The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Postgraduate Applicants & Offer Holders (2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Lilaclouds
Yes, I got my offer just yesterday :biggrin: But I am still waiting to hear back from LSE. Is UCL your first choice?

Yes,first and only choice.congrats on the offer and goodluck with LSE. I guess you'll be sticking with LSE if you get an offer.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Yes, I got my offer just yesterday :biggrin: But I am still waiting to hear back from LSE. Is UCL your first choice?

How long does one have to wait after confirmation of payment before getting the link to portico as well as login details?
Original post by duduuu
Yes,first and only choice.congrats on the offer and goodluck with LSE. I guess you'll be sticking with LSE if you get an offer.

Thank you and yes I am sticking with LSE. I just got my offer a few days ago.
Reply 123

Wow!!! Congratulations! 😊☺

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DannyAbba
Wow!!! Congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 125

That's great...congrats. Guess you'll choose democracy and democratization stream of the comparative politics at lse?
Offer for IPP! Waiting on a couple of others but UCL is on pole position at the moment :smile:
offer for MSc economics! Thanks everyone for the information during this extremely nervous waiting period:smile: The midnight miracle is true if you see the status changes to " currently processed by admissions"! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
109 days after my application was completed, I finally received an unconditional offer for MSc Spatio-Temporal Analytics and Big Data Mining :biggrin:
Original post by franciscomejia
109 days after my application was completed, I finally received an unconditional offer for MSc Spatio-Temporal Analytics and Big Data Mining :biggrin:

That's ages! Congrats!
Original post by punctuation
That's ages! Congrats!

It was, indeed! Thanks :smile:
Original post by allos
This thread seems to be a lot less active than in other top UK institutions. As I am currently devastated by my situation, I would like to share it with you and see if anyone can give some advice/explanation.

I applied for the MSc Economics in late January and was rejected about 2 weeks later - in Mid February. I finished the top BSc (Hons) in Economics (4 year programme) in my home country and ranked 1st out of 105 graduates with a CGPA that is very rarely found as high from my Department. I had two very strong letters of recommendation (I had seen them). My GRE was 154V/166Q/4.5AWA which is 63rd/92nd/80th percentile respectively and my IELTS 8/9 overall. The GRE did not go as well as it usually went on practice exams as I had to get sick the day before and have to go through the process with annoying flu symptoms (of course, I did not mention this anywhere in my application). This flu could maybe cost me a scholarship in some Uni.

I did an internship to a research foundation, volunteered as a consultant in an action from my University that helped small businesses and also spent a semester in Amsterdam as an Erasmus Exchange Student, achieving top marks there also.

UCL is the programme I have applied to with the lowest minimum requirements. Especially in the GRE, requesting at least 150V/155Q/3AWA (45th/60th/38th percentile respectively). It also is one among those with the most available places.

So far so good. Although I was expecting to get in, I might have been rejected because you never know who applies. Still, I considered it weird.

What confuses me is that a few days ago a friend and colleague of mine got accepted. She applied a little later than me. She met the requirement of an upper second class very narrowly and ranked 20th out of 105 in the same graduation ceremony. She had two strong letters (although not as strong as mine - but let's assume they were equally strong. Btw, we have seen her letters too.). In the GRE, she got 150V/161Q/4AWA (45th/80th/56th percentile respectively). She also had an internship (not research though) and took part in the same programme that helped small Businesses. She didn't have Erasmus exp.

She is very bright, but we are now focusing on objective and relative measures here. A GPA/rank from same Department (with almost entirely the same courses - the differences were to my favor as I got some advanced courses that were on graduate level in the final year) and a GRE performance. Then there is the CV that is quite similar and the Personal Statement.

So, basically, I need to have a bad enough statement to make up for the fact that all the Professors in my Department scored me higher (much higher often and in a few cases equally - in the courses where she also got excellent grades). It also needs to be bad enough to make up for the GRE difference. I doubt mine could be this bad, or that hers could be this good. After all, we basically helped each other write our statements with feedback and we both know each others' statement.

So my question is; what the hell happened...? Anyone had a similar experience to share? Anyone has something to say that might be valuable? Any idea if there is anything I can do for my app to be reconsidered?

I have actually emailed the econ admissions for feedback (I am not mentioning my friend in the email of course) but I really really doubt I will get any feedback, let alone a reconsideration.

This was actually my top choice in the UK and one of the just two from top UK programmes that I can actually afford.

I feel cheated.

Any 2 cents appreciated.

My friend, there is no use moaning. What's the point? Nothing but bad, sour negative feelings. Just be happy and live in the present, the here and the now.

At the end of the game, both the king and pawn goes back in to the same box.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 132
anyone accepted into the MSc. Infections and Immunity program?
Reply 133
Has anyone applied for the MSc Spatial Planning and heard back at all?!
Original post by nycsh
Hi everyone,

I'm from the U.S., just got an offer for MSC Security Studies. Anyone else for this program?

Also, for those accepting UCL, where are you looking at housing? I would prefer to live in a house with other post-grads, not undergrads, but not sure UCL's housing distinguishes between the two.

Hey man (woman?)

Where are you from the US? I'm coming from NY. =), doing Public Policy so we'll be in the same department!
Reply 135
Original post by gnomgnomuch
Hey man (woman?)

Where are you from the US? I'm coming from NY. =), doing Public Policy so we'll be in the same department!

Hi - I'm coming from NYC as well! I'm a female haha.
Reply 136
57 days and counting....still have not heard anything from UCL.....:frown:
Just got an e-mail from UCL, buuuuut sadly it was just an issue processing my transcript so they asked me to resend it. At least they've started processing it though I guess?! :-)

I'm a student from the U.S. (currently living in Germany) and applied to UCL's MA in the History of Art about two weeks ago. It's a late application but I am hopeful! I graduated summa cum laude (top of my class) from my university and received a Fulbright scholarship to Germany in 2013/14. I'm interested in studying modern German art... Fingers crossed! :eek:
Reply 138
Original post by glu0n
57 days and counting....still have not heard anything from UCL.....:frown:

You should contact the admissions team, send an email or call them for prompt response.
I got an unconditional offer for MSc Global Governance and Ethics today after submitting an application 2.5weeks ago! woop woop! Anybody else on this course? :-D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending