Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bullying Feminists Is Not The Answer watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    She mentioned the wage gap elsewhere. She said that she was glad there wasn't a wage gap in the UK, meaning she could be paid the same as her male counterparts.
    The irony there being that in her role as UN women's ambassador she doesn't have a male counterpart at all. Not to mention her lucrative modelling career...

Which leads into the same point I made about the Hunger Games girl's pictures: it's hardly like Emma Watson is one of the victims of society, is it, and neither would she be with this incident: the only people who would be shamed to hell and back if her nudes were leaked would be 4chan and the men's movements. We don't stone women for sexual indiscretion any more in this part of the world.

I haven't listened to the speech as I know it would only frustrate me, but the content does seem sound. The main gripe is that this HeForShe thing sounds like men should only be getting into feminism because it benefits women, implying yet again that the only value men have, and the only thing that could ever motivate them, is their capacity to provide a nice life for women. In short, it betrays in women the most infuriating kind of privilege: that which the privileged group is blithely unaware of because of the world they inhabit.

Of course we are all facepalming at 4chan who are seriously tainting the various men's movements with their behaviour. Feminists must feel the same way about people like Dworkin and Solanas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    so pretty much what feminists do to anyone that disagrees with them then.

That's a common misconception. We actually want equality and feminists don't.

The whole reason theres a massive backlash against Emma's speech and general hatred for feminism is because it does the opposite of what you say. It's become more and more one-sided and undermines anything relating to male issues.
    Emma makes the point that women are not identifying as feminists. And that is because those women know feminism isn't about equality. They often take issues that happen to men and women and try to twist them with propaganda to make it seem like they don't happen to men.
    if this is true - in fact, if any of what you men on TSR are saying is true, then why have 90,000+ MEN around the world already signed the campaign? why won't you guys realise that the views you share are about feminism are rigid and outdated and emma's speech was a turning point for this movement?

all the hate against her speech does is raise awareness and make even more men around the world join the heforshe campaign. you must realise that the only people who share your hostility toward equality for women is fellow teenage boys in the dark corners of the internet. there's really no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Until I see feminists outside a family court protesting against the abhorrent treatment of men it is hard to support their cause. Emma's speech was good in being one of the first to actively acknowledge that in a number of cases men are also descriminated against. However it is actions that will define her campaign not words.

ReputationRep:
    so pretty much what feminists do to anyone that disagrees with them then.

That's a common misconception. We actually want equality and feminists don't.

The whole reason theres a massive backlash against Emma's speech and general hatred for feminism is because it does the opposite of what you say. It's become more and more one-sided and undermines anything relating to male issues.
    Emma makes the point that women are not identifying as feminists. And that is because those women know feminism isn't about equality. They often take issues that happen to men and women and try to twist them with propaganda to make it seem like they don't happen to men.
    but it doesn't undermine male issues. it simply recognises that, around the world, especially in developing countries, women are still being dominated and oppressed everyday by woman-hating patriarchal societies.
    but i know you from your previous posts and i can see that nothing i can say is going to change your ignorant point of view, so i won't bother.
    im a feminist and proud to be one, i want equality for everyone and i dont consider it a dirty word. anyone who does just feels threatened.

ReputationRep:
    The dictionary definition of feminism is one thing, but nothing like a great many feminists you come across in the real world.

Go to mumsnet and the feminist forums and you will see thread after thread of at best " we dont give a flying feck about men". at worst, large chunks of the scum manifesto.
    A small example was on a debate about mens health and one of the regulars, a person quite high up in the pecking order there, came out with this little snippet.

gincamparidryvermouth

" Or men might get equal treatment within the NHS.

FecK THEM.

If they need to be coaxed to go to the doctor about their really ****ing OBVIOUS health problems, and would die without their hands held all the way, then FecK THEM.

We're better off without them. I'm sure we can find a way to make it work."

What was I thinking? Ofcourse feminists have mens problems covered.

Tell all the mens human rights activists Go home boys . Youre not needed.😊

The striking thing to me was that nobody ( the other feminists) had a go at her for it, at least while I was there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    if this is true - in fact, if any of what you men on TSR are saying is true, then why have 90,000+ MEN around the world already signed the campaign? why won't you guys realise that the views you share are about feminism are rigid and outdated and emma's speech was a turning point for this movement?

all the hate against her speech does is raise awareness and make even more men around the world join the heforshe campaign. you must realise that the only people who share your hostility toward equality for women is fellow teenage boys in the dark corners of the internet. there's really no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because actions speak louder than words? It's like believing Hitlers promises, meanwhile he's exterminating all of the ethnic groups in the country. It's feminists that are rigid and outdated, sexist and a barrier to social equality.

And you're completely wrong on the second paragraph.https://www.facebook.com/WomenAgainstFeminism . It's early days but opposition to feminism is growing and people are taking a stand. It starts by raising awareness of the evils of the feminist movement!

(Original post by sherlockfan)
    but it doesn't undermine male issues. it simply recognises that, around the world, especially in developing countries, women are still being dominated and oppressed everyday by woman-hating patriarchal societies.
    but i know you from your previous posts and i can see that nothing i can say is going to change your ignorant point of view, so i won't bother.
    im a feminist and proud to be one, i want equality for everyone and i dont consider it a dirty word. anyone who does just feels threatened.
    It is your view that is ignorant. If you did enough research about feminists and their ugly campaigns or maybe if you had brothers or sons that you cared about you'd changed your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Because actions speak louder than words? It's like believing Hitlers promises, meanwhile he's exterminating all of the ethnic groups in the country. It's feminists that are rigid and outdated, sexist and a barrier to social equality.

And you're completely wrong on the second paragraph.https://www.facebook.com/WomenAgainstFeminism . It's early days but opposition to feminism is growing and people are taking a stand. It starts by raising awareness of the evils of the feminist movement!

It is your view that is ignorant. If you did enough research about feminists and their ugly campaigns or maybe if you had brothers or sons that you cared about you'd changed your mind.
    do you not have mothers and sisters you care about? selfish much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do you not have mothers and sisters you care about? selfish much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really. Because I don't support any movements that discriminate against them.

ReputationRep:

Ok mate. I think its fair to say from your responses that i have studied feminism more than you have.

ReputationRep:
    Ok mate. I think its fair to say from your responses that i have studied feminism more than you have.
    I think it's fair to assume you haven't. Judging by your responses.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Because I don't support any movements that discriminate against them.
    don't talk about discrimination as if you have a clue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    don't talk about discrimination as if you have a clue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    loled. Not sure if serious.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair to assume you haven't. Judging by your responses.
    My 12 page essay on gender inequality is what earned me an A star in sociology. So dont talk to me about what you dont know.

ReputationRep:
    My 12 page essay on gender inequality is what earned me an A star in sociology. So dont talk to me about what you dont know.
    Wow I am impressed. Also shocked as to why you are still a feminist if you know so much about the movement. I assume because you do not support equality for all?

ReputationRep:
    loled. Not sure if serious.
    i didn't ask for a closed caption of your life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i didn't ask for a closed caption of your life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    trolling attempt is poor.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I am impressed. Also shocked as to why you are still a feminist if you know so much about the movement. I assume because you do not support equality for all?
    Wow. Youre a moron. Go read the definition of feminism, im not wasting my time with trolls like you.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Youre a moron. Go read the definition of feminism, im not wasting my time with trolls like you.
    Standard feminist troll response. I find your manner to be arrogant and ignorant. The definition itself is biased so that does nothing for your argument.

Egalitarian
    Believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.

A person who advocates or supports the principle of equality for all people.

Feminism
    The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes

Now what conclusion do you expect me to draw after reading both of these definitions? More importantly what definition have you drawn? That is what perplexes me. I may even go so far as to say that it is you, who is a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Standard feminist troll response. I find your manner to be arrogant and ignorant. The definition itself is biased so that does nothing for your argument.

Egalitarian
    Believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.

A person who advocates or supports the principle of equality for all people.

Feminism
    The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes

Now what conclusion do you expect me to draw after reading both of these definitions? More importantly what definition have you drawn? That is what perplexes me.
    equality of the sexes is the key term here. what exactly is wrong with advocating women's rights? especially in parts of the world where everyday women and girls as young as 8 are being forced into marriage.

somehow i doubt you would be saying this about movements to gain equality for black people. how is this any different?

any men out there wishing to combat this kind of ignorance can help by signing here:

http://www.heforshe.org/#take-action

ReputationRep:
    Male 'dominance' rests on so much fragility that even talking about female empowerment results in a debate.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.