Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for a variety of similar courses such as Journalism, Fashion journalism and Media and journalism. My main choice is fashion journalism so obviously made my personal statement very fashion orientated but will this effect my other choices? Or does showing that I know what direction I would like to go to and how determined I am make me a perfect candidate?

ReputationRep:
    I did something similar with applying to a mixture of geography and geography/economics courses. My recommendation would be to keep it more broadly journalism, and not make it too fashion orientated. By all means express your particular interest in this and talk a bit about it, especially any work experience/other experience, but I would try not to make it all fashion, otherwise the other courses which are more broad might be a bit reluctant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withlove)
    I'm applying for a variety of similar courses such as Journalism, Fashion journalism and Media and journalism. My main choice is fashion journalism so obviously made my personal statement very fashion orientated but will this effect my other choices? Or does showing that I know what direction I would like to go to and how determined I am make me a perfect candidate?
    There's no such thing as a perfect candidate :P Also, a lot of people change their minds about what they want to do over the course of their degree, so most universities aren't too interested in your future career plans.

I think it partly depends on how many universities you're applying to for each subject. If most of the courses are general journalism courses, then it might be a bit too much of a risk to have a statement which might make universities think you won't enjoy large chunks of the course. Alternatively, if 3 of the courses are fashion journalism, then a tightly focused statement is less of a risk.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.