Turn on thread page Beta

Prince George's education - Eton, Cambridge, Sandhurst.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    No, they had real entrance exams for which you could almost exclusively prepare yourself at public schools, they were not exams only taken in addition to A Levels, but after A Levels, sometimes after another year of preperation. Furthermore you had public schools who were guranteed a certain number of places at some colleges and offers who were only EE for candidates, you absolutely wanted. His education also gave Charles the possibility of extracurricular activities, like his trip to Papua Neuginea, which could have also helped him to have something to talk about in his admission interview.

This might also be interesting in that context:

Source: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=733109&page=2
    Fair enough, so did he? With A-Levels of BC and a private education I'm not entirely sure that he did. If he could prepare for those so efficiently, how could he not get at least AA?

ReputationRep:
    He won't go to Eton

He'll go to one of the "other" schools which the general public doesn't associate with privilege, so the BBC can bombard you with the idea that he's just a normal guy, in the same way Harry was apparently just another soldier.

I've never believed in any kind of upper limit to wages or the idea that those who are very wealthy (top footballers for example) should almost spend their lives apologising to society, but the rules just aren't the same for the Royals and this has never sat well with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I don't have knowledge of how Cambridge admissions worked when he applied, so I don't know. As Nathanielle says though, I do think it worked differently back then - you sat special Cambridge entrance exams (I think).

Ed Miliband got into Oxford with AABB. (I'm sure there are plenty of others, he was the first one I checked.) David Miliband got into Oxford with BBBD. Both of these cases were much more recent that Prince Charles.

Well I sat A Levels reasonably recently, and am quite happy to concede that grade inflation has happened. If people want to deny reality to make themselves feel more intelligent, then that's up to them.

Again, it's quite possible his admission was unfair. I don't know.
    All of these people had the benefit of private educations and good connections, I have yet to meet an 'ordinary' ex Oxonian or Cambridgian with those sorts of grades. Yes grade inflation might have taken place but that doesn't mean BBBD translates to AAA / A*AA in today's exams. You can't make any meaningful statistical comparison because of the nationwide improvement in teaching standards and the increased number of students actually sitting exams. I don't deny it's existence, I just think that claiming that people with A*AA are as qualified as people with BBBD is not fair on those who hold exceptional results.

ReputationRep:
    When William applied, AAA was the exception. (Own experience, as I am a bit older and still know the days when ABB or BBB was sufficient.)
    He didn't go to uni that long ago. ABC is still pretty average for Scotland's foremost educational institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    Fair enough, so did he? With A-Levels of BC and a private education I'm not entirely sure that he did. If he could prepare for those so efficiently, how could he not get at least AA?
    We don't know, just that he fulfilled the basic requirements. And from what I have heard, the entrance exam was back then a route, which was often chosen to get admission. So when multiple other applicants chose that entry route, why not Charles? When you know, entrance exam will be the key, you prepare yourself entirely different.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't go to uni that long ago. ABC is still pretty average for Scotland's foremost educational institution.
    Ahem, I am younger than William.

ReputationRep:
    Ahem, I am younger than William.
    Good for you? William still got a C, BBB is technically higher than ABC.

ReputationRep:
    How would BC ever warrant entry to Cambridge?? BC would never translate into A*AA today, it just wouldn't happen. I don't even know how you can think that... You cannot deny that accepting Prince Charles was a coup, give me an example of someone 'normal' getting into Oxford or Cambridge with anything less than AAA. It's just too much of a coincidence to deny the relationship between Prince Charles' status and his entry into Cambridge, despite his A-Level grades.

And that grade inflation argument is really tiring, it minimises the achievements of current A-Level students. Indeed Cambridge look for C.90% UMS when they admit students, I doubt that would have been BC back in the day.
    If we define grade inflation as '% of As rising from circa 5% to circa 25%' then grade inflation has indeed occurred.

Irrespective of whether or not that is entirely down to pupils getting better (which I don't personally believe, nor does anyone who has compared exams from previous eras to now), it is clear that an A or a B in the past put students in a far higher percentile of achievement than an A or a B today.

