Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi jergo
    Best thing to do is to contact the foundation studies department.
    You can call them on 01509 222 566 or email them at [email protected]

Hope this helps

Vicky
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by D123xo)
    When does acconmodation open for 1st years
    Hi D123xo

Accommodation opens in May. You'll get an e-mail from the accommodation centre with everything you need to know and what you need to do.

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Good luck with all your applications into Loughborough

Check out and join the link below - it provides UK university offer holders & applicants some great information on the lead up to freshers week!

So click 'JOIN' & make sure you share amongst your friends who are also going to uni this year!

facebook.com/events/742712939169549/

ReputationRep:
    I firmed loughborough in january.. When do I apply for accommodation
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by charan04)
    I firmed loughborough in january.. When do I apply for accommodation
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post53751147

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If I was to put Loughborough as my insurance, should I still apply for accommodation there before my results, rather than risk not getting the type of flat that would be best for me if I end up going there?

Please quote me when you reply so I get a notification!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Emily.97)
    If I was to put Loughborough as my insurance, should I still apply for accommodation there before my results, rather than risk not getting the type of flat that would be best for me if I end up going there?

Please quote me when you reply so I get a notification!
    Hi Emily.97

If you choose Loughborough as your insurance, you can't apply for accommodation. In the event you don't get in to your firm choice, you'll get an e-mail from our accommodation team. Although we can't guarantee you halls accommodation,
    we promise to help you secure University allocated accommodation either on campus or by referral to an off campus approved provider.

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure which number to ring, I am planning to add Materials Engineering through Extra but need to confirm that the university will accept my application before I do so. Do I ring the department or general admissions?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by drwhat)
    I'm not sure which number to ring, I am planning to add Materials Engineering through Extra but need to confirm that the university will accept my application before I do so. Do I ring the department or general admissions?
    Hi drwhat

You need to contact the department directly.
    The admissions tutor is called Simon Hogg and his number is 01509 223 332.
    If you can't get hold of him, it's worth trying the general enquiries line for the department on 01509 222527.

If you need any more info, let me know.
    Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi drwhat

You need to contact the department directly.
    The admissions tutor is called Simon Hogg and his number is 01509 223 332.
    If you can't get hold of him, it's worth trying the general enquiries line for the department on 01509 222527.

If you need any more info, let me know.
    Vicky
    Thank youuu! :-)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    You're welcome

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    Hi Vicky,

I have received an offer for Accounting and Financial Management but I haven't firmed it yet. I was wondering if I would be able to change my course; I have International Business in mind. How would I go about doing so?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For any current students- what are societies like? I'm inclined to take up dancing (particularly ballet) but don't really have experience and am worried that it'll be really competitive .

ReputationRep:
    This is some information for all prospective applicants. (I’ve shamelessly nicked Potally_Tissed thread for 2014 applicants as it was great )

It's also a thread where you can have a general chat and ask any questions you can't find the answer to.

The most common FAQs are answered in the drop downs below, so have a look there first.

There are a lot of answers on the University website too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need.

Before Applying

How to Apply

Applications for all undergraduate courses at Loughborough must be made online through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). This applies to all UK, EU and international students.

For entry in 2015, the application deadline is 15 January 2015. Applications received after this date will only be considered if places are still available.

Loughborough’s institution name is LBRO, and our institution code is L79.

Entry Requirements

We accept a very wide range of qualifications for entry to Loughborough.
    I’d advise you to check the details of the particular course you are interested in as most will specify which subjects are accepted and the grades required.
    A-levels
    You would normally have at least three full GCE A-Levels. General Studies is not normally accepted, although there are a few courses that do.
    GCSEs
    You would also need a Grade C minimum in English and Mathematics.
    Some courses require a minimum of Grade B in these subjects.
    Other Qualifications
    We also accept the following qualifications:
    · International Baccalaureate Diploma
    · SQA
    · Welsh Baccalaureate
    · Irish Highers
    · BTECs
    · Acces to HE Diploma
    · Advanced Diploma
    · Open University OpenPlus
    · Extended Project
    · European Baccalaureate
    · French Baccalaureate
    · German Abitur
    · Many other international qualifications
    English Language requirements
    All students also need to meet the University’s English language requirements. You can find the full details here.
    More Information
    You can find out everything you need to know in more detail on our general entrance requirements webpage.

International students

We welcome applications from International students and we currently have over 2,500 international students studying here. I’d advise you to check our English Language requirements especially if English is not your first language.

