Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I asked my form tutor to look over my personal statement and he said that I should talk more about what's unique about me (whatever that is :s)! I have talking more about what inspired me and I'm not that sure what to do.. Any suggestions appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    How could anybody possibly say from your OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    How could anybody possibly say from your OP?
    Well ultimately my question is whether it is ok to not talk about why I am the best but rather why I am interested and further reading etc I have done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel174)
    Well ultimately my question is whether it is ok to not talk about why I am the best but rather why I am interested and further reading etc I have done
    It's all about balance, you need to do both. Go post in the PS helper forum, nobody can give you any actual advice on this without viewing your PS - which I would not reccomend you post in a public forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel174)
    In general, admissions tutors don't like to see statements like "I feel I am suited to your course because..." or "I feel this shows I am an excellent candidate". It's up to admissions tutors to decide if you're suited to the course or a good candidate, not the student, and in some cases, coming across as too arrogant can get people's backs up, even subconsciously.

Your main focus should be on why you want to study the course, what interested you in the course, and demonstrating you have an academic interest in the subject. You need to show that you will be dedicated to studying just that subject for the next three years.

I think you're getting poor advice from your school unfortunately. Not every teacher is an expert on university admissions, whereas much of the advice online has been written by admissions tutors or recent applicants. You could have a look at the PS help tool, for example : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...statement_help. You could also try looking on the websites of unis you're looking to apply to. If they don't have much, the University of Bristol has some great guides as to what their admissions tutors are looking for in applicants for each course.

There's more than one way to write a successful personal statement, and don't feel you have to write in a way that you're not comfortable with, just because your teachers tell you to.

ReputationRep:
    I'll go and look over there, it's quite hard to try and explain what I mean without being extremely vague, thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just don't want to write in a way which sounds ridiculously egotistical and I do feel I'm being pushed to write that way a bit :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.