Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've just started at university on a physics degree and am having a bit of trouble adapting to how university works.

I am enjoying the lectures, made good friends, etc. but I cannot get to grips with the new style of learning.

The main issues I have are:
    • What am I supposed to do after a lecture?
    • Which books am I supposed to get?
    • How do I know that I've covered everything outside of the lecture as that seems to be what its all about (lectures give you basics but its your job to find out the rest)?
    • All articles I've looked at say, to get a first class degree you need to be constantly questioning things... I'm doing physics - this isn't really an opinions-based subjects?

I work best when I have a set routine to follow, however I'm not good at creating that routine. As soon as I hear people say, "I did some revision today" I instantly panic thinking that I'm falling behind etc.

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure that you're always picking off at reading!
    I wouldn't worry too much, at first, if first year isn't counted in overall grades. Just focus on trying to find your feet, will come eventually.

(Original post by x0diak)
    Hello,

I've just started at university on a physics degree and am having a bit of trouble adapting to how university works.

I am enjoying the lectures, made good friends, etc. but I cannot get to grips with the new style of learning.

The main issues I have are:
    • What am I supposed to do after a lecture?
    • Which books am I supposed to get?
    • How do I know that I've covered everything outside of the lecture as that seems to be what its all about (lectures give you basics but its your job to find out the rest)?
    • All articles I've looked at say, to get a first class degree you need to be constantly questioning things... I'm doing physics - this isn't really an opinions-based subjects?

I work best when I have a set routine to follow, however I'm not good at creating that routine. As soon as I hear people say, "I did some revision today" I instantly panic thinking that I'm falling behind etc.

Any help would be very very much appreciated.
    Well firstly, there's no need to panic over falling behind at this stage, you've justs started. University, or in fact any level of education, isn't about comparing yourself to anybody else. Your experience is what you make of it...which somewhat leads to this question, I imagine.

If you think there's more to get out of the stuff learnt in a lecture then go ahead and read up on the subject - in a textbook, on the web. A bit of 'outside reading' never harmed anyones degree result and if you include things you learn/expand on from your own reading in your coursework/exams then it tends to be worth a few extra marks. As for books you take out, your course should provide with some form of reading list. Usually the recommended reading is sufficent but sometimes the other reading may also catch your interest. No need to buy them all, see what's useful by getting books out from the library and see which ones you like best and can use in the future. If you don't have some of reading list then pursue it with your tutor/lecturers.

As for 'questioning things,' that doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a different idea or opinion on what's been taught. In science-based subject, 'questioning things' is usually used to refer to satisfying your curiosity over principles taught. A lecturer may describe how something works but maybe doesn't explain it. A question in your head might be 'well, why does it work like that?'...and that's where your outside reading comes in.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.