Mature students

If you’re 21 or over at the time your course starts you’ll be considered a mature student.
    You can find out more about studying here as a mature student, including the significant financial assistance that is available to you.

Deferred Entry

Each year a number of applicants decide to take a gap year and defer entry for 12 months. In most cases, the University encourages this, provided the year is spent pursuing worthwhile activities.

Fees and Finance

All courses (including Foundation Years) charge £9,000 a year.
    We’ve put together some information on the funding available to you including scholarships, bursaries and sponsorships which you might find helpful.

After Applying

How long does it take to reply

It’s difficult to answer this as there are so many different factors. However, we do reply to everyone, so it's a case of being patient and waiting for your response.

Interviews

Some courses hold interviews and some don’t, you’d need to check for your specific course. Just because you are invited for interview it doesn’t mean you are guaranteed an offer.

Visit Days

If you are based in the UK you’ll normally be invited to a visit day for your school/department. You’ll get to see your school/department facilities, speak to staff and students and be able to see the campus.

Rejected despite meeting the minimum entry requirements

You are still not guaranteed a place even if you meet the minimum requirements. A lot of our courses are highly competitive.

After Receiving an Offer

Replying to an offer

If you’re made an offer, you have to reply via UCAS Track. There are certain deadlines in place for doing this and these all depend on when UCAS receive your last decision.
    For more details about how it works, you can visit the UCAS Replying to your offer webpage which will tell you what everything means and what you need to do.

Accommodation

Here's a link to the accommodation thread that should answer most of your questions.

Results Day and Clearing

On results day, you’ll be informed of your results via UCAS Track. If you’ve been successful, you’ll also get an e-mail from us letting you know that you’ve got in.
    If you haven’t been successful for whatever reason, there is always the option of Clearing (or Adjustment if you’ve done much better than predicted). I can’t say what will be available for 2015 because at this stage we have no idea, but 2014 Clearing and Adjustment offered a lot of opportunities.

I hope all of this helps a bit towards answering some of your questions!

Vicky
    Hey Loughborough?

I want to apply for MEng Aerospace Engineering. how strict are you when it comes to applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.97)
    For any current students- what are societies like? I'm inclined to take up dancing (particularly ballet) but don't really have experience and am worried that it'll be really competitive .

The societies are great, and open to anyone, of any and all abilities, you'll find there run by enthusiastic friendly people

The main one is the dance society (Which includes ballet, http://loughboroughsport.com/au-dance ) I myself are not a member, can't dance to save my life, but have a look, and speak to the friendly guys at your freshers fair, you'll find all the information you are looking for

There are two other dance societies Street Dance ( http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/streetdance/ ) & Belly Dance ( http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/LSBDS/ )
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by fbrep2012)
    Hi Vicky,

I have received an offer for Accounting and Financial Management but I haven't firmed it yet. I was wondering if I would be able to change my course; I have International Business in mind. How would I go about doing so?

Thanks
    Hi fbrep2012
    You'd need to contact the Business School directly. If you speak to a lady called Charlotte Connor, she'll be able to help you out.

Her number is 01509 223393 or you can e-mail her [email protected]

Vicky
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by WhosWavey)
    Hey Loughborough?

I want to apply for MEng Aerospace Engineering. how strict are you when it comes to applications?
    Hi WhosWavey

Not sure what you mean by strict when it comes to applications? If you mean with predicted grades, you'd need to be very close to entry requirements with a view to improving them to get the necessary grades. They'd look at your whole application and if they can see potential, you may get an offer.

Sorry if this isn't what you're asking!
    Vicky

ReputationRep:
    Hi WhosWavey

Not sure what you mean by strict when it comes to applications? If you mean with predicted grades, you'd need to be very close to entry requirements with a view to improving them to get the necessary grades. They'd look at your whole application and if they can see potential, you may get an offer.

Sorry if this isn't what you're asking!
    Vicky
    Hi Vicky,

What things would the uni look to see if you have potential? Things like Work Experience? And how regularly does the uni tend to lower entry requirements?

Thanks for the help
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi WhosWavey

I think the best thing to do is to contact the department directly and have a chat with them. Yes work experience and the like do help, but they'd be able to give you more info.

Best person to talk to is Sue Rolland and you get her on 01509 227 272 or e-mail her at [email protected]

Hope this helps.
    Vicky

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 3, 2017

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.