Turn on thread page Beta

Is this normal? Had a caffeinated protein bar at 6PM then couldn't sleep watch

ReputationRep:
    Coming out of the gym last night, I passed the vending machine by its entrance, which is usually only full of chocolate bars (fancy putting that there of all places ). However yesterday it had been stocked with Maxilean protein bars. I sometimes have protein shakes from Holland and Barrett at home, but in this instance just went straight for the dark choc+mint Maxilean bar.

Somewhat to my dismay, I looked at its contents and it had 120mg of caffeine per bar-which is around a whole cup of coffee (correct me if I'm wrong?) This is a bit ****ty because I wanted an early night :/

Well since I was already eating it by the time I realised my mistake, I thought I'd go with the flow. For the first hour I had mild palpitations and felt my heart 'racing' while I went a bit more on edge even than usual lol. But after that I was mostly fine and watched Doctor Who quite mindfully, no real symptoms, I felt quite chilled

I then read some threads on TSR which triggered some intrusive thoughts and started compulsively threading ha…but I stopped at half 10 when the thread was taken down and I was in bed for half 11, hot shower and all. I thought half 11 would be a decent time to get to bed, and read my book until 12, but in practice I couldn't sleep,no matter how hard I tried, until half 2 :/ I had to read until I felt ready to pass out.

I woke up around the same time as my dad today (7), felt wrecked (exhausted), tried to go back to sleep drifting in-out, woke again about 9 and I felt worse than when I went to bed I am now awake but somewhat groggy and lethargic...

Is 120mg before teatime really that bad for your sleep? It should be noted that having an anxiety disorder and sleep trouble may, just a hunch, make me super hyper mega sensitive to caffeine. For most of the last few years I have tried to avoid coffee like the plague because an espresso I had at 4PM on a uni open day during A2s triggered one of the first and worst panic attacks I've ever had during the drive home.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need to ask....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Do you really need to ask....
    well yeah, some people drink coffee after a birthday meal at 10PM and are out like a light by 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    well yeah, some people drink coffee after a birthday meal at 10PM and are out like a light by 12
    Some people also don't suffer from anxiety and obsessive behaviour to the level that you do, don't read the labels on their food and let it drive them into a panic attack though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Some people also don't suffer from anxiety and obsessive behaviour to the level that you do, don't read the labels on their food and let it drive them into a panic attack though.
    Hi Moonkatt this is very true; I wouldn't say I had a panic attack just reading the label though. Definitely a little worry and then panicky for an hour, but I didn't have any significant problem until I couldn't sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riku)
    Hi Moonkatt this is very true; I wouldn't say I had a panic attack just reading the label though. Definitely a little worry and then panicky for an hour, but I didn't have any significant problem until I couldn't sleep
    Hi Riku.

Reading the label is what has triggered all this though. It's your mental health that's the issue here, not the caffeine. I'm sure deep down you know this as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Hi Riku.

Reading the label is what has triggered all this though. It's your mental health that's the issue here, not the caffeine. I'm sure deep down you know this as well.
    Considering the various studies on the effect of caffeine, especially on anxiety and sleep, I was on the fence-but yes I knew that my mental health would have a significant impact on how intensely I experienced it.

ReputationRep:
    It could definitely keep you awake. The half life of caffeine is about 5 hours...and that's a hefty amount of caffeine (usual filter/americano has around 70~80mg, a dose of pro plus is 100mg).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2014
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.