Turn on thread page Beta

Re: Introvert first day at uni watch

Announcements

Well, I hadn't seen either of the two 1st year flat mates at all yesterday. I went to an induction day thing and struck up a conversation with some people next to me in the queue to get into the lecture hall, which went remarkably well - I think it helps that they don't know anything about you before, so in theory I could be the most extroverted person in the world.

But then when the talk was over I bolted out the hall and went round to a place outside where I couldn't be seen, to wait for the masses of people to go past. I just don't know what to do afterwards with these people because I'm scared they might think I'm too clingy if I stay with them. The two main people I was chatting with lived in the same halls of residence as I do, so that might have been a starting point maybe?

I'm going in about 45 mins to the place where all the societies have their stands. I'm rather dreading the idea of having to talk with so many people and also the fact that I will be walking around by myself, looking like a loner. But everyone says joining societies is the best thing to do, so that's what I'll do.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many introverts look forward to Fresher's week. Moving into a new environment and interacting with so many strangers can be overwhelming, and I'm the guy who gets anxious about Open Days. There's just SO MANY people I feel like I'm going to drown.

It sounds like you're doing well so far though, the best advice I could probably offer is to not worry too much about looking like a loner. Most, if not everyone, in there will be feeling the same to some extent. Perhaps find a fellow loner and together you can traverse the scary plains that is Fresher's.

ReputationRep:
    Fresher's fair everyone usually goes round on there own because not everyone in there friend group want to join the same societies.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.