Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Father's educational achievements strongest indicator of childrens' academic success watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Do you have a link to the studies...?
    http://www.psy.miami.edu/faculty/dme....04.curdir.pdf here's a review article
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Observatory)
    http://www.psy.miami.edu/faculty/dme....04.curdir.pdf here's a review article
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How do people who are arguing this is due to culture, parental encouragement, and parental wealth respond to the result of twin studies that show the success of children more strongly correlates to that of the biological parent than the adoptive parents? Is it not more likely to be merely the result of inherited intelligence?
    Equal numbers of genes come from father and mother (afaik - not a biologist)

if the educational attainment of the father seems to be significantly more important than that of the mother, some further explanation would seem to be needed.

You've linked a study which looks at intelligence - not success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Equal numbers of genes come from father and mother (afaik - not a biologist)

if the educational attainment of the father seems to be significantly more important than that of the mother, some further explanation would seem to be needed.

You've linked a study which looks at intelligence - not success.
    It doesn't say the mother's education doesn't correlate, just that the father's correlates more:

The report from the Office for National Statistics claims that children are seven and a half times less likely to be successful at school if their father failed to achieve, compared with children with highly educated fathers.

A mother’s education level was important to a lesser degree, with a child approximately three times as likely to have a low educational outcome if their mother had a low level of education.
    Why could that be? Principally, women with equal IQs may be on average less educated especially in terms of higher degrees.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's a taxi driver with few O Levels (he's dyslexic and went to school in a time where it went unnoticed) and he hates it. The only similarity in where I'm heading is that I have to work my arse off just like he does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hmm, feckless might be a bit strong..? Parents might not have the knowledge to be able to tell when a school is bad, or they might not have the resources to be able to move their children out of a bad school. Cultural Capital.

Also the quote in my OP:
    I don't like excuses, there are libraries everywhere in Britain, if one is ignorant they should communicate with the teachers (if they will listen of course) or a local Church or something else, they should do something at the very least as parents to help their child get the advantage.

ReputationRep:
    How do people who are arguing this is due to culture, parental encouragement, and parental wealth respond to the result of twin studies that show the success of children more strongly correlates to that of the biological parent than the adoptive parents? Is it not more likely to be merely the result of inherited intelligence?
    I don't dispute this at all, but I have doubts that people can intuitively know complex mathematics and ideas like 'democracy' that people didn't know for centuries without assistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    I don't dispute this at all, but I have doubts that people can intuitively know complex mathematics and ideas like 'democracy' that people didn't know for centuries without assistance.
    Intelligence is roughly a measure of the speed at which people acquire new knowledge, and the maximum complexity of that knowledge. Being born with a higher intelligence does not mean being born with all the knowledge that it could one day be used to acquire.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is roughly a measure of the speed at which people acquire new knowledge, and the maximum complexity of that knowledge. Being born with a higher intelligence does not mean being born with all the knowledge that it could one day be used to acquire.
    I would say its more learning and understanding rather than acquiring. Memory is a small component of overall intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Social factors will effect that though won't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenorebrem)
    I would say its more learning and understanding rather than acquiring. Memory is a small component of overall intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't say anything about intelligence being limited to memory.

(Original post by DErasmus)
    Social factors will effect that though won't they?
    If you think so, is that because you have measured them and excluded alternative causations, or is it just a dogma? The evidence I have seen suggests that intelligence is predominantly genetic.

ReputationRep:
    My dad got good grades ( American Equivalent) Studied economics and is now an IB

My mum I would say is the most academic of the pair all A's in O Level and A Level. 1st in her Med degree, she's now a physiatrist.

I would say they both influenced me to work hard academically, I applied for Med School didn't get in far from perfect grades, then decided to go down the IB route and study Economics and Accounting.

But then my older sister is the only one who despite going to a Private school Failed her GCSEs and didn't progress onto A Levels got married and now lives happily in a big house with a wealthy man, so I guess women do tend to marry up, and men would prefer to marry down, I presume it makes them feel more superior as they like the role of the breadwinner. so despite my sister not making it academically the ideology both parents invoked onto me and my siblings about success is the main reason we all work hard everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahonsi)
    My dad got good grades ( American Equivalent) Studied economics and is now an IB

My mum I would say is the most academic of the pair all A's in O Level and A Level. 1st in her Med degree, she's now a physiatrist.

I would say they both influenced me to work hard academically, I applied for Med School didn't get in far from perfect grades, then decided to go down the IB route and study Economics and Accounting.

But then my older sister is the only one who despite going to a Private school Failed her GCSEs and didn't progress onto A Levels got married and now lives happily in a big house with a wealthy man, so I guess women do tend to marry up, and men would prefer to marry down, I presume it makes them feel more superior as they like the role of the breadwinner. so despite my sister not making it academically the ideology both parents invoked onto me and my siblings about success is the main reason we all work hard everyday.
    Lol the last sentence doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the story I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Lol the last sentence doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the story I'm afraid.
    Haha, am just saying despite having both Parents with great academical success, not all children follow in the footsteps. So there are anomalies. In my case my sister. Maybe out of rebellion who knows but parents do have an impact on their children's academical choices but that's not always the case.

Edit: And something as simple as values is worth more, that what grades your parent had. You could have a parent without Olevels but a success with their children academically as a result of simple values they live by, in our case "there are many Roads to the top of the mountain" in theory you can become rich one way or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahonsi)
    Haha, am just saying despite having both Parents with great academical success, not all children follow in the footsteps. So there are anomalies. In my case my sister. Maybe out of rebellion who knows but parents do have an impact on their children's academical choices but that's not always the case.

Edit: And something as simple as values is worth more, that what grades your parent had. You could have a parent without Olevels but a success with their children academically as a result of simple values they live by, in our case "there are many Roads to the top of the mountain" in theory you can become rich one way or the other.
    Yes understand what you said about values. It's the working hard bit that was confusing. I'm sure that if your sister had intended to do well, she would have worked hard and passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Btw I can sort of relate as my parents passed those values onto me and my sibling, it turned out fine for me but...:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yes understand what you said about values. It's the working hard bit that was confusing. I'm sure that if your sister had intended to do well, she would have worked hard and passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's exactly what I thought, she just didn't show effort in her studies, but she got there in the End. Besides everyone's priorities are different. And yes Values are more important then stick with you and pretty much guide you, but that is also subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Not really that surprising (although the difference between mother/father is) although, personally, I found my dad living in a council flat on benefits pretty good motivation to not end up in the same situation :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my parents have qualifications but both are successful entrepreneurs and I am now a postgraduate student. My father is incredibly intelligent but he's just not academic smart. He rarely went to school as he found it boring and not challenging so would instead go and work for people whilst getting taught at home.

ReputationRep:
    Many argue intelligence in the way many people believe doesn't even exist. Others argue multiple intelligences exist and that is why different people excel in different areas because they're more intelligent in one area than another. All of this is open to debate as they're nothing more than theories.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.