This is not to say that Prince Charles' admittance was fair. I very much doubt it was, because the Oxbridge admissions system was far less rigorous decades ago. However I also very much doubt that a modern day Royal could gain entry to Oxbridge without achieving similar grades to the rest of their cohort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    I think he'll go to Westminster or somewhere not as fancy as Eton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With Papa having been to Eton, it's a good bet that young George's name is already down.

ReputationRep:
    George will hardly need endorsement of any school or uni to "get on" but rather the reverse is true as the Royal Family is a national brand. The stallion of the Ferrari or the golden arches of McDonald's for example.

Citing Charles' uni career as comparison to that of William and particularly what George may encounter is fairly meaningless as it was a whole different era. Far fewer people went to uni back then but then there wasn't the need to in order to get a decent job.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you? William still got a C, BBB is technically higher than ABC.
    It is not that uncommon, that a university will accept ABC instead of BBB, especially, when the C is in a subject not related to the course.

ReputationRep:
    It is not that uncommon, that a university will accept ABC instead of BBB, especially, when the C is in a subject not related to the course.
    I completely disagree, the offer is made on the basis of three A-Level grades, getting a C would count as a miss at almost every university UNLESS it operated on a tariff basis which I'm sure has never been St Andrews' policy. I don't understand how whenever it comes to the Royal family people always cite these exceptional circumstances which somehow justify their entry. ABC is average and doesn't fit the profile of universities such as St Andrews. ABC is less than BBB and yet you still maintain that he could have won his place fairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    If we define grade inflation as '% of As rising from circa 5% to circa 25%' then grade inflation has indeed occurred.

Irrespective of whether or not that is entirely down to pupils getting better (which I don't personally believe, nor does anyone who has compared exams from previous eras to now), it is clear that an A or a B in the past put students in a far higher percentile of achievement than an A or a B today.

This is not to say that Prince Charles' admittance was fair. I very much doubt it was, because the Oxbridge admissions system was far less rigorous decades ago. However I also very much doubt that a modern day Royal could gain entry to Oxbridge without achieving similar grades to the rest of their cohort.
    Yes, which is why we now have the A* grade.

I agree with your second point, I have yet to read a news article where a Royal has achieved high A-level grades that convincingly meet the requirements of such places as St Andrews and Cambridge. I'm not convinced that Charles would have gone to Cambridge if he was an ordinary member of the public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    Ha a TAB.
    Had to Google this. What's the Oxford equivalent of the word "Tab"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenalforlifee)
    Lord Prof The Rt Hon Greatest Genius Ever Lived, The Duke of Brideshead, GBE, KGB, ABC, BBC, KBE, OStJ, OStO, MA (Oxon), BCL (Oxon), DCL (Oxon).

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree, the offer is made on the basis of three A-Level grades, getting a C would count as a miss at almost every university UNLESS it operated on a tariff basis which I'm sure has never been St Andrews' policy. I don't understand how whenever it comes to the Royal family people always cite these exceptional circumstances which somehow justify their entry. ABC is average and doesn't fit the profile of universities such as St Andrews. ABC is less than BBB and yet you still maintain that he could have won his place fairly.
    You don't understand, that St. Andrews some years ago, what not exceptional at all? You want to believe, that William only got in, because he was a royal, not because he was as qualified as the others on the course. Part of the reason, why St. Andrews has such high entry requirements now, is probably, because Prince William got in and thus is known to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Lord Prof The Rt Hon Greatest Genius Ever Lived, The Duke of Brideshead, GBE, KGB, ABC, BBC, KBE, OStJ, OStO, MA (Oxon), BCL (Oxon), DCL (Oxon).
    Hahahaha! No, seriously?

I thought it was "Dark Blues," but apparently that's just the equivalent of Cambridge's "Light Blues."

ReputationRep:
    'Pleb' is the most common, though if you're being formal then 'Cretin' is the way to go.

(oxon, I believe)

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha! No, seriously?

I thought it was "Dark Blues," but apparently that's just the equivalent of Cambridge's "Light Blues."
    'The People Who Are A Lot Better Than Us'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    'Pleb' is the most common, though if you're being formal then 'Cretin' is the way to go.

(oxon, I believe)
    Cheers :lol:

"The People Who Are A Lot Better Than Us."
    Is that also how Cambridge students refer to themselves? :teehee:

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.