Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's only been the second day of classes and I'm feeling overwhelmed already. I just don't know anything and can just about follow whats going on in classes. I am so scared that my course will be too difficult for me and that I will fail. Someone help me. This fear has meant that I haven't been enjoying anything and I feel miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry it's meant to be challenging at first because it's such a big difference to a level and the lecturers know you will need time to adjust. There's usually a support centre in the department ora personal tutor on your course you can turn to x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by rubyxxx)
    It's only been the second day of classes and I'm feeling overwhelmed already. I just don't know anything and can just about follow whats going on in classes. I am so scared that my course will be too difficult for me and that I will fail. Someone help me. This fear has meant that I haven't been enjoying anything and I feel miserable.
    Hey - what subject are you studying?

Don't worry - it's natural to feel overwhelmed at first! Just concentrate on taking notes in lectures and getting through your readings. Your course won't be too difficult for you. :hugs: Lectures are also really fast paced so don't worry if you can't follow. Really the bulk of your learning has to come from you and your own research.

It takes a little bit of time to get used to how it all works - I didn't really figure it out until about halfway through the second year. Then something clicked and then it was a breeze (still a lot of hard work, but at least I knew what I was doing!).

Just try to relax and enjoy yourself. If you're really struggling go and speak to your lecturers. They'll generally have regular office hours when they'll be more than happy to talk things over with you. That's what they're there for, so make use of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hey - what subject are you studying?

Don't worry - it's natural to feel overwhelmed at first! Just concentrate on taking notes in lectures and getting through your readings. Your course won't be too difficult for you. :hugs: Lectures are also really fast paced so don't worry if you can't follow. Really the bulk of your learning has to come from you and your own research.

It takes a little bit of time to get used to how it all works - I didn't really figure it out until about halfway through the second year. Then something clicked and then it was a breeze (still a lot of hard work, but at least I knew what I was doing!).

Just try to relax and enjoy yourself. If you're really struggling go and speak to your lecturers. They'll generally have regular office hours when they'll be more than happy to talk things over with you. That's what they're there for, so make use of it!
    Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm feeling much better today and all the work seems a lot more manageable and doable. It just seems like all my flatmates are all hanging out in the kitchen having fun and I'm there just worrying about how difficult the work is. I'm doing mechanical engineering.

I just want to get a good work-social life balance. I think I need to give myself time to settle into a good routine. But I'm feeling much more positive today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misscherie)
    Don't worry it's meant to be challenging at first because it's such a big difference to a level and the lecturers know you will need time to adjust. There's usually a support centre in the department ora personal tutor on your course you can turn to x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I met my personal tutor the other day. But I was never really told what their role was. If I struggle academically do they help?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm feeling much better today and all the work seems a lot more manageable and doable. It just seems like all my flatmates are all hanging out in the kitchen having fun and I'm there just worrying about how difficult the work is. I'm doing mechanical engineering.

I just want to get a good work-social life balance. I think I need to give myself time to settle into a good routine. But I'm feeling much more positive today.
    Good to hear you're feeling more positive.

My reply about readings etc. might not be so relevant for mechanical engineering. :zomg:

Everyone else is worrying too, trust me. It will become better once you're more settled in and you have a routine. Make sure you go out and have fun too. Maybe you could organise some study groups together with other people on your course so you can bounce ideas off each other and help each other out?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I met my personal tutor the other day. But I was never really told what their role was. If I struggle academically do they help?
    Well yes mine is part of my department so I'm sure they can provide some academic support

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.