x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by emily_9898)
    At the minute I'm deciding on what A level courses to take. I'm thinking of taking Biology (OCR), Chemistry (OCR) and English Language (WJEC), however I can't decide on a fourth option. After A level I'm considering going in to dentistry or maybe something similar/medical.
    What experiences have you had taking these courses and have you taken them together?
    Also, would you recommend staying at the school sixth form or going to the local college?
    thanks in advance
    Moved to the A-level section for you.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do optometry and am planning to do: biology, chemistry, English literature and geography
    When are you starting to apply for colleges? through UCAS Progress?

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to do something medical, surprisingly physics is a good one to look at - especially if you choose to go down the straight medicine route as many places won't accept you without it!

Physics would cover things like the inner workings of MRI machines, and with some courses you actually get an entire topic dedicated to 'Medical Physics'.

Plus believe me, it's WAY more interesting than GCSE physics!

ReputationRep:
    At the minute I'm deciding on what A level courses to take. I'm thinking of taking Biology (OCR), Chemistry (OCR) and English Language (WJEC), however I can't decide on a fourth option. After A level I'm considering going in to dentistry or maybe something similar/medical.
    What experiences have you had taking these courses and have you taken them together?
    Also, would you recommend staying at the school sixth form or going to the local college?
    thanks in advance
    School sixth form, because then you don't have to meet new people/ you can just stick with your old friends and you know the teachers really well. How're for a new experience I would suggest local college.

Also maybe maths for a 4th subject? Most people take that for med/dentistry courses also how come you're only just deciding what a levels to take, it's like way into September now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2en1)
    School sixth form, because then you don't have to meet new people/ you can just stick with your old friends and you know the teachers really well. How're for a new experience I would suggest local college.

Also maybe maths for a 4th subject? Most people take that for med/dentistry courses also how come you're only just deciding what a levels to take, it's like way into September now!
    Oh?! We should've thought of them earlier? I just made up my mind today!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maths? And I'd recommend English Literature over Language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2en1)

Yeah the school have advised that I stay at sixth form and the teachers there are really nice/helpful! And I'm deciding my options for September 2015 so I'm thinking ahead!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the school have advised that I stay at sixth form and the teachers there are really nice/helpful! And I'm deciding my options for September 2015 so I'm thinking ahead!
    Aah that makes sense now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STUDYREVISE)
    Oh?! We should've thought of them earlier? I just made up my mind today!
    Yep cuz my schools deadline for picking/changing subjects was 12th September lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2en1)
    Yep cuz my schools deadline for picking/changing subjects was 12th September lol
    Oh, our school has done nothing related to college/sixth form. Instead, I am going to apply through application and when we get our UCAS Progress logins, and probably reapply to the same colleges...
    How are you guys applying? UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    Maths or physics is a good bet (although physics without maths is not ideal, so maths is probably a better idea)
    But really, you've got three facilitating and the two main sciences, so your fourth doesn't matter all that much provided you're good at it.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.