Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me a hand which this: I've worked it out but I keep getting – 668.8 kJmol-1 . I know this isn't the right answer but I can't work it out??

Process 3 Complete combustion of ethanol:
    CH3CH2OH + 3O2 ---> 2CO2 + 3H2O

A student carried out a simple laboratory experiment to measure the enthalpy change for Process 3. The student showed that the temperature of 200 g of water increased by 8.0°C when 0.46 g of pure ethanol was burned in air and the heat produced was used to warm the water.

Use these results to calculate the value, in kJ mol–1, obtained by the student for this enthalpy change. (The specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 JK–1 g–1)

Thank you Chemistry Lovelies!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The enthalpy change is (4.18JK-1g-1 * 200g * 8K) = -6688J. The number of moles in 0.46g of ethanol is 0.46/46 = 0.01 mol. So the enthalpy change is -6688J/0.01mol = -668.8kJmol-1. I think you're right.

The standard enthalpy of combustion for ethanol is -1370.7kJmol-1 and since a lot of heat would be lost in such an experiment, an answer of -668.8kJmol-1 sounds reasonable.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ghjohn)
    Can anyone give me a hand which this: I've worked it out but I keep getting – 668.8 kJmol-1 . I know this isn't the right answer but I can't work it out??

Process 3 Complete combustion of ethanol:
    CH3CH2OH + 3O2 ---> 2CO2 + 3H2O

A student carried out a simple laboratory experiment to measure the enthalpy change for Process 3. The student showed that the temperature of 200 g of water increased by 8.0°C when 0.46 g of pure ethanol was burned in air and the heat produced was used to warm the water.

Use these results to calculate the value, in kJ mol–1, obtained by the student for this enthalpy change. (The specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 JK–1 g–1)

Thank you Chemistry Lovelies!
    Yup, as the chlorine lover says "you are right!"

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys - I must be better at Chemistry than I thought! Knew you guys would help!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys - I must be better at Chemistry than I thought! Knew you guys would help!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ghjohn)
    ... you can say that again!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.