Turn on thread page Beta

Is it only me that wants to make a lot of money above all else? watch

ReputationRep:
    Money is the third most common reason people do things, after sex and power. So I'm guessing you're not alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    And this depends on the person. To me, money does buy happiness
    :hahaha: I feel bad for you. If you're unhappy poor and you were born poor or average, then you need to find something in yourself to be happy about. If you don't, or can't, and then strike rich, you will still never be happy. Don't you pay attention to what's on TV :facepalm2: Rich beautiful celebs overdosing because they were alone or depressed or stressed out or still unfulfilled.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be poor and happy surrounded by people I love and who love me than rich and depressed and alone :closedeyes:.

ReputationRep:
    If I had copious money id probably give it to charity/start my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiOt GrrrL)
    I'd rather be poor and happy surrounded by people I love and who love me than rich and depressed and alone :closedeyes:.
    Being rich doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be lonely.

ReputationRep:
    What if you were rich and happy and surrounded by the people you love and who love you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    What if you were rich and happy and surrounded by the people you love and who love you?
    If you were surrounded by love, you wouldn't care either way about your finances.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Well obviously that would be a bit of everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sytner9)
    Being rich doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be lonely.
    I never said it did. I did say I'd rather be in one scenario over another hypothetical situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    If you were surrounded by love, you wouldn't care either way about your finances.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperiorGenius)
    Me too. That's why I want to do medicine.
    Medicine is a terrible career choice if you're in it just for the money. Job security yes, earning in the solid 40-80k mark yes. But rich? Only the very few get rich of medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Starving to death with the people I love doesn't sound like much fun to me.

ReputationRep:
    X
    I convinced myself during my last few years of secondary school that i'd make millions. Then I left school and realised it's not actually as easy as it sounds.

So I got a training contract as an accountant. I thought if I want to keep the option of starting a business open then I should do something that would make it easy for me to pick up contacts and business knowledge. Also the fact I spent a good few years planning businesses (which never took off, sadly!) and found I was enjoying doing the finance stuff most.

I've already tried running one business which didn't work, purely because I wasn't committed. I'm now awaiting an order from China which I am going to list on ebay to see how they sell. If they sell, I'll buy more, if they don't, I'll try something else. Any experience is better than nothing.

Once I qualify as a chartered accountant I'll be moving to London to try and make it in a top finance job somewhere in industry (obviously not by just moving to London and going for an interview for CEO of a FTSE company hahah). I figured if I can't start my own business then I want to run a 'ready made' business.

I'm still convinced that I will retire rich, but it may not happen as quick as I was first hoping when I was at school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I convinced myself during my last few years of secondary school that i'd make millions. Then I left school and realised it's not actually as easy as it sounds.

So I got a training contract as an accountant. I thought if I want to keep the option of starting a business open then I should do something that would make it easy for me to pick up contacts and business knowledge. Also the fact I spent a good few years planning businesses (which never took off, sadly!) and found I was enjoying doing the finance stuff most.

I've already tried running one business which didn't work, purely because I wasn't committed. I'm now awaiting an order from China which I am going to list on ebay to see how they sell. If they sell, I'll buy more, if they don't, I'll try something else. Any experience is better than nothing.

Once I qualify as a chartered accountant I'll be moving to London to try and make it in a top finance job somewhere in industry (obviously not by just moving to London and going for an interview for CEO of a FTSE company hahah). I figured if I can't start my own business then I want to run a 'ready made' business.

I'm still convinced that I will retire rich, but it may not happen as quick as I was first hoping when I was at school!
    I completely agree with the notion that any experience is better than no experience. I started a business on eBay in the second half of my last year buying and selling vinyl records and made a few thousand but I think the thing that was most valuable for me to take away was the experience it gave me in business. I also completely understand that it's not as easy as it sounds which is why I am going to Oxford to study Chemistry. However, if I hit a gold mine when I am there, I am leaving straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Why do you feel like you need so much money? Are you trying to buy happiness? Do you feel insecure without a lot of money and materials? I don't understand.
    I don't need so much money, I just really want it. It's not that I'm insecure or anything, it's just that having so much money would mean I can do pretty much everything I want to do, which would make me happy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would certainly be up for that. As long as it is profitable.
    There are some advantages and disadvantages when wanting to make a business partnership with someone but business is all about making money so if you think that business is for you then go for it but make sure you think twice before making your ultimate decisions because as I said there are some disadvantages you may want to look at.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.