Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Reading a univeristy with a large amount of private school students, and if so, is there a certain halls that they normally go into?
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgeparkinson)
    Is Reading a univeristy with a large amount of private school students, and if so, is there a certain halls that they normally go into?
    thank you
    From The Sunday Times University Guide 2015:

Social mix
    EU students: 4.7%
    Other overseas students: 10.4%
    Mature: 7.9%
    State school educated: 84.9%
    Middle class/working class: 76.7%/23.3%

ReputationRep:
    Wantage hall is full of posh people.

ReputationRep:
    I was the only state school/working class background student in my kitchen during my first year.. so I would say yes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh great! Just seen this and am now really worried!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am a Reading applicant for 2015 and without wanting to attract hate I currently go to a private school and have done so all my life. I don't think whether a university has a high proportion of ex private school students should really be a problem. Many people have a misconceived idea of what 'posh' students are like, I say 'posh' because very few of use are actually whatt most people would describe as posh. Eton is a very bad example of what UK private schools are actually like, in reality they are not that different to state schools. It is also worth remembering that not everyone who has been to private schools are multi millionaires, many private students are there on large scholarships or bursaries, and many parents also choose to spend the majority of their income on their child's education rather than on cars or holidays. Finally very few private school students have anything against state school pupils and many have been through the state system themselves, sure you do get a few who think anyone with less money than them should be marched in to the street and shot, but in general people with those ideas wouldn't achieve the grades to get in to any university. If anyone wants to talk about this in more detail please send me a message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darbylad)
    Hi
    I am a Reading applicant for 2015 and without wanting to attract hate I currently go to a private school and have done so all my life. I don't think whether a university has a high proportion of ex private school students should really be a problem. Many people have a misconceived idea of what 'posh' students are like, I say 'posh' because very few of use are actually whatt most people would describe as posh. Eton is a very bad example of what UK private schools are actually like, in reality they are not that different to state schools. It is also worth remembering that not everyone who has been to private schools are multi millionaires, many private students are there on large scholarships or bursaries, and many parents also choose to spend the majority of their income on their child's education rather than on cars or holidays. Finally very few private school students have anything against state school pupils and many have been through the state system themselves, sure you do get a few who think anyone with less money than them should be marched in to the street and shot, but in general people with those ideas wouldn't achieve the grades to get in to any university. If anyone wants to talk about this in more detail please send me a message.
    I too went to a small local private school for various reasons eg smaller classes didn't get into the local good state school and the other one was crap. And I hated it there the whole place was full of snobby kids with a huge sense of entitlement many of whom genuinely that rich people were genetically better than poor people. So really not keen to repeat the whole experience at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna1437)
    I too went to a small local private school for various reasons eg smaller classes didn't get into the local good state school and the other one was crap. And I hated it there the whole place was full of snobby kids with a huge sense of entitlement many of whom genuinely that rich people were genetically better than poor people. So really not keen to repeat the whole experience at university.
    Since 85% of students at Reading (according to the Sunday Times University Guide, as above) are from state schools I really don't think you need to worry. From what I have seen of Reading there's a great mix of all types of people there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2015

University open days

1. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.