileged boys - they deserve attention too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like Dandaman1 said. It wouldn't matter if it was Sheandhe or heandshe.

HeFORshe implies that the campaign is completely for the benefit of women. It's like all other campaigns before it that imply men should serve women.
well i'm relieved that you support the correction of oppression against women and men :biggrin: congratulations, you're an inadvertent feminist and i applaud you.

No I'm not. Supporting the correction of oppression against men and women does not make you a feminist, inadvertent or otherwise. You say you're a feminist, but you still haven't given any indication that you support correction of the example of oppression against men that I gave you. I'm definitely not the same as what you are.

What I said earlier was:

Obviously you ignored the bit in bold.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending