Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Not long ago, I used to be afraid of presenting, introducing myself to others and saying "hey" back to others when they say "hello" to me. This was probably 2-3 years ago.
    Now that I'm in sixth form, I feel a lot better because there are some new faces and they don't know the "old" me.
    I find it a lot easier to say "hey" back to others and even start a small convo. I always say hi to my teachers before lessons start.
    Is there any reason why my social anxiety has slightly become better?
    However I still find acting in front of the class awkward but can sometimes present a small presentation in front of the class. Is there anyway I can get rid of this fear, so I can volunteer to do a presentation?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well you said yourself that you feel better because these new people don't know the old you, so that's probably made you more confident as you feel that you can start afresh.
    The best way I found to get rid of my fear of presentations was just to force myself to do them and not try to get out of them, It's hard at first but once you've done a few, you realise there's no need to be scared. Especially at sixth form, people aren't likely to care if you make a little mistake or say something wrong, so it's honestly not that bad. I mean, obviously most people still get a little nervous before doing a presentation and that's completely normal, but if it's getting to the point where you are actively trying to avoid doing them then you need to step back and think to yourself that chances are, nothing bad is going to happen and it's usually all in your head.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need to volunteer?

Your anxiety is something that the people around you will have to deal with. I'm at university and luckily medicine doesn't have that many presentations but on the off chance I am presenting stuff I tend to focus on the back of the room and of course I would have done a lot of rehearsal beforehand in my room where I memorised all the information. My presenting skills are not the best but at the end of the day I'm not learning to be a news presenter on TV so that's fine and I accept my weakness.

Last year I remember this girl asked me a question I didn't know after I asked the audience if they had any questions for me. I wasn't expecting anyone to raise their hand but this slut did and she showed me up. I was so angry and anxious that I just stood there and spoke about something unrelated until the lecturer thanked me. After the presentations were done I approached the girl and gave her a piece of my mind and told her what she did wasn't cool and that she did it on purpose to show me up. She left the bathroom stall crying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armin.)
    Why do you need to volunteer?

Your anxiety is something that the people around you will have to deal with. I'm at university and luckily medicine doesn't have that many presentations but on the off chance I am presenting stuff I tend to focus on the back of the room and of course I would have done a lot of rehearsal beforehand in my room where I memorised all the information. My presenting skills are not the best but at the end of the day I'm not learning to be a news presenter on TV so that's fine and I accept my weakness.

Last year I remember this girl asked me a question I didn't know after I asked the audience if they had any questions for me. I wasn't expecting anyone to raise their hand but this slut did and she showed me up. I was so angry and anxious that I just stood there and spoke about something unrelated until the lecturer thanked me. After the presentations were done I approached the girl and gave her a piece of my mind and told her what she did wasn't cool and that she did it on purpose to show me up. She left the bathroom stall crying.
    What were you doing in the ladies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    What were you doing in the ladies?
    It's a gender neutral toilet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armin.)
    It's a gender neutral toilet.
    Lmao, OK.

Why did you have it out with her while she was in a stall? Don't you think you could have let her **** in peace before you gave her a piece of your mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Lmao, OK.

Why did you have it out with her while she was in a stall? Don't you think you could have let her **** in peace before you gave her a piece of your mind?
    Trust me you would be on my side if you knew this girl she's a total ***** she wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. I was building the courage to confront her during the whole day and it was the last lecture before the day ended so I didn't want to leave it at that. I wanted to corner her alone without her friends about her. I mean I did wait for her to exit the stall for about 5 mins (I counted) so she wasn't ****ting maybe changing tampons I don't know I didn't hear any sounds in there I just opened the tap to make her hurry up but she wasn't coming out any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    Is Armin actually real?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.