Turn on thread page Beta

How to get student discount on Apple Mac book watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to buy Apple laptop and I have budget of £1700. I am studying maths so I need it for research, maple, matlab, & finance related assignments.
    I have following questions:
    1) should I buy Mac book pro or Mac book air? (Which one is better in terms of speed, durability, & less weight + has flash storage space)

2) I am full time student so am I entitled to some discount if yes then how much is it ? And how can I claim that? (Do I need to provide a letter from my uni at store which confirms I am full time student)?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universal_set)
    Hi,
    I want to buy Apple laptop and I have budget of £1700. I am studying maths so I need it for research, maple, matlab, & finance related assignments.
    1) should I buy Mac book pro or Mac book air? (Which one is better in terms of speed, durability, & less weight + has flash storage space)

2) I am full time student so am I entitled to some discount if yes then how much is it ? And how can I claim that? (Do I need to provide a letter from my uni at store which confirms I am full time student)?

Thanks in advance.
    1. Both the retina Pro and Air have flash storage and similar weight. The Pro has a much better screen and a better processor, up to you whether you want to pay more for these features.

2. Either order it through your universitiy's computer network-visit the Apple Store for education through a computer on campus, or take something confirming you student status (letter or card etc) to an Apple Store.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    About 15% can access via university internet, showing some proof at the store or via Unidays(verified via university email).

Power wise Pro > Air, Air is great for portability, battery life, etc
    But more serious stuff, ideally its better on the Pro, though the SSD helps on the Air, but lack of storage is a issue,

ReputationRep:
    Buy the Pro, it's not as light as the Air but it's a powerful machine!!

If you buy it online, buy it through your university's portal/internet. If you're going to the store, produce your student card and they'll scan it and give you the discount then and there.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    That is a big budget for a laptop

Here's the pricing list with the education discount http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_500062...ac/macbook-pro

To buy one with discount you can go into an Apple store and show your student card.
    or go onto the education store online via the uni campus internet.

Get the Pro. You can afford the 15 inch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    That is a big budget for a laptop

Here's the pricing list with the education discount http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_500062...ac/macbook-pro

To buy one with discount you can go into an Apple store and show your student card.
    or go onto the education store online via the uni campus internet.

Get the Pro. You can afford the 15 inch.
    Thanks for the reply.

You seem like an expert of Mac. Can you please tell me that what is the main purpose of nifty minidrive? I have googled and what I have I understood it is like an extra storage space for mac (the way we backup our data on external hdd or usb flash drive). Can I use it as a backup storage device and keep it in the laptop every time? Let's say, I save a word/pdf/maple etc file in my document folder on my mac and then is there any way that automatically the computer will save a copy of it on nifty minidrive? Sorry if my questions are stupid. I will really appreciate if anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    The Pro is a full desktop replacement. It's a beast. The education discount also includes 3 years free Apple care (worth £150+ afaik).

The main reason to get a pro is screen quality (I consider the Air rather mediocre in this department) and better processor and graphics. The styling is pretty cool with the black border around the screen too. The Air feels a lot lighter and more svelte but the big fat bezels make it feel outdated. It doesn't look like a modern machine imo, but it is most definitely more portable.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.