Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to include for a biomedical science personal statement.

I Know to include the obvious being voluntary work and my interests for biochemistry but I hope to go on to post graduate medicine and I have already done doctor shadowing work experience

I was wondering if should include that work experience and what else to include ? Ideas would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamgcs95)
    Hi guys I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to include for a biomedical science personal statement.

I Know to include the obvious being voluntary work and my interests for biochemistry but I hope to go on to post graduate medicine and I have already done doctor shadowing work experience

I was wondering if should include that work experience and what else to include ? Ideas would be great.
    I'm about to start my first year of Biomedical science in a few days, and I can tell you that writing a ps for BMS is not as tough as it seems (depending where you apply also).
    You would need to state the important work experience, don't state every single thing you have done because then you'll PS will be boring and dull. You need to state the important work experience you have done that may help you when studying Biomedical science. Talk about any hobbies that aren't related to education. What do you like to do , for yourself? Can you speak more than 1 language? Why do you want to study biomedical science?

If you put that you're studying biomedical science as an entry route to medicine, then your PS is likely to get thrown into the bin, because this is very offensive to the Biomedical science instructors. You need to forget about medicine when writing a BMS statement.

When you have been accepted into a BMS degree course, then basically try to obtain a First honours degree throughout the years, and keep up with the work to prove you can do medicine. And well basically, you should have a chance at Postgrad medicine after obtaining a First.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you say why your volunteering/experience is relevant and explain what you did! Don't just list what you've done, that doesn't score good points

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamgcs95)

Hey Personal Statements are tough but there are certain things available to help you out with it. Have you looked at the Biomedical Science Personal Statements on the student rooms wiki? This will give you a good idea of what to include and how to structure it. Other things you could include in your personal statement would include:
    Any Extra Reading you have done - Have a look at the course content for each of your courses that you are applying for, then have a look for any books/articles related to those subjects, you don't want to talk about a book that you have read that isn't covered in your course contenT
    Your Current Subjects- Talk about the subjects that you have done in school/college and talk about why you enjoy them and what aspects/modules of your subject that you enjoyed or is of great interest to you.

Having things such as extra reading, which has been done outside of your course cirriculum will really make you seem interested and dedicated to your course of study so try to do some extra stuff as well. If you can attend some talks, get some work experience/lab work if possible

Alternatively, something else you should note, your personal statement, is just that, its personal lecturers also like to see what you have done in your spare time so talk about any hobbies that you have, it doesn't necessarily need to be related to your course of interest. This has probably been said above try to swing your medical experiences more towards the Biomedical Science side of things rather than the medical side. If you want any further advice UCAS has released a lot of personal statement advice on its facebook page to help you get started it might be worth taking a look at it
    Hope this helps.
    Good Luck

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.