"Introducing Pure Mathematics" and "Further Pure Mathematics"?

Watch this thread
AsherA
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Removed.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I don't have all that much experience with the books you suggested but they were published in 2001, and maths was restructured in 2002. I personally believe it would be easier for you to find a more up-to-date revision guide, as well as trying to find the most current textbook for the exam board you'll be doing.

There are so many applied (option) modules (with OCR MEI there are 14 in total), that it'd be impractical to have them in one book. Mechanics and Statistics are the most common modules, but Decision is considered much easier and less "maths-y" than normal. If you're doing AS Maths and AS Further, you'll need to take three applied modules. You can choose to go with M1/S1/D1, or you can take a different combination such as M1/M2/S1 or S1/S2/S3 or D1/D2/S1, depending on what school you're attending.
JerzyDudek
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Haven't read those but I just want to say that I've read the OCR books for C1-4 (there is one book for 1 and 2 and another one for 3 and 4) and really liked them. I've also read a pure maths book from the 90s by the Cambridge press but I can't remember the author.

Didn't read anything for FM (good luck if you retain enough enthusiasm for that) but you should still be able to get an A* just by studying more or less.
JerzyDudek
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AsherA)
What do you think of the official OCR MEI textbooks?
I've read those ones which are not MEI I guess. I did Edexcel anyway but those books are really good at explaining concepts, not just preparing you to exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
28.99%
Take a gap year (22)
15.94%
Resit my exams (37)
26.81%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.04%
I don't know yet (15)
10.87%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.35%

Watched Threads