Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I already hold a BA and MA in arts based subjects. I have now started on an MSc course because I need to take this subject at degree level to be able to teach it in a secondary school (I want to teach this substantially more than the subjects I already hold degrees in).

This year is going to be about trying to get onto a pgce course as well as completing all of the taught modules on my course. I am also concerned about allowing myself time to look after my weight and I know this isn't always compatible with bashing out a dissertation.

On the one hand I would love to be able to do the full MSc because if I pushed for it I'm sure it's not impossible and it would be fantastic to achieve that and inevitably look more impressive to employers but on the other hand I have been advised that a PgDip could be enough for what I am looking to achieve and I have absolutely no desire to have a career in academia and feel that I've already proved myself academically via my other subjects.

I am a mature student whose been away from uni study for four years now and in doing a science subject straight at masters level I dont want to sell myself short by not aiming as high as I can but on the other hand im thinking that maybe not doing the dissertation would make things less hectic in terms of doing the taught modules and having more of a life balance. Hope im not thinking too short term here because I wouldnt want to regret doing the full MSc in the long run.

Thoughts/advice on this would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    I am also concerned about allowing myself time to look after my weight and I know this isn't always compatible with bashing out a dissertation.
    I need to be blunt - that's one of the limpest reasons for not attempting a diss that I've ever heard! Nobody's going to pin you to the sofa and force cream cakes down you. Even ten hour days will allow you time for a half hour run or an hour gym session at some point if you manage your day properly.

If anything, I lost weight during my Masters diss overall because I kept forgetting to eat. Time management is key. And if you have the self-control for a taught Masters, then you can control the urge to stuff junk food.

im thinking that maybe not doing the dissertation would make things less hectic in terms of doing the taught modules and having more of a life balance. Hope im not thinking too short term here because I wouldnt want to regret doing the full MSc in the long run.
    If you're doing it full-time, then the diss can take as little as four or five months. Scarcely the longest period of time for your life balance to go astray. As you know from your first Masters, they are generally incompatible with a balanced lifestyle anyway. They're just something you survive as best you can.

So yes, leaving the diss out is short-term thinking from my point of view.

However... if you just don't fancy the idea of the diss, you don't want to do it and you don't need it, then don't do it. At the mo, it just sounds like you're coming up with excuses. It's your second Masters. Not wanting to do a diss just because it doesn't appeal to you, is OK.

ReputationRep:
    Fair doos. Gotta say that some people eat more when studying and some people eat less. I'm someone who eats more and there's naff all I can do about that if I want to be awake enough to do my work well lol!

Still undecided. In the short term I'd rather have the summer off in the hope of starting teacher training next year and I know how much work you've gotta do for a dissertation.

In the long run I'd be gutted if I regretted not doing that little bit more to become an MSc because it could be done if I pushed for it, I'm just not sure if I want to yet.

So undecided. Maybe it's a damned if I do damned if I don't (I'm doing the pgdip bit because I need degree level study in a subject I want to teach. Might see how I get on with pgce applications to help me decide...see what they advise).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.