Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently living in a house with three other girls, personally i think i'm getting along with my housemate but there is just a few things that are bugging me.

I am not usually a overly clean/ perfectionist type but since moving into our private shared accommodation I've been clean because i respect and understand that this isn't my house and that i'm renting it whilst i study. Also £500 was paid in deposit fees which i would hope to get back once my tenancy agreement is over.

The first problem is that two of my housemates are pigs and leave their dirty plates and washing, often from the previous days/nights all over the lounge and kitchen area which has caused my other housemate and myself to be disgusted to be in the kitchen/lounge and even harder to cook and to watch TV in the communal area. We did start by asking them to clean up once they've eaten but nothing happened and we even started cleaning up after after them but soon realized that this was a relentless task.

The second problem is the same two girls like to have parties until 3-4 in the morning, with loud music and chatting. I have often left my bedroom to find 6-8 men in our home that i have never met before and have had my door banged upon and kicked which can be very frightening but luckily i am able to lock myself into my room. Sure i like to party and have fun myself but i understand that respect for my other housemates can go along way, I'm finding it very hard when i have to wake up at 7 to get off to my morning lectures after a sleepless night.

I can only put up with this for so long. It has already started a small divide in the house because my other housemate and myself are now feeling safer in our rooms than spending time with the two girls.

I really do want to build some form of a relationship with them but feel lost with what to do about their lack of respect. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do?

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to nominate one of you to sit down with the girls and basically say shape up or ship out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You might want to speak to both these girls and probably set some ground rules which can make living together more easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wake her up every day at 4 am and see what she does then..

ReputationRep:
    can you have a 'flat meeting'? try and make it friendly, all order a pizza and get some films or something so it doesn't feel like you've brought them in for a telling off and then see if you can find rules which compromise e.g. rather than them not having parties they can have them on weekends or be noisy until 1am maximum, rather than them clearing up straight away they do everything the day it has been used at some point

if they don't listen start waking them up at 7am when you get up so they get tired too and leave all their dirty dishes in a pile in their room, you could also complain to your landlord about all the strangers being invited back

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2014
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.