Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Es gibt auch 180 verschiedene und kontroverse historische, pädagogische und künstlerische Museen und viele Weltkrieg II Gedenkstätten, nur einen Steinwurf von viele spannend Ausflugszielen entfernt.

Can someone tell me if this sentence is correct? Specifically the last clause as i am trying to say ' a stones throw away from..' because I'm unsure. Thank you!
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by keila.4)
    Es gibt auch 180 verschiedene und kontroverse historische, pädagogische und künstlerische Museen und viele Weltkrieg II Gedenkstätten, nur einen Steinwurf von viele spannend Ausflugszielen entfernt.

Can someone tell me if this sentence is correct? Specifically the last clause as i am trying to say ' a stones throw away from..' because I'm unsure. Thank you!
    Heya, I'm going to put this in the languages forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=98

ReputationRep:

Es gibt 180 verschiedenen, kontroversen, historischen, pädagogischen und künstlerischen Museen und auch viele Gedenkstätten des zweiten Weltkriegs, die nur einen Steinwurf von vielen spannenden Ausflugszielen entfernt sind.

I've put what I've changed in bold I hope I haven't missed anything/that it's correct! If anyone finds any mistakes feel free to let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloevictoria)
    Es gibt 180 verschiedenen, kontroversen, historischen, pädagogischen und künstlerischen Museen und auch viele Gedenkstätten des zweiten Weltkriegs, die nur einen Steinwurf von vielen spannenden Ausflugszielen entfernt sind.

I've put what I've changed in bold I hope I haven't missed anything/that it's correct! If anyone finds any mistakes feel free to let me know
    Es gibt 180 verschiedene, (kontroverse) historische, pädagogische und künstlerische Museen .... is actually correct, although I don't know what she meant with kontroverse, historische Museen. The other part of the sentence is much improved by your corrections, though.

ReputationRep:
    Es gibt auch 180 verschiedene und kontrovers historische, pädagogische und künstlerische Museen und viele Gedenkstätte aus dem zweiten Weltkrieg, die nur einen Steinwurf von viele spannend Ausflugszielen entfernt sind.

Thats correct, I'm German

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    Es gibt 180 verschiedene, (kontroverse) historische, pädagogische und künstlerische Museen .... is actually correct, although I don't know what she meant with kontroverse, historische Museen. The other part of the sentence is much improved by your corrections, though.
    Can you explain why the plurals don't have an 'n' on the end? I always got this marked on essays Thanks!

ReputationRep:

As grizzly said, the first part of the sentence until 'und' makes little sense. I'd say,

Es gibt 180 verschiedene Museen, unter anderem historische, pädagogische und künstlerische, und zahlreiche Gedenkstätten ...

This still isn't perfect as you're trying to put too much information into just one sentence, which is never a good idea.

'kontrovers historische Museen' doesn't make sense, what sort of Museum are you looking for?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Not so bad. But it can be a little bit more clearer in your expression. I would write the sentence in that way:

Es gibt 180 verschiedene kontrovers-historische, pädagogische und künstlerische Museen sowie viele Gedenkstätten des 2.Weltkrieges*, die nur einen Steinwurf von vielen spannenden Ausflugzielen entfernt sind.

*Note: the number 2 in World War II comes first in German. The dot after the number is the same as the ending 'nd' for second, so 2.Weltkrieg instead of Weltkrieg II.

Otherwise you can compare my expression with your own one.

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain why the plurals don't have an 'n' on the end? I always got this marked on essays Thanks!

I'm German and I do this by ear, and it simply doesn't sound right. When saying it out loud you have to twist your tongue, and that's why I know it's wrong. Maybe there's an explanation as to why it doesn't sound right. Simplified:

Ein historisches Museum

Viele historische Museen

Ein historischer Platz

Viele historische Plätze

Eine historische Frauenstatue

Viele historische Frauenstatuen

ReputationRep:
    that is, because there is no article:

historische Museen
    die historischen Museen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    that is, because there is no article:

historische Museen
    die historischen Museen
    Danke!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.