Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I am wondering whether I should have a backup uni...

I am predicted A*AB and I am confident I can achieve this. I am thinking of applying to universities with AAB as the highest entry requirements, and ABB as the lowest.

Would it be wise for me to have one university as a backup with lower grade requirements that I am certain I could achieve, for example, BBC? Or would this be wasting an application to a better uni?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's entirely your choice. No point applying somewhere you have no intention of going. If you're pretty sure your grades won't drop below a certain level then it's not unreasonable to keep that as your lowest. Basically, if it all goes a bit wrong on the day and you don't achieve what you want/need then are you prepared to accept through clearing or take a year out? If yes, then it's fine. If you're not prepared to do either of these things then i'd recommend having a fairly solid insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have a back up. Both insurance and firm had the same grades. The main thing is you want to go to a uni and are willing to pay. If you don't do as well as you expect its so much easier to miss your offers and take a year out or clearing to go somewhere you want to.
    Just ask yourself if you'd rather take a year out or go to uni next year. I'm sure you'll be fine and get the grades tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzones)
    Hey

I am wondering whether I should have a backup uni...

I am predicted A*AB and I am confident I can achieve this. I am thinking of applying to universities with AAB as the highest entry requirements, and ABB as the lowest.

Would it be wise for me to have one university as a backup with lower grade requirements that I am certain I could achieve, for example, BBC? Or would this be wasting an application to a better uni?

Thanks!
    Surely the ABB would be the back up

ReputationRep:
    This comes down to 2 questions:
    1) Are there any unis with lower boundaries that you could go to without really regretting not going to your first choice?
    2) Does your school/college usually let people resit the year if they don't get the grades they want?
    You can usually make an educated decision based on your answers to those.

ReputationRep:
    Only if it's a university you're willing to go to.

ReputationRep:
    Only if there's a university with lower grade boundaries that you'd actually want to go to. I've only submitted an application to one university, because it's the only one with a course I really wanted to study, there's not much point adding others you wouldn't be comfortable going to. Really though, if you're confident you'll get the grades you're predicted, is there much point applying to one with a much lower requirement? It's entirely up to you though, if it would put your mind at ease, then go for it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.