Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)

How does this even get in the air?

Gotta stop talking about planes now and actually go do some work.
    :facepalm: Cool picture...shame the aircraft is sporting the OLD livery...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)

the horrible smell of aviation fuel being burnt during takeoff.
    Epic photo - truly unbelievable. I can't believe you don't like the smell of Jet A1 fuel - it's beautiful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Additionally some glider clubs I looked at offered a fixed price to solo package, which looked a reasonably good deal (and easier to get your head around! It's something I'd like to do at some stage.

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Swings and roundabouts. If you are a slow learner and need lots of flights, it is a good option. If you want to get there in the shortest time and learn quickly, you may end up with a higher average cost by going down this route. Check with the club beforehand.
    There are two clubs near me but both seem quite expensive?

One has a £500 membership fee and the other charges £200 for a one day course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    There are two clubs near me but both seem quite expensive?

One has a £500 membership fee and the other charges £200 for a one day course?
    I've not done any gliding so I don't know what the going rate is, but check for cadet/junior memberships if you're eligible. You could also look into the Air Cadets/University Air Squadrons. You won't do private gliding for pennies, but as far as I'm aware it's pretty much the cheapest aviation going.

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually think this will happen? Apparently a new Concorde style business jet...it looks cool, but will it actually materialise into anything?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...REE-hours.html

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love this little fella. The nose and wing design are to die for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I absolutely love this little fella. The nose and wing design are to die for.
    As good as the A350XWB?....

Airbus any day!

ReputationRep:
    used to see this little fella going over school quite often when I was growing up...

Name:  superguppy.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  6.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    used to see this little fella going over school quite often when I was growing up...

Amazing - it's not called the Skylink anymore though ...Airbus have got 5 different "belugas"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeanlucpicard)
    Amazing - it's not called the Skylink anymore though ...Airbus have got 5 different "belugas"
    I was petty used to seeing ordinary shaped planes flying about, with the superguppy it seemed like it must have been designed by extraordinarily clever engineers.

I've seen the pictures of the new fleet and thought they're also clever they seem to have less personality imo.

ReputationRep:
    Boeing also fly a beluga-type aircraft too.

Hideous beasts they are. The only reason they fly is that the earth physically repels them.

ReputationRep:
    The A380 is staggeringly big, but surprisingly maneuverable so it seems.

The Atlas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opts)
    The A380 is staggeringly big, but surprisingly maneuverable so it seems.

The Atlas...
    The A400M is a beautiful aircraft. If you ever get the chance to go in one (even to have a look around), do it.

ReputationRep:
    The A400M is a beautiful aircraft. If you ever get the chance to go in one (even to have a look around), do it.
    I look forward to hopefully doing so one day, I saw it fly at Farnborough this year and it was immense.

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I love a Eurofighter just cos it's LOUD

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LL)
    I love a Eurofighter just cos it's LOUD

Could have picked one from a better air force though Haha, joking. It's a great aircraft. Never get tired of it's aesthetics as well as it's incredible manoeuvrability and engineering.

ReputationRep:
    As good as the A350XWB?....

Airbus any day!
    Airbuses are generally more elegant than Boeings imo: comparing the A320 to the 737, the latter looks like a shorter, fatter cousin.

But I reckon Boeing have done really well with the 787.

And I love A.net. AWESOME website.

ReputationRep:

Missing this one
    Attached Images

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.