Turn on thread page Beta

Prince George's education - Eton, Cambridge, Sandhurst.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viceroy)
    Yes, we owe you thanks, as you were undoubtedly directly responsible...

And note that the VC was referring to sport...
    He didn't comment on the academics so there's no way of knowing his views, but he explicitly said Cambridge is not as good as Oxford in the only item he's commented on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    What's wrong with studying agriculture?
    Well, for one, it was a course created specifically for Prince William. Cambridge don't normally offer it. But also, it's not... shall we say, as rigorous as some other degrees out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    Prince William did a 10 weeks professional course. To be admitted you need money and usually at least a 2:1, some professional experience => WHICH HE HAS! Even if he would have applied for a Master degree, his 2:1 from his undergraduate would fulfill the basic requirements. As soon as it comes to postgraduate, no one looks at your A Levels. Your A Levels are not the be and all end.
    And some years ago St. Andrews had much lower entry requirements, so it was not unfair.
    I still hold to the view that, if Prince William and Charles had gone to normal/below average state schools, they would not have got into such good universities.
    If they hadn't been in the royal family they'd probably have ended up stacking shelves, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    As do people from middle-class and upper-class backgrounds. Prince William aside, everyone works hard to get into uni.
    Yep, sorry, that didn't sound like what I meant. :L
    But statistically, it does seem suspect that 40% of people at top universities are from private schools... when only 10% of the population (at most!) attends private school. So I was just making the point that people from upper class backgrounds have so many more advantages, help, support etc.

But I agree, royals aside, everyone does indeed work hard to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subjunctivehistorian)
    But statistically, it does seem suspect that 40% of people at top universities are from private schools... when only 10% of the population (at most!) attends private school. So I was just making the point that people from upper class backgrounds have so many more advantages, help, support etc.

But I agree, royals aside, everyone does indeed work hard to get in.
    BIB why is it suspect? Generally speaking higher academic achievers tend to earn higher incomes and so are more likely to feed offspring genetically predisposed to higher intelligence into the private education system.

That isn't to say that private schools don't on the whole have better facilities and so there will be a certain amount of added grade value too. Mind you Jeremy Clarkson who was himself privately educated and has privately educated his own kids did say that on the whole the private system was more of a "jam now" experience. That is to say kids in private school get more trips, interesting extracurriculars, nice facilities and so on. He found that down the line people who succeeded in life could quite easily have come from state ed backgrounds they just possessed the necessary drive (pardon the pun).

It is probably as well that George is educated amongst the future movers and shakers so as to make it easier for him to keep his finger on the pulse of the power in the country. He could probably keep in touch with the rest of society through things like scouting (something that Kate seems to be championing), sports and maybe further down the line the military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folion)
    BIB why is it suspect? Generally speaking higher academic achievers tend to earn higher incomes and so are more likely to feed offspring genetically predisposed to higher intelligence into the private education system.

That isn't to say that private schools don't on the whole have better facilities and so there will be a certain amount of added grade value too. Mind you Jeremy Clarkson who was himself privately educated and has privately educated his own kids did say that on the whole the private system was more of a "jam now" experience. That is to say kids in private school get more trips, interesting extracurriculars, nice facilities and so on. He found that down the line people who succeeded in life could quite easily have come from state ed backgrounds they just possessed the necessary drive (pardon the pun).

It is probably as well that George is educated amongst the future movers and shakers so as to make it easier for him to keep his finger on the pulse of the power in the country. He could probably keep in touch with the rest of society through things like scouting (something that Kate seems to be championing), sports and maybe further down the line the military.
    Partly agree. But then again, not all intelligent people are rich. I disagree with that. People can come by hard times. And being wealthy does not mean you can afford to pay £5000+ per term on your child's education. Many people fall in the middle bracket of not being eligible for a bursary, but not being able to afford the full fees.

And the question is, why does George have any influence over the 'pulse of power' anyway? But that's another argument..

ReputationRep:
    But statistically, it does seem suspect that 40% of people at top universities are from private schools... when only 10% of the population (at most!) attends private school.
    15% of pupils aged 17+ attend independent schools.

Moreover if you look at somewhere like Durham, 62% of its applications were from state school pupils, 63.9% of offers were to state school applicants. Now partly that is driven by grades that Durham requires, partly by a sub-Brideshead reputation that some may not find attractive, but it is also the courses they offer. For someone without family money or connections, a nursing degree at Teesside may economically be a better bet than a degree in classics from Durham which is by no means a licence to print money.

ReputationRep:
    Partly agree. But then again, not all intelligent people are rich. I disagree with that. People can come by hard times. And being wealthy does not mean you can afford to pay £5000+ per term on your child's education. Many people fall in the middle bracket of not being eligible for a bursary, but not being able to afford the full fees.

And the question is, why does George have any influence over the 'pulse of power' anyway? But that's another argument..
    Re the first point I was suggesting a tendency not a hard and fast rule for everyone. Of course you get a spread of academic achievement across all income brackets but in general terms the above averagely intelligent will gravitate towards better paid jobs. Their progeny will be predisposed to higher intelligence and so skew the figures for the privately educated.

