Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering going to look at the university of Sussex, but I was looking at the rankings and it doesn't seem to rank particularly highly.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew how employers look at Sussex and if it's seen as a reputable uni.

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is a prestigious uni to some extent with mediocre to high career prospects

ReputationRep:
    What other law universities are you applying for ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curseduse)
    What other law universities are you applying for ?
    Warwick, Durham, Lancaster, Kent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah697)
    Warwick, Durham, Lancaster, Kent
    Durham is the best out of your list and then Warwick.

Sussex isn't a bad university but it isn't as prestigious as the two I mentioned.

If you really want to go to Sussex and you have the grades for Durham (A*AA) then choosing Sussex is fine because when applying to law firms/chambers (assuming you want to be a lawyer) they will see you could have gone to a 'better' university but chose to not go, as they can see your A Level results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Di Doo)
    Durham is the best out of your list and then Warwick.

Sussex isn't a bad university but it isn't as prestigious as the two I mentioned.

If you really want to go to Sussex and you have the grades for Durham (A*AA) then choosing Sussex is fine because when applying to law firms/chambers (assuming you want to be a lawyer) they will see you could have gone to a 'better' university but chose to not go, as they can see your A Level results.
    Ah thanks for that, I didn't think about the fact they can see A level results!
    Would Lancaster be seen as prestigious/well regarded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah697)
    Ah thanks for that, I didn't think about the fact they can see A level results!
    Would Lancaster be seen as prestigious/well regarded?
    I really couldn't say. I haven't done much research on Lancaster but I have heard some good things about it though

Maybe this will help:
    http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net...university.pdf

Just remember that prestige isn't everything. A lot of the times people from certain universities are recruited a lot more because there are A Level cut off points (usually AAB). People getting higher than AAB usually go to a 'prestigious' Russel Group university so people from other universities are automatically filtered out.

As long as you get a high 2:1, very good A Levels and LOTS of relevant ECs and work experience then you will be fine.
    You'll also need good interview skills.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.