Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am not going to a Redbrick/Russel group Uni. watch

ReputationRep:
    I was supposed to go to Birmingham, but I missed it by one grade. So now, I am off to Hull. I feel a bit ashamed telling people - purely because the Rusell groups have been hyped up so much. Am I worrying about nothing? Will my uni affect my future prospects?

I don't mean to sound rude, so please, don't take this offensive! I just feel disappointed I missed out on my firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Utterly-confused)
    I was supposed to go to Birmingham, but I missed it by one grade. So now, I am off to Hull. I feel a bit ashamed telling people - purely because the Rusell groups have been hyped up so much. Am I worrying about nothing? Will my uni affect my future prospects?

I don't mean to sound rude, so please, don't take this offensive! I just feel disappointed I missed out on my firm.
    I am really sorry to hear about that. If I was you I would resit the year. I never got how people miss their conditional offer by a grade at a good university end up going to such downer uni. You always try to get a 1st and do a masters at a top uni. And Rusell group uni are way to hyped anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The only people who bother with the term Russell Group are university students and journalists who need a catchy term for describing the most competitive universities for entry.

And by the way, Hull is described by some as being a redbrick, although it's not usually mentioned alongside the usual six redbricks.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go into Investment Banking, hull most likely won't make the cut in comparison to Birmingham. Other than that, noone gives a ****.. I don't think. Apart from maybe snobbish target school kids who think they're the be-all and end-all.

ReputationRep:
    If it bothers you that much, you can easily retake and get in next year(?) There's nothing really stopping you if you get As.

I think it will potentially affect you in regards to employment (not necessarily Hull vs Bham), but just the higher in 'ranking/prestige' you go, it looks better on your CV.

It just depends on what you're going into, and how much you really want it.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not happy with your results and you feel that Hull is not the university that best suits your demands or intellectual capacity, then retake and reapply for 2015/16. Furthermore claiming that going to a given university will end affecting your employment opportunities negatively and that the higher in the league table, the better is a load of bullsh*t. A good university student not only has to exceed academically, but also demonstrate the ability to perform in extracurricular activities (say, part-time jobs, working experience acquired during the summertime of your course, etc). If you get a 1st, whether it is at Oxbridge and the Russell Group or at University of East London, that's it, you are in the national 10% of degrees awarded and I doubt any graduate entry job or MA would push you back solely because you went to Hull and not University College, Oxford.

I am going to use myself as an example. I am currently starting a BA in History and Archaeology at Birkbeck, University of London. I'd admit that it is not a particularly well known university, as it usually caters to the needs of people who are already working, who are looking to improve their working opportunities, and it only began offering full-time courses back in 2010. Very well, I am not an Oxbridge student. But I don't want to be one and neither I aspire to become such a thing, as once you look deeper you'll see they have one of the strongest History departments in the UK and it usually ranks among the 50 best in the world. Furthermore, it also allows me the opportunity take additional intercollegiate modules at the likes of LSE, RHUL UCL or King's, as they are within the Institute of Historical Research scheme. So you see, it is not where you study but whether you are the best at it and the one who was actually smart enough to follow all the opportunities provided throughout the course.

I am not ashamed of saying where I am studying. Think on the following for a second: you have gotten farther than 50% of the school leaving population. Solely because of that, you must be extremely proud of yourself. Congratulations on getting into Hull and really, if someone dares mocking and dissing you solely based on where you went they are probably tw*ts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There is a whole world outside of TSR, redbricks, Russell Bridge and Oxbridge. Go and find it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why are people so stuck up on image?

Social pressure has a lot to answer for.

ReputationRep:
    Hull is hardly bad. I know someone who did a Masters at Cambridge then went to Hull for a PhD. My old Classics teacher also went there and he was one of the smartest people I have ever met. You should be proud and stop degrading your achievement.

ReputationRep:

I went Hull

Best 3 years of my life, met some fantastic people.

Oh and I got a good job at the end of it, so it turned out ok

ReputationRep:
    The Russell Group is just an association of universities who sometimes work together on research projects. That's it.

Redbrick is often about being an old university with a long academic history.

Some of the top universities (e.g. Lancaster) are technically neither. It really doesn't matter. Hull is a good uni and has excellent student satisfaction. Go and get a good degree, make sure you've got interests and skills outside of your degree, and you'll be absolutely fine.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

Hull is a well respected university - what are you going to be studying?

I went to Hull - employers look straight at my grade and my extra-curricular activities/work experience; they don't care where I went. Friends who have done undergrads at Hull have gone on to do post-grad stuff at redbrick unis, so it's not going to hold you back.

Also, I did my first year at another university and the quality of involvement and teaching at Hull was much, much better.

Actually, people frequently mistake Hull for being a redbrick in my experience.

I had a brilliant time there. So don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hull is a well respected university - what are you going to be studying?

I went to Hull - employers look straight at my grade and my extra-curricular activities/work experience; they don't care where I went. Friends who have done undergrads at Hull have gone on to do post-grad stuff at redbrick unis, so it's not going to hold you back.

Also, I did my first year at another university and the quality of involvement and teaching at Hull was much, much better.

Actually, people frequently mistake Hull for being a redbrick in my experience.

I had a brilliant time there. So don't worry.
    How old are you and what did you study?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by zKlown)
    How old are you and what did you study?
    I did History. Graduated in 2011. What did you study?

ReputationRep:
    I did History. Graduated in 2011. What did you study?
    I studied Business Economics but I graduated a year after you.

Best years of my life, miss it so much
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I studied Business Economics but I graduated a year after you.

Best years of my life, miss it so much
    What are you up to now?

I had a great time in Hull, I miss its weird charms. Like Fulton's Foods, Frutopia... The land of green ginger... Welly... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    What are you up to now?

I had a great time in Hull, I miss its weird charms. Like Fulton's Foods, Frutopia... The land of green ginger... Welly... :moon:
    I work in telecommunications (railway infrastructure etc). Quite enjoy it.

I never went in Welly ya know... I was more of a Pozition/Piper/Asylum guy.

I miss just the small things like hanging out with mates in my own place, the banter, being around like minded people my age.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I work in telecommunications (railway infrastructure etc). Quite enjoy it.

I never went in Welly ya know... I was more of a Pozition/Piper/Asylum guy.

I miss just the small things like hanging out with mates in my own place, the banter, being around like minded people my age.
    In my final year Welly got really good for some unknown reason. Started playing decent music!

Hm, it does change after uni, especially everyone seems to scatter across the world. It's weird now I've got a steady job and my friends are starting to get married. But things change I guess, so I try to make the best of them!

To be honest though the first couple of years after uni were pretty similar to being at uni Have you moved in with your parents again or did you manage to find your own place?

ReputationRep:
    In my final year Welly got really good for some unknown reason. Started playing decent music!

Hm, it does change after uni, especially everyone seems to scatter across the world. It's weird now I've got a steady job and my friends are starting to get married. But things change I guess, so I try to make the best of them!

To be honest though the first couple of years after uni were pretty similar to being at uni Have you moved in with your parents again or did you manage to find your own place?
    Moved back in with my mum. I don't wanna rent, I'd rather save for a big deposit for a mortgage. Plus I quite enjoy living at home.

Yeah, I've lost touch with most my friends from home, which is a shame but I have a few close friends who I go to gym with etc.

I just miss the lazy lifestyle really, just getting up at like 10, jumping on Xbox with roommates, going to a lecture, maybe gym, then a night out.

I'm too much of a kid lol

ReputationRep:
    I'd listen to Stephen Fry, were I you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.