Re the second point I wasn't suggesting that George should have some inappropriate influence over the powerful I rather meant that he would move in those circles (old boy/girl network if you like) and be aware of their views and what they are up to. Of course as future monarch it would be hoped he had some feedback from various sectors of society.

ReputationRep:
    I still hold to the view that, if Prince William and Charles had gone to normal/below average state schools, they would not have got into such good universities.
    If they hadn't been in the royal family they'd probably have ended up stacking shelves, to be honest.
    Well, that does not contradict my statement. That a school like Eton has much more possibilities to support a student than a state school with totally deillusioned teachers is true. On the other hand, you don't need to attend Oxbridge to not end up stacking shelves.

ReputationRep:
    He will get elite education that is out of the reach of most people in Britain, and he will get this regardless of his skill or intelligence. Both Willam and Harry did atrociously at school. Yet both were waved through the golden gates of educational advancement, because they were royals.

I can't help but feel sorry for the intelligent, working-class ethnic minority students that were passed over to give them their undeserved places. It will be no different with this George fellow.

ReputationRep:
    Well, for one, it was a course created specifically for Prince William. Cambridge don't normally offer it.
    Well then, no student positions of those apparently more deserving were taken up by Prince William.

But also, it's not... shall we say, as rigorous as some other degrees out there.
    How do you know this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dictator)
    He will get elite education that is out of the reach of most people in Britain, and he will get this regardless of his skill or intelligence. Both Willam and Harry did atrociously at school. Yet both were waved through the golden gates of educational advancement, because they were royals.

I can't help but feel sorry for the intelligent, working-class ethnic minority students that were passed over to give them their undeserved places. It will be no different with this George fellow.
    Atrociously? Did they get Fs? Es? *gasp* Ds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the dictator)
    he will get elite education that is out of the reach of most people in britain, and he will get this regardless of his skill or intelligence. Both willam and harry did atrociously at school. Yet both were waved through the golden gates of educational advancement, because they were royals.

I can't help but feel sorry for the intelligent, working-class ethnic minority students that were passed over to give them their undeserved places. It will be no different with this george fellow.
    this :d:d:d:d:d

ReputationRep:
    Prince William achieved grades which were commensurate with others at that time admitted to his St Andrews degree. Since his day, grades for St Andrews have risen, in part connected with his attendance.

Cambridge will put on an executive education programme for any employer willing to pay

http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/...om-programmes/

so although his Cambridge course was not publicly available, it was in principle no different that on offer to others.

Prince Harry is clearly no great shakes academically but appears to be a talented soldier. He won the Sword of Honour at Eton and was in the running for it at Sandhurst but was beaten by a girl from a state school. There have never been any muttering that these were achieved only through his royal status.

ReputationRep:

For a start Harry didn't go to university and William has probably done more for St. Andrews University than vice versa (just by being there). Also I think it rather unlikely that a "poor ethnic minority" student would be likely to choose that university and the course he originally started.

Realistically I think William's choices post school would have been pretty narrow. He'd have been told there were certain unis he couldn't go to for security reasons etc and certain courses he couldn't do because they weren't "suitable". I'd hazard a guess that George's options will be a bit wider, if he's bright enough, but not by much.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically I think William's choices post school would have been pretty narrow.
    The key thing that has been missing from the education of both William and Kate seems to be languages.

The Queen can deliver a speech written for her in flawless French, Prince Philip is bilingual in German (he has virtually no modern Greek apparently) and Charles has passable French and better Welsh.

Despite living in Anglesey for a couple of years, it doesn't look as though either William or Kate have any Welsh at all. If that is right, that is a serious failure on the part of their advisers. They cannot afford a John Redwood moment when they are Prince and Princess of Wales.

Moreover, I don;t think I have ever heard either of them speak a foreign language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The key thing that has been missing from the education of both William and Kate seems to be languages.

The Queen can deliver a speech written for her in flawless French, Prince Philip is bilingual in German (he has virtually no modern Greek apparently) and Charles has passable French and better Welsh.

Despite living in Anglesey for a couple of years, it doesn't look as though either William or Kate have any Welsh at all. If that is right, that is a serious failure on the part of their advisers. They cannot afford a John Redwood moment when they are Prince and Princess of Wales.

Moreover, I don;t think I have ever heard either of them speak a foreign language.
    William read a speech in French in an atrocious accent in Canada: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnnwh4mq_pI

ReputationRep:
    For a start Harry didn't go to university and William has probably done more for St. Andrews University than vice versa (just by being there). Also I think it rather unlikely that a "poor ethnic minority" student would be likely to choose that university and the course he originally started.

Realistically I think William's choices post school would have been pretty narrow. He'd have been told there were certain unis he couldn't go to for security reasons etc and certain courses he couldn't do because they weren't "suitable". I'd hazard a guess that George's options will be a bit wider, if he's bright enough, but not by much.
    He has certainly left his mark in the bomb-proofed part of St Salvator's Hall created specifically for him and his bodyguards. His bodyguards also got degrees out of the arrangement. His former flat on Hope Street has also become a Yah Mecca and has the highest rates in town, while no girl goes to St Andrews without being asked if they've 'found their prince yet'.

Fawning over Windsors for no good reason-is this what people are aspiring to now? Hopefully the institution will be scrapped by the time spoilt George gets anywhere near the throne.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.