Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to do optometry in the future and thinking of doing an EPQ to do with health care.
    Do I do it with college? how do I go about it?
    how many UCAS points is it worth?
    is it worth doing?

in my school people were only allowed to do it if they got at least 7 A's I think, it probably varies with each school, but if you think you can keep up with it while doing your other A-levels, ask your teachers or the relevant person about doing it (that is if your school does it), you seem to have a good reason for wanting to do it so they'll probably let you. I'm not sure how many UCAS points it's worth but I heard it's equivalent to an AS. I've seen a lot of people on here that do it and it seems as if it has been helpful for most, however it's not entirely important and you shouldn't let it make you fall behind on your A-levels

I did my EPQ on an area of Physics that the university I am about to go to researches and personally I believe it is what got me there. My A-Levels are Maths Economics and Physics of what I got ABB and an A* in EPQ, however my firm offer was AAA. Two weeks before results day I sent off my project to the admissions tutors and I can only assume they read it or part read my project and decided to let me in, they did also meet me at an interview but I believe for a Physics degree they were more concerned about my interest rather than personality. In addition to this it really helped my personal statement and as part of my project I visited a massive experiment which was a great deal of fun, so yes well worth doing!

I'm doing an EPQ! Mine is based around maths because I plan to do maths in uni *hopefully*
    But yeah I think it is worth it if you want to show you have more interest in the subject that whatever you write on your PS.
    It takes time but it's all good at the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the best type of cheese?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.