The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because people can dress how they want?
Why do guys think it's ok to tell girls how to dress? They can do what they want, just like guys can.
because it is ok.
Original post by mariachi
you mean, we should protect predators and psychos from this intolerable provocation, and take strong measures so as not to expose them to immoral temptation by these alluring vixen ?

how kindly and considerate of you. I doubt however that predators and psychos will be very grateful.

Not to protect the psychos and predators out there, no but to help decrease the chances of being raped. Someone made a point that women dress in skimpy clothes to attract members of the opposite sex so it is bound to attract rapist and if you've read anything else that I have written I did include that first of all people should be educated not to rape. There are so many ways to protect women and this is one of them. I'm not saying that women should full on cover up but I think things like bra tops, shorts that look like underwear etc. are a big problem and are likely the reason why some idiots out there start perving on girls.
Original post by arkhamz
Haha, I totally agree with you on that one. Torn jeans make no sense whatsoever.

Ive seen denim clothes that looked as though they have been torn and sown back together on purpose. Whats the point?
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Not to protect the psychos and predators out there, no but to help decrease the chances of being raped.
this makes little or no sense

in any case, most assaults and rapes are not committed by random psychos "out there" but by persons well known to the victims

you seem to have a rather distorted and irrational picture of what's happening "out there"
(edited 9 years ago)
this makes little or no sense

in any case, most assaults and rapes are not committed by random psychos "out there" but by persons well known to the victims

you seem to have a rather distorted and irrational picture of what's happening "out there"

What doesn't make sense from a simple sentence? I'm saying that covering up a bit will stop temptation.You can get raped by a random person or someone you know. Either way, skimpy clothes are a temptation as well as other factors.
I agree you can wear whatever the hell you want but sometimes you just have to go that extra mile to ensure your safety.
Not to protect the psychos and predators out there, no but to help decrease the chances of being raped. Someone made a point that women dress in skimpy clothes to attract members of the opposite sex so it is bound to attract rapist and if you've read anything else that I have written I did include that first of all people should be educated not to rape. There are so many ways to protect women and this is one of them. I'm not saying that women should full on cover up but I think things like bra tops, shorts that look like underwear etc. are a big problem and are likely the reason why some idiots out there start perving on girls.

yeah but it doesn't. wearing revealing clothing does not increase your chance of getting raped. there is no effective action women can take to avoid the actions of a tiny minority of determined socoipaths.
Original post by cole-slaw
yeah but it doesn't. wearing revealing clothing does not increase your chance of getting raped. there is no effective action women can take to avoid the actions of a tiny minority of determined socoipaths.

1)educate people NOT to rape.
2) most people wear revealing clothes to attract the opposite sex so why not rapists?
1)educate people NOT to rape.
2) most people wear revealing clothes to attract the opposite sex so why not rapists?

because rapists don't think like normal people, and rape doesn't happen in the kind of situations you are imagining. Most of the time, it is someone the victim knows well. Otherwise, victims tend to be selected based on opportunity rather than some notion of attraction.
Original post by Arithmeticae
lmao, why do you think people need to be told? pretty much everyone knows rape is wrong, some people just choose to act on it despite that

it's a matter of opportunity, not how hot someone looks

Posted from TSR Mobile

They need to be told again and again so they learn to respect other people, regardless of their gender.
Original post by cole-slaw
because rapists don't think like normal people, and rape doesn't happen in the kind of situations you are imagining. Most of the time, it is someone the victim knows well. Otherwise, victims tend to be selected based on opportunity rather than some notion of attraction.

obviously some rapists don't think like 'normal' people but not all rapists have mental problems. Some do it deliberately.
If you got it flaunt it
What doesn't make sense from a simple sentence? I'm saying that covering up a bit will stop temptation.You can get raped by a random person or someone you know. Either way, skimpy clothes are a temptation as well as other factors.
I agree you can wear whatever the hell you want but sometimes you just have to go that extra mile to ensure your safety.
rapists take advantage of the situation - being alone with the victim, mainly. This can happen on a deserted road, but most of the time it will happen in other situations - with "friends", dates, and - unfortunately, most of all - with family. Not on the public beach or in nudist camps.

So, "skimpy clothing" will have very little, if anything to do with this. Furthermore, even just mentioning in this context "skimpy clothing" or "temptation" will encourage people to shift (at least some part of the) blame on the victim.

"She was asking for it" is a comment that is heard all too often, unfortunately.
(edited 9 years ago)
The high-street jeans with holes in are a nod to punk fashion.
obviously some rapists don't think like 'normal' people but not all rapists have mental problems. Some do it deliberately.

They're not saying that rapists are raping by accident!

They are saying that rapists are not normal people, possessed of a normal mindset.

How are you defining mental problem?
rapists take advantage of the situation - being alone with the victim, mainly. This can happen on a deserted road, but most of the time it will happen in other situations - with "friends", dates, and - unfortunately, most of all - with family. Not on the public beach or in nudist camps.

So, "skimpy clothing" will have very little, if anything to do with this. Furthermore, even just mentioning in this context "skimpy clothing" or "temptation" will encourage people to shift (at least some part of the) blame on the victim.

"She was asking for it" is a comment that is heard all too often, unfortunately.

I was not trying to say that. Of course that is a horrible thing to say, no one asks to be raped! I was just making a point that what you wear is a factor. I am a girl, I do understand that no one wants to be told what to wear but sometimes you need to consider what you're wearing and in some cases where you wear it.

The 'skimpy' clothes I am are referring to are bra tops and hot pants. THOSE are so revealing.

Original post by Octopus_Garden
They're not saying that rapists are raping by accident!

They are saying that rapists are not normal people, possessed of a normal mindset.

How are you defining mental problem?

mental problem: Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions disorders that affect your mood, thinking and behavior.

Of course these types of rapists so not deserve to be pardoned, ill or not. A rapist should be punished and it is entirely THEIR fault.
LOL at the girls on here saying they can dress how they want. In my experience girls are first people to judge other girls and slut shame them when other girls are wearing revealing clothing.
Reply 98
Original post by MancBoy
LOL at the girls on here saying they can dress how they want. In my experience girls are first people to judge other girls and slut shame them when other girls are wearing revealing clothing.

Do you ever feel pressure to wear revealing clothes?
Original post by Jgco2chem
Today there's hardly a choice the normal clothes shop purposely sells revealing clothes, clothes that are tight... the clothes on sale give women no choice but to accept it, thinking this is the way forward this is norm to dress to satisfy male desires, people in society find it weird to cover up..hence alien attitude towards hijabs/burkhas

Have you actually been into a womens clothing section?

It's like the BBC props department, the amount of choice is staggering, as is the number of styles and the amount you do or do not want to show off.

Latest