Turn on thread page Beta

Is it hard to drive a performance car normally? watch

ReputationRep:
    I went from a 1.8 Corsa C (125 bhp)

I kept the car and put the 2.0T unit (Z20LET) from an Astra Couple Turbo, stage 1 remap took me to around 210bhp....

Wasn't any harder to drive, just control your foot, although thats hard when you have 210 bhp in a car weighing 1000kg!

ReputationRep:
    It's not hard at all, if anything they're easier to drive at normal speeds - what's difficult is not driving like an idiot, it can be really tempting to just go full throttle at any opportunity..

ReputationRep:
    I drove an e60 m5 today and an M6. They're very civilised cars unless you want to make them go fast (which they'll happily comply with)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntriguedUser)
    I went from a 1.8 Corsa C (125 bhp)

I kept the car and put the 2.0T unit (Z20LET) from an Astra Couple Turbo, stage 1 remap took me to around 210bhp....

Wasn't any harder to drive, just control your foot, although thats hard when you have 210 bhp in a car weighing 1000kg!
    Was that a bolt in swap?
    How did you overcome the engine management side of things? Astra ECU presumably?

ReputationRep:
    An M5 or even M3 are still "everyday cars" with engine is in front

No different to drive

Something like a 458, mid engine, over 500 bhp is tricky

I span a 458 first time I drove it, was only going 20-25mph

There was a wet patch on the road and back just went

So. Be VERY VERY observant when driving such cars

ReputationRep:
    Have previously driven an E60 M5, not difficult at all but very tempting to unleash its potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Was that a bolt in swap?
    How did you overcome the engine management side of things? Astra ECU presumably?
    Straight in, tight fit though, only mods needed were slight welding on the gearbox mounts, drive-shafts were from an Astra coupe turbo, ECU was a standard 1.2 Corsa, you can MAP then for the turbo unit, although the original was a 1.8 ECU which you can't MAP properly, means the wiring looms had to be swapped, lost cruise control too.

I didn't do much mechanical work, but was involved in majority of the steps and processes.

I no longer own it, upper radiator hose blew, which I believe was a result of over-heating as opposed to a worn hose. Radiator was cold, cooling slowly leaking, heaters gone cold... yepp heads gone lol

I now own a 1.4 Corsa C again, 90bhp, but I'm loving it. Next car will be a 1997-2000 Honda Prelude 2.2 vti. Preferably the H22A8 unit which has a higher flowing exhaust manifold, higher lift cams and a few other bits, if not the H22A5 will be fine, only 15 bhp down from the A8

People think I'm mad for wanting any car more than 5 years old, non-pistonheaders aye *sigh*

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.