Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I started Year 12 a few weeks ago and my AS choices are: English Literature, Classic Civilization, History, Government & Politics and Critical Thinking. It might seem unrealistic, but I would like to achieve mostly As in these subjects (a few Bs wouldn't really bother me) and, although it might seem like an silly question, I was wondering if anybody might have some advice on how I might do this.

My GCSE grades were quite good (2 A*s, 4 As, 1 Distinction, 3 Bs and 2 Cs), but I know that if I'd worked harder I could have done better. This was a wake-up call for me and now I feel inspired to do my best at AS and A2! I'm just about keeping on top of homework, have all of my folders organised (the amount of time I've spent copying out my notes to look neater is astonishing), and I'm generally keeping more organised and am more proactive in my studies than I was during my GCSEs.

So, any extra advice I should take on board? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Those subjects are weak, pointless, easy and embarrassing. Enjoy your easy 5 As, you don't need advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by folieadeux)
    Hey! I started Year 12 a few weeks ago and my AS choices are: English Literature, Classic Civilization, History, Government & Politics and Critical Thinking. It might seem unrealistic, but I would like to achieve mostly As in these subjects (a few Bs wouldn't really bother me) and, although it might seem like an silly question, I was wondering if anybody might have some advice on how I might do this.

My GCSE grades were quite good (2 A*s, 4 As, 1 Distinction, 3 Bs and 2 Cs), but I know that if I'd worked harder I could have done better. This was a wake-up call for me and now I feel inspired to do my best at AS and A2! I'm just about keeping on top of homework, have all of my folders organised (the amount of time I've spent copying out my notes to look neater is astonishing), and I'm generally keeping more organised and am more proactive in my studies than I was during my GCSEs.

So, any extra advice I should take on board? Thanks
    It's a rather common mix of choices. Many people who I know who do these do rather well. As long as you can keep up with coursework you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperiorGenius)
    Those subjects are weak, pointless, easy and embarrassing. Enjoy your easy 5 As, you don't need advice.
    ^wholeheartedly ignore this.

i'm in year 12 right now too and all i can say is, work ****ing hard!! keep on top of your work, revise it when you get home, ask ask ask teachers until you fully understand a concept (need to do this a lot myself as i'm taking maths, further maths, physics and german eek) and don't leave things to the last minute! hard work WILL pay off for AS levels. i didn't work very hard for my gcses and didn't really get the results i wanted, but i'm fully motivated to do better this time round since it matters a considerably greater deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Those subjects are weak, pointless, easy and embarrassing. Enjoy your easy 5 As, you don't need advice"
    That's a lode of bull.
    I know for a fact that English Literature and History are greatly looked upon by universities.

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it, you're well on track to get good grades! I personally only did one sorta-essay subject (Media) amongst a sea of sciences.
    Generally, I found it helped if you stay on top of your coursework (try and get it in early if you can) as well as homework.
    Always push for feedback in essays and try and take it on board.
    If your teacher is lazy with marking, bug them every day until they get it back to you (media teacher: you need to bug me. I know you're good at that)
    You don't necessarily need to do past papers if you're good with essays, but make sure you're familiar with what they typically ask and how they ask it. Examiner Reports are also worth a read.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.