Turn on thread page Beta

~| Why Do Ugly People Still Exist? |~ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Beauty is subjective. What you might find beautiful, attractive and/or sexy might not be what I find beautiful, attractive and/or sexy. Therefore, I could easily breed with someone who you deem ugly and create even more people who deem ugly. Therefore ugly people will continue to exist.

Plus lifestyle choices can influence the way you look. Smoking, for example, can have a great impact on your skin, teeth and voice. Meth is another drug that seriously ****s you up.
    Beaty is subjective to an extent.

I very much doubt anyone would honestly say, for example, that a morbidly obese bearded women is more beautiful than a fit and healthy beardless women. Likewise a slim/athletic man vs. a morbidly obese bloke with 90 facial piercings.

In terms of faces, there are clear trends in which facial features are most desirable, too.

ReputationRep:
    It's clear that OP is ugly himself. Let all that insecurity out mate. :console:

ReputationRep:
    Don't breed OP and problem = solved

ReputationRep:
    probably because of the complicated process it takes for a human to develop, there's a high chance things won't form perfectly despite how strong the genes are (everyone has imperfections, some are just more pronounced than others)

ReputationRep:
    also because some people actually have conscious thought and so they realise there's more to life than looking pretty

ReputationRep:
    Ugly people can make good looking babies. And vice versa. This is just dumb.

ReputationRep:
    Because attraction is subjective and not purely about physical attributes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Because beautiful women marry rich men.
    Thats why a disproportionate number of middle class children are tall, slim and good looking.
    Because beautiful women dont marry working class men in the same numbers a disproportionate number of working class children are short, fat and ugly.
    Working class breed at a higher rate than middleclass so the ugly will always be with us.
    But thats ok because they are the salt of the earth.
    ������
    There is a never ending supply of them, just check out Jerrmy Kyle. Whenever they run out of guests they just go down to Argos with a great big net.
    Jeremy Kyle is constantly shouting to his guests to "get a job". How can they be the working class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geneticist)
    we are not peas or beans!
    Speak for yourself.

J/K; actually, you made the point I was going to make before I could make it. I'd +1 it but I'm all out for today. Consider yourself appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    ugly people breed with each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    1) Makeup, plastic surgery

2) Go back maybe, 500 years. People were ALOT uglier back then, we've made progress.

3) The ideal standard of attractiveness and beauty in society is always changing. It changes much faster than evolutionary biology can keep up with.
    curious. what evidence do you have to support this? 500 years ago people looked much the same as we do today. 1 million years ago, maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dictator)
    Why haven't their impure genes been bred out of society? Why are they still in in biological existence????

The logic of the human race is that the attractive will breed together whilst the unattractive die out. So why are there still ugly people walking about? Why aren't they DEAD, EXTINCT?
    Genetics are not that important at all.

Nutrition is the biggest factor, especially fat soluble vitamins like vitamin D for development

Look. twins. one has normal facial development. the other doesn't. Diet was the main cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Genetics are not that important at all.

Nutrition is the biggest factor, espeically fat soluble vitamins like vitamin D for development

Look. twins. one has normal facial development. the other doesn't. Diet was the main cause.

i see nothing wrong with the second man's face apart from his teeth. face looks normal.

ReputationRep:
    Why haven't their impure genes been bred out of society? Why are they still in in biological existence????

The logic of the human race is that the attractive will breed together whilst the unattractive die out. So why are there still ugly people walking about? Why aren't they DEAD, EXTINCT?

Very good question indeed....

My best guess is that the evolutionary theory doesn't explain everything...otherwise idiotic people wouldn't exist either,... but we still have stupid faces asking on forums why ugly people exist.

ReputationRep:
    Ive seen ugly couples with beautiful children and beautiful couples with ugly children. It all matters about how your own genes would mix with your partners.

ReputationRep:
    :lol: what is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyRe-play)
    It's clear that OP is ugly himself. Let all that insecurity out mate. :console:
    Lmao was thinking the same haha :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IqraHaq)
    Lmao was thinking the same haha :laugh:
    Haha its obvious :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyRe-play)
    Haha its obvious :laugh:
    I know :lol: poor OP :lol:

ReputationRep:

The reason is simple. You are right that we evolve to become more attractive over time, there is no doubt about that. But we also evolve to be more selective about who we find attractive. The ugliest people around today were probably among some of the most attractive people 10,000 years ago, but since then we have become evolved to become more attractive and our tastes have evolved along with our aesthetics so that we can continue to become more and more beautiful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2014
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.