Turn on thread page Beta

Why is everyone having kids or settling down? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Try looking out for the people without kids to retrain your brain. Because it is certainly not true that everyone is having kids. It may just be your particular social circle. I've met quite a few people (including couples) who have chosen not to have children.

In any case, I don't have kids and don't plan to. All my friends who are parents will tell me "don't have kids"....as if I didn't already know it's not for me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMacho)
    Yes. It is. If your parents or grandparents expect or hope for you to provide them with grandchildren they are putting there own desires above your own right to decide what happens to your own body
    Exactly.

I think people should want kids for themselves, not for others. What's with the obsession over giving people grandkids? What about what you want? It's your body.

People who expect their kids to 'give them grandchildren' are selfish IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Your life, so do what you want and stop letting people influence your life decisions. Everyone is different.
    #YOLO#

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Some places are just like that... Hartlepool I'm looking squarely at you! They're kind of nowhere towns that people just get stuck in and end up living life like almost everyone else who lives there. People tend to settle down early, get unremarkable jobs varying in quality between good and breadline. They then go on to live life in a small town with a small town mentality, probably never leaving and having any major drivers taken out of their life by their contentedness at being settled and having kids. My Mum is forever asking me about girlfriends and the only answer I have for her at the minute is "all in good time." I'm 20 now so there is still oodles of time but I think because my Mum was engaged at 19, married at 22, with child at 24 she thinks that this kind of timeline is fairly standard, she acknowledges she was pretty young but then says people becoming Dad's at 30 are getting on a bit so her variance isn't much at all!
    I can definitely relate to that. I'm in the same boat: from an ex-industrial northern town 20 miles away from the big city. It's pretty big and better connected compared to some, but it's pretty much the same as Hartlepool. People tend to settle down early, get boring low paid jobs in call-centres, shops, warehouses and in care homes that pay just a bit above minimum wage (but not that much). They then live the rest of their lives in their small town where their gran, grandad, dad, mum, aunties and uncles still live; never leaving.

Life in ex-industrial northern towns is very simple: people live just to get by, everything caters for the Baby Boomer generation, Going out on 'Satdee neet' is one of life's main pleasures and the majority have a very traditional view of masculinity. Most young people with big ambitions go and never come back or are stuck and dying to leave.

I don't even want to think about kids until I'm earning enough to give then a good life and until I'm ready to settle. I work with kids as it is so I'm not in a rush. My job kinda puts me off. Plus being brought up in an estate full of single parents and rough arse families kinda puts me off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's just the way it's always been, people in fact used to settle down at a much younger age. That's actually still true in other countries.

I also don't get why people aks why do people have kids or want kids, I feel like the answer to that is remarkably obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Mid 20s would be too young for me. They way I see it you should spend as much time putting yourself first,trying to have a good time and setting yourself up for the future you want.
    For some people that's having a family. There's plenty of time to settle down. But there's such a small window to try and get an education, travel ect before money becomes an issue. You really are only young once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMacho)
    Not in the direct sense, but is ****ing weird that procreation is considered a sensible life goal in an already overly populated world and people who shun the "settling down and having kids" game in order to live for the moment and enjoy life are considered the backwards ones.
    Under population is more of a global threat than overpopulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajibola)
    Under population is more of a global threat than overpopulation.
    Under Ageing population

ReputationRep:
    We're the generation with an extended youth. We are only just gaining independence at a later age

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm still sorting my life out. Never mind having to worry about someone else's.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should be having kids and be having them at the earliest opportunity. Anyone who isn't interested in having kids is a failure at life. It is important that if you see other people of a similar age to you having kids, you should do likewise. Please do not think for yourself. Always do what is considered to be normal by society. If your friends and family expect you to have children you must obey their expectations. Their wishes for how to conduct your own life are far more important than your wishes for conducting your own life. Forget your aspirations, hopes and dreams, They are meaningless. The only thing worth doing in life is tieing yourself up in a depressing job that you hate for 60 years so that you can support your children. Besides, having kids is good for the national economy. Kids are very expensive and this is a good thing because it means that you are forced to constantly consume overpriced goods and services which in turn contributes to the country's annual GDP figures whilst keeping you in indentured servitude. David Cameron really appreciates it. Welcome to the matrix. Enjoy your stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    I can definitely relate to that. I'm in the same boat: from an ex-industrial northern town 20 miles away from the big city. It's pretty big and better connected compared to some, but it's pretty much the same as Hartlepool. People tend to settle down early, get boring low paid jobs in call-centres, shops, warehouses and in care homes that pay just a bit above minimum wage (but not that much). They then live the rest of their lives in their small town where their gran, grandad, dad, mum, aunties and uncles still live; never leaving.

Life in ex-industrial northern towns is very simple: people live just to get by, everything caters for the Baby Boomer generation, Going out on 'Satdee neet' is one of life's main pleasures and the majority have a very traditional view of masculinity. Most young people with big ambitions go and never come back or are stuck and dying to leave.

I don't even want to think about kids until I'm earning enough to give then a good life and until I'm ready to settle. I work with kids as it is so I'm not in a rush. My job kinda puts me off. Plus being brought up in an estate full of single parents and rough arse families kinda puts me off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm actually from York, it's just my parents are Hartlepudlian, they just identified early that they wanted to get out of that environment. Granda was a DJ, my Dad was a DJ and he didn't want to be doing that for the rest of his life. He's now an engineer. Funnily enough his older brother who was also a DJ but never got out of Hartlepool still does DJing among other jobs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2014
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.