Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm so i'm in my last year of secondary school and very soon I have to decide whether to go to my school sixth form or a separate college to study my A-levels. What are the pro's and cons for both? And which is the best in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Hmm so i'm in my last year of secondary school and very soon I have to decide whether to go to my school sixth form or a separate college to study my A-levels. What are the pro's and cons for both? And which is the best in your opinion?
    It depends too much on the individual sixth form/college to be able to compare them generally. As a rule, colleges are more relaxed and you have more freedom which can be a double-edged sword, but you should try and visit open days for the two you're interested in, because that will tell you more than anyone on TSR could.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Damask-)
    It depends too much on the individual sixth form/college to be able to compare them generally. As a rule, colleges are more relaxed and you have more freedom which can be a double-edged sword, but you should try and visit open days for the two you're interested in, because that will tell you more than anyone on TSR could.
    I agree completely, I found myself to be more independant and I knew that I get along with anyone so I chose college. I also knew that I could get the grades to go onto college, most of my friends stayed in 6 form but they told me it was because they were scared of a new change and they might get rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was in your position 2 years ago and I decided to go to college and I'm so glad. My school was good, but I chose college for many reasons. It made me more independent and I got to meet loads more people, which I believe to be a great step before university or the world of work.

Also, from what I've heard from my sixth form friends there's less freedom as some aren't allowed out during free periods. And they've said teachers prioritise year 11's work over theirs.

However - that might just be my school and I know people who've done well at sixth form and college. So really it's up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Where are the majority of your friends going to be?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It depends.
    They can both be as good as each other in different ways. It entirely depends on the individual school or college. Id recommend going to open days for the 6th forms/colleges you are interested in to see what they are like and see what you think of them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Where are the majority of your friends going to be?
    Where your friends are going isnt really a good way of choosing which to go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    It's an important factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adnan Januzaj)
    It shouldn't be
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Adnan Januzaj)
    There are a lot more important factors such as the course/courses you want, which 6th form/college suits you best etc. Your career choice can last for life, whereas quite a few friends come and go.
    You can make new friends at 6th form college if you dont go to the same place as your friends, as well as staying in touch with your old ones.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Having left my school to go to a large capacity sixth form college I would really have loved my old school to have an integrated sixth form. Sadly it didn't so I had to go elsewhere.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Joining a new place to study exams and not knowing anybody is a really hard thing to do, so erm, yeah it is.

ReputationRep:
    I was in your position not that long ago. I'm now in Year 13 and to be honest I regret not having the courage to leave school and go to college. The thing is I always knew it was a bad decision to stay and yet I still did it because it was the easiest thing for me. But it's entirely personal really, plenty of people at my school like the sixth form, I don't....for a variety of reasons but honestly not much to do with the sixth form environment itself. What I could say however is that it doesn't feel too different from year 11, but again this will vary with schools, perhaps try getting the perspective of sixth formers at your school?
    As for college...a few of my friends failed their AS Levels and are now in college, and they seem to enjoy it much more and they feel like there's a better environment and more independence. But this could go both ways, of course, more independence can be difficult!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Moved to Secondary School, Sixth Form and FE College

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.