The Student Room Group

Structure and last line

How should i structure the statement? Stuff about why I want to study the course first and then pesronal stuff after? Could you please give me some rough/relatively detailed advice on how to strucure it because I have every paragraph (47 lines) written, I just need to put them in a normal order.

Also what should the final sentence be for the personal statement? Could I say something like 'I'd relish the opportunity to study at your university' or 'I hope you'll look favourably upon my application'? What should it be?
Hiya,

Your intro should go straight into why the subject. It's good to give some examples to explain what you find interesting about the subject and why and that you have an understanding of what studying the subject is like.

Your next 2-3 paras should be about your academic interest in the subject. Talk about your reading and/or studies, any relevant work experience, any summer schools you've attended etc. These paras should really demonstrate your interest in the subject and your understanding of what studying it and working in the field is like. Use specific examples.

Then you have an extra curriculars para which should be about 100 words about stuff you've done which has given you relevant transferable skills.

Conclusion should come back to your interest in the subject and why you feel prepared for uni. Please do not address the reader directly. Please do not say things like 'your uni' because it comes across as insincere. Admissions officers know you're applying to more than one uni.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Phillipo57
How should i structure the statement? Stuff about why I want to study the course first and then pesronal stuff after? Could you please give me some rough/relatively detailed advice on how to strucure it because I have every paragraph (47 lines) written, I just need to put them in a normal order.

Also what should the final sentence be for the personal statement? Could I say something like 'I'd relish the opportunity to study at your university' or 'I hope you'll look favourably upon my application'? What should it be?

Try using the drafting tool: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes

That should give you an idea what content to include where.
Original post by Phillipo57

I agree with everything Alleycat393 has said about structure. If this is something you're struggling with, the PS help tool might be useful. It's also a good way to check that your statement has a good balance of content in each section. Link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help

With your last line, I wouldn't agonise about it too much. So long as you have a reasonable conclusion, whatever you've put will be fine. Both the examples you've put don't really add anything to a statement, and would waste characters, though, but one bad line won't cause your application to be thrown out!

Avoid using contractions, as these are seen as too informal. You should write words out in full throughout.

Finally, I'd advise you to check the line limit on the UCAS website itself, if you haven't already.

Quick Reply

Latest