Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What social media do you use? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What social media do you use?
    Facebook
    81.67%
    Twitter
    45.00%
    Pinterest
    20.00%
    YouTube
    71.67%
    Instagram
    28.33%
    Snapchat
    31.67%
    LinkedIn
    23.33%
    Google+
    20.00%
    Tumblr
    26.67%
    Flickr
    1.67%
    Tinder
    1.67%
    Vine
    10.00%
    Other- please post
    15.00%

ReputationRep:
    This week is Social Media week so I was wondering...

- what social media do TSR users use the most?
    - why is this platform the best one?
    - Do you think social media is damaging to society?
    - If you could create your own social media site what would it be? (in a world where any technology is possible!)

My answers are:

- Facebook
    - All my friends use it
    - Yes in that people now meet up but keep their noses stuck to their phones
    - I would create a virtual social media site which involved avatars designed by the users speaking to each other and delivering messages for you. (so a crossover between gaming/social media)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Twitter
    Range of content and speed if it.
    Yes and no. Some stuff it helps whilst other stuff it makes worse. For example someone raising money for charity it helps... But then other things like nudes leaking..
    Everyone has google glass like things and there is a live stream of your life. Oh ermm actually that would be quite creepy. Not too sure. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I barely understand Facebook. Twitter, LinkedIn and the photo things are strange and foreign to me... Why do people want to share so much nonsense, and why do they imagine other people care? Before I post on Facebook, I imagine all of my friends I have on there in a big lecture theatre, with me at the front. If it were real, would I really say to them all what I am about to put as a status, and would I show them all a photo on the projector that I'm about to post? Often the answer is no...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

I use Facebook and Twitter.... also adore pinterest!

I share ideas / points of view on Twitter that I wouldn't choose to share on FB - I think they have very different purposes.

Traditionally I think facebook is great for friendly banter, sharing photos and keeping in touch with friends and family across the world.

I also like the page facility for building little communities or business pages.

I love that with Twitter you can talk to anyone - you have access to people and businesses that was entirely impossible before. I feel more free-spirited on Twitter - I use it to share "positive vibes" with the world and I like using it to promote other people's content that I think will be invaluable.

Facebook sometimes enables you to retain "friendships" that would have faded away along time ago.... I don't think this isn't particularly healthy.

There's also an element of attention seeking/ oversharing which sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable.... hey ho, we're all alot more open-minded than we used to be

I find that sometimes people are searching for their next "FB" status... which makes them very preoccupied and not "present".... they're missing out on life!

- If you could create your own social media site what would it be? (in a world where any technology is possible!)

Mmmm... not sure about this one, I'll have a think!

ReputationRep:
    I use Facebook, occasionally. Youtube, but for entertainment not social. LinkedIn, but for work not social. Have Twitter/Google+ but don't really use them at all

Is Tinder really social media? Thought it was online dating (or is that considered the same thing these days)? :confused:

I mainly use Facebook and YouTube (tho I'd hardly call YouTube a social media)
    The only reason I have a Facebook account would be to keep in touch with all my friends back home and all those I've met on my numerous cultural visits to different countries :P
    I suppose Social media has its pros and cons but it is a fact that the kids of the most associated names in technology and social media are forbidden from registering and/or just browsing it. Tbh, I find Social media rather stupefying...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Tumblr :crazy:
    It is just so... :ahee:
    Not that I know of. The same question could be asked about fast food. There isn't a problem as long as you control yourself
    An interactive version of Sims :drool:

(Original post by Queen Cersei)
    This week is Social Media week so I was wondering...

My answers are:

- Facebook
    - All my friends use it
    - Yes in that people now meet up but keep their noses stuck to their phones
    - I would create a virtual social media site which involved avatars designed by the users speaking to each other and delivering messages for you. (so a crossover between gaming/social media)
    Is it...?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Sounds like the over-hyped Second Life back in the day every university was desperately setting up their "virtual" campus :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have a Facebook account which I use for mostly chatting to people and for uni but it isn't often that I update my status or add pictures. I also use LinkedIn, Pinterest and Youtube but not as social media. I also have Google+ and Twitter accounts but I rarely use them.

None.

From that list, Facebook, Youtube, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Google+ and I have Twitter to follow things but not post on. :holmes:

I wouldn't say social media is damaging. Yes, there is a sense of self-absorption and a worrying trend in reliance on internet connected devices... but I don't see that people being well connected a bad thing. They can be used as platforms to engage with the every day person about important topics as well as being an outlet to being silly with friends. A lot of these sites allow anyone to have an audience but also allows media companies that already have a large audience to command an even larger one and reach out to those who would be otherwise disengaged from current affairs. Gives people a voice etc..

Despite all that though, I had no idea it was 'social media week'
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I do not understand how Google+ works.

I use facebook the most. Got friends all over the place and it lets me keep in touch with them in a way that feels inclusive of everyone. Makes me happy. Also I like seeing pictures of people's lunches. :yy:

I don't think social media is damaging to society, I think it's amazing. Obviously, sometimes bad things happen like the leaked photos, but overall I think it's a positive.

Just thinking about TSR for example - people can come here and get answers to their questions about applying, etc. which they wouldn't necessarily be able to get otherwise.

Knowledge is power, I guess? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    - Facebook
    - Idk, I guess it's just the one I've had for the longest and I've grown attached to it.
    - Sort of. I mean, I like that it allows me to speak to my relatives in different countries and to share photos with them, but I don't like the fact that a lot of the time people only put the good things in their lives online and I always end up comparing myself to other people and having unrealistic standards for my own life.
    - I can't think of a new social media idea, if anything I'd probably just revamp Facebook somehow

ReputationRep:
    X
    Hmm. I like bits and pieces of different things. I like facebook chat and the event functionality because I never know people's phone numbers, though rarely post myself except in groups I admin. I like youtube but not to watch friend's stuff. I like reddit for finding relatively interesting stuff without the clickbait you experience on other sites and I like TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Social media is for tools.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is the only one I use
    All my friends and family have it so it's easy to keep in touch/share photos and whatnot with them
    Not really
    Idk

ReputationRep:
    wats up

ReputationRep:
    I use Facebook the most.
    It is the best one because everyone else uses it, and you can chat, view photos, arrange events etc.
    No, I think social media is beneficial to society.

ReputationRep:
    I use Facebook a few times a day, don't always post to it but normally read through friends/families posts and like or comment on them or some of the groups I am in (political ones mainly )

Twitter is my second home lol, I tweet along to a ton of political shows as well as just general political tweets, sometimes personal tweets or tweeting along with sports I watch as well.

that's it really, don't really care much for any other social media, not really a photo taking person so many of those kind of sites would be of no interest to me anyway really.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.