Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Foundation year question please help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, unfortunately I had to leave my access to science course this week due to work strains. Someone told mw that you can access university doing a foundation year or year 0. I don't have any A levels only GCSEs, I'm classed as a mature student yet Ive had a look on UCAS and all I can see is that even the foundation years require A levels. Can anyone give me any advice or point me towards a website to check what courses I can get on.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I did this and it was really good but hard work.

I did the foundation year in applied sciences at Northumbria university. They usually ask for formal qualifications for this course but because I was a mature student they accepted me without the right qualifications because I had 'life experience'.
    You are entitled to a student loan too which helped with the financial side which would have been a problem if I had gone to college and studied an access course.

You only needed to get 40% in your foundation year to be guaranteed a place on the following degree at that university (although this depends on the university and the course you go on to do)

What degree would you like to go on and do?

Due to health reasons I took a year out after my year 0 and then started my science degree else where but most of my friends from the course went on to complete their science degree.
    There are also some science degrees that have a inter-calculated masters year which would also be covered by your student loan.

My best advice would be to call the unis that offer a year 0 and ask what (if any) qualifications you would need. highlight to them that you are a mature student and have life experience and ask if that would be an advantage in your application.

I would highly recommend a year 0. I learnt a lot and it made going into the first year of an undergraduate so much easier because you have already been at uni for a year so you know how to access information and write essays like the undergrad would be expected to do. There were also quite a few other mature students on my course which was nice as it wasn't all 18-19 year olds.

message me if you need any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Its given me a boost of confidence to know that someone has succeeded with this route of entering uni. I am hoping to do Environmental Health at university, Cardiff met offer a foundation year so that's my main choice. Salford and Liverpool JM also have foundation years for Natural science which I am interested in. The only big stumbling block now is my personal statement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StokeCityLee)
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Its given me a boost of confidence to know that someone has succeeded with this route of entering uni. I am hoping to do Environmental Health at university, Cardiff met offer a foundation year so that's my main choice. Salford and Liverpool JM also have foundation years for Natural science which I am interested in. The only big stumbling block now is my personal statement!
    Message me I might be able to help because I can kind of remeber what I put in mine.
    I'm on Nat Sci degree now I love it

ReputationRep:
    I have just started a foundation degree in Arts & Humanities to go on to hopefully do a history degree. I had only a handful of old GCSEs from many years ago which were so old they couldn't be taken into account. I was asked to sit Level 3 maths & English papers (only needed about 50% to pass) & was offered a place. Life experience & enthusiasm count for a lot. My class is mostly filled with people in their 20s and a couple of us are in our 40s. So far it's been great & I'm loving every minute. There is a huge amount of support for mature students and those doing foundation years (I'm at Leeds Uni).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys its really given me the confidence to apply and the hope that I may be given a shot

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.