Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do doctors still wear them or have they been banned completely?

ReputationRep:
    All gone in the UK as far as I know, though I hear some trusts are trying to introduce short-sleeved white coats/'uniform' scrubs etc. to help distinguish medical staff from non-medical/nursing/allied health staff.

ReputationRep:
    From all the NHS hospitals I've been to, they all say to be bare from the elbows down. =l
    Don't know the regulations but, it's what I've seen on the signs.

ReputationRep:
    Why have they been banned?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Arsenalforlifee)
    Infection control - the long sleeves. Ties have also seen a big decline, and I think are banned in some places.

ReputationRep:
    An infection control policy - 'bare below the elbows'. Dubious evidence, but something we've just got to put up with. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nh...bare-arms.html

However, having worn a white coat when on elective abroad, I can sort of see the rationale. They barely get cleaned, and are often covered in coffee/ink stains/bodily fluids and are quite scruffy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Infection control - the long sleeves. Ties have also seen a big decline, and I think are banned in some places.
    (Original post by visesh)
    An infection control policy - 'bare below the elbows'. Dubious evidence, but something we've just got to put up with.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nh...bare-arms.html

However, having worn a white coat when on elective abroad, I can sort of see the rationale. They barely get cleaned, and are often covered in coffee/ink stains/bodily fluids and are quite scruffy.

But they're so hnnng

So basically UK doctors aren't allowed to wear them at work at all now? Or is it just on the wards?

ReputationRep:
    Dr House never needed a white coat

ReputationRep:
    But they're so hnnng

So basically UK doctors aren't allowed to wear them at work at all now? Or is it just on the wards?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    You do know it is basically just a lab coat right?

Can you imagine having to get down a dirty as a doctor and potentially having blood and who knows what stains on your coat jacket from the previous patient before making their way to you?
    However, if it is bare below the elbow, some simple gloves will do and can be thrown away after.

EDIT:
    Grammar issues.

ReputationRep:
    But they're so hnnng

So basically UK doctors aren't allowed to wear them at work at all now? Or is it just on the wards?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    The only places I've seen them used is in non-clinical areas - the mortuary, pathology labs etc. I've never worn a white coat in the UK (clinical exposure from 2008), or seen one worn by a clinical-doctor.

EDIT: Despite the lack of real evidence, the Bare Below the Elbows thing has been drilled into me. I now can't bring myself to wear a watch or have my sleeves rolled down in the kitchen or doing DIY. It's more of a '****, I'll get my clothes/watch dirty' than a 'ZOMG MRSAAAAAA!!!!' feeling though.

ReputationRep:
    But but, the white coat is so cool! So does that mean SOME doctors can still wear lab coats and some not?

I wasn't aware the Doctor's ever worn a white coat? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Doctors and white coats have always been a thing. Type in "doctor" in google images and see how many images of people in lab coats there are.

(Original post by It's a Classic)
    Doctors and white coats have always been a thing. Type in "doctor" in google images and see how many images of people in lab coats there are.
    Nope, can't see any.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking? You typed in "the doctor". I said type in just doctor.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by It's a Classic)
    But but, the white coat is so cool! So does that mean SOME doctors can still wear lab coats and some not?
    Doctors that work in a lab, yes. But not on the wards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But they're so hnnng
    No they're not. They're lab coats. You're not working in a lab (except for those who obviously are).

What is hnnng is a nice, freshly pressed Westwood shirt.

Edit: Also this subforum isn't for applicant questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Perhaps you're too young to remember?

EDIT: Oh, lol. K.

Anyway, I find wards stuffy enough without having to wear an extra layer - leave it for the lab munkehs.

ReputationRep:
    One of the consultants in one of the wards I was in last year expected everyone to be in a white coat for his ward round. They had spares in the nurses room if you forgot to bring your lab coat with you

ReputationRep:
    I have worked in one trust (GSTT) where doctors were expected to wear white coats, but they are short-sleeved, and have DOCTOR in big red letters on the front, not the most stylish of items! I didn't have to wear them because I lived in scrubs, but it was part of the dress code that you had to wear them otherwise. You didn't have your own though, there were dispensing machines activated by your smart card, and you had to swipe them back into another machine at the end of the day for laundry. Consultants got their own with their name and specialty embroidered on them.

Nowhere else that I have been a student or doctor has required them, in fact in most places they were banned. Oddly, one of the last groups of doctors still wearing them on the wards at Addies was the Infectious Diseases team! I think they would be handy because of the pockets, but having never worn them I don't miss